Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Francis! Francis! X3 Detailed Review
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Francis!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
fullsack
fullsack
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra Semiautomatica
Grinder: Versalab, Super Jolly,...
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Sun Feb 19, 2006, 3:34pm
Subject: Re: Francis! Francis! X3 Detailed Review

I've always had misgivings about the plastic gizmo that inserts into the porta-filter.  I swear I can taste the plastic in the shots.  Did you use that thing, leave it out or subsitute something else?  Also, I wish the electrical cord was a little longer.

Doug Jamieson

www.fullsackjack.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gammeltoft
gammeltoft
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Dalla Corte Mini
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Roaster: Alpenröst
Posted Thu Jul 20, 2006, 3:57am

Hi all,

I just bought my second FF X3. Somehow these seem to go very cheap on eBay and they are excellent for having as a machine at the office, and as I am sharing my time between several places, well, you figure it out....

The machine is produced in 2000, so naturally I was a bit concerned about its state. When I got it, I was immediately shocked by the state of the dispersion screen, filter holders and baskets. Huge amounts of coffee gunk had been deposited. I don't think the previous owner actually bothered to clean it or the filter holders a single time during his ownership. Anyway, some soda-based espresso cleaner took care of all that. Opening it up, however, it looked absolutely pristine. It is actually in a lot better condition than my 2003 machine that developed a nasty leak at the boiler some time before I got it back for proper cleaning and de-scaling.

But the real surprise came when I had a closer look at the thermostat. Not only is a proper probe thermostat, as displayed in the detailed review (unlike e.g. the Silvia's little glue-on thing) - it is actually temperature adjustable!! This is what Mark was raving on about in the Zaffiro review and the thermostat in my FF looks exactly the same and can be adjusted by a little screw. Now, the model reviewed by Mark and the one I got in 2003 (produced 2002) seem to have the same probe but a different and unadjustable thermostat. Anyone know when they changed this? Further, I would think that it would be easy getting a cheap Jaeger or Prodigy thermostat and replacing the newer ones for an ajustable one, if one wants the functionality of manual adjustment.

Best

Thomas

Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water.  ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674
 View Profile Link to this post
dougiedd

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Sep 23, 2006, 11:23am

Plastic device in Francis X5 portafilter: ?
what is up with that anyway? what kind of good Italian design is that?
I dont want to drink plastic!
Anyone have any advice?
tadaoo
tadaoo

Espresso: rancilio silvia
Grinder: ranclilio rocky doserless
Posted Sun Nov 12, 2006, 1:38pm

niles Said:

Have just gotten my X3 Trio and thought I'd post some improvements that I think the X3 has undergone since Mark's review.

The froth aider easily unscrews and is therefore very easy to clean or get rid of.
The reservoir is easy to refill (possibly new/improved system or me not getting what the problem is/was, for mr there is a tube hanging down into the reservoir and nothing more)

Also a kit for ground coffee no longer ships with the new model and, as of yet, there isn't even one available for separate purchase so for now I have to do with pods (hopefully for a rather short period).

In my manual I see no banning of using the top as a cup warmer. Also, in the X-prject brochure pdf that Mark links to in the review there is a whole lot of cups on the top in the pictures.

well, that's my two cents (for now, anyway)
/niles

Posted November 28, 2005 link

hi Niles

do you have any update on finding a ground coffee portafilter kit for your FFX3Trio?
I have ordered one today, but it sems that the Trio group can only take pods portafilter, which means we are stuck with pods, when the older model FFX3 Classic (as they call it in europe) could function with both.
I found ground coffee portafilters for sale online for FF machines, but i need to find out if they can be use with the Trio.

Any information welcome,

Bon cafe,

t
carlsilver

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola/La...
Grinder: la Pavoni Jolly/Ascaso i...
Vac Pot: Normax
Drip: Melitta (manual)
Roaster: no
Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007, 1:54am

Interesting review but I don't understand what's the point of making a contest between 2 machines using  ONLY "pretty bad beans"(!). It appears to me that the conclusions must be forcefully misleading. It would be like comparing 2 hi fi systems using exclusively a very bad recording...
carlsilver

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola/La...
Grinder: la Pavoni Jolly/Ascaso i...
Vac Pot: Normax
Drip: Melitta (manual)
Roaster: no
Posted Fri Mar 16, 2007, 2:04am

tadaoo Said:

it sems that the Trio group can only take pods portafilter, which means we are stuck with pods, when the older model FFX3 Classic (as they call it in europe) could function with both.
I found ground coffee portafilters for sale online for FF machines, but i need to find out if they can be use with the Trio.

Any information welcome,

Posted November 12, 2006 link

I'm sad to say that the new Trio can only work with pods.
I_Need_An_Intervention

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2007, 5:19am

CoffeeKid (Mark), you freaking rock!!! I love what you do for COFFEEGEEK.COM! Thanks for your hard work on these detailed reviews and the excellent information you are making avaliable to us!!
DavidAronson

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Zassenhaus
Posted Mon Oct 13, 2008, 7:20am

Hello Mark.  I got the impression that you were going to write about the FFX1, but it seems that's not the case.  Did you ever get to check it out, and what are your opinions regarding the beast.  When I asked about it on the forum most of the replies were far from ecstatic.  My impression is that it should be at least as good as the FFX3.  What's the deal?

thanks,
David
andyandrews35

Espresso: Francis! Francis! X3
Grinder: BrAun KMM30
Roaster: POPLITE # 04820
Posted Sat Nov 29, 2008, 4:45pm

I own the F! F! X3.  Did I miss something or did you omit the part about having to disengage the bottom of the special tamper and leave that in the portafilter?  This is because the head is really designed for a pod portafilter.  If you don't use this method, the dispersion screen and surrounding area will become encrusted very quickly.  But once one accepts this quirk, good espresso happens!
andyandrews35

Espresso: Francis! Francis! X3
Grinder: BrAun KMM30
Roaster: POPLITE # 04820
Posted Sat Nov 29, 2008, 5:02pm

dougiedd Said:

Plastic device in Francis X5 portafilter: ?
what is up with that anyway? what kind of good Italian design is that?
I dont want to drink plastic!
Anyone have any advice?

Posted September 23, 2006 link

Just talking about the X3.  Don't know where the X5 comes into the picture talking about the X3 review.  I felt the same way about plastic.  Had I realized that one must use the special tamper with the X3, I probably would not have bought it.  But now I like it.

All I can tell you is, there's plastic and then there's plastic.  The special tamper is made of two kinds of plastic.  The bottom part that is left in the portafilter is bakelite.  It is inert.  The plus is that the group head is guaranteed to stay clean.  This helps me because I need to pull a couple shots every morning prior to a long commute!
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Francis!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255975008011)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+