Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Francis! Francis! X3 Detailed Review
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Francis!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
espressobsessed
espressobsessed
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco Strada & GB5
Grinder: LM Vulcano, Anfim, Ditting
Vac Pot: Hario Deco
Drip: Metal filter pourover, FP &...
Roaster: Ambex ym-5 with Drumroaster...
Posted Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:59pm
Subject: Re: Francis! Francis! X3 Detailed Review

Out of curiosity, do you think it would be possible to plug the froth aider hole, and thereby improving frothing performance?  

I've found it difficult to get the amount of crema Mark has in the ristrettos he pulled during the test.  I suspect my bean freshness isn't up to par (2 week old s-bucks decaf espresso).  

Does anyone have any tips on how to surf the temperature on this machine?  I steam first, then brew, not before I run water through the empty brewhead (there's a lot of steam flashing to water).  

Still, I'm in the dark a little on how to get optimum results on this machine.  I've been doing the 30-pound tamp, and my grind is about as fine as it should be (bunches, then crumbles when pinched between thumb and index).  

Rrrg!

blog: espressolab.ca
work: museocoffee.com

owner/barista at Museo Coffee
Saskatoon SK Canada
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
slee10

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Cremina 2011, Elektra SA
Grinder: Versalab M3
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Mar 26, 2004, 7:56pm

I tried the Starbucks decaf beans and got lousy results.  I then tried pulling shots using fresher beans (Black Cat decaf) and I got wonderful shots with with good crema.  You'll need a really good grinder - as someone else on this forum pointed out to me, the X3 isn't very forgiving.
 View Profile Link to this post
espressobsessed
espressobsessed

Posted Fri Mar 26, 2004, 9:26pm

Thanks for your reply Slee,

I suspected so much from the starbucks bean.  

Do you think the A9 doesn't cut it (not a pun!!)?   I did a slight alteration to it to get the fine grind I need that I couldn't get in its stock format.  

I do have some time remaining before I can return it to the store.  I paid 172 CDN, tax in.  Think I can do better?  I would LOVE to have an ss rocky or even one of the new innovas.  the mazzer, sadly is out of my range.  I looked at the maestro, but the local retailer is selling it for $220CDN... a little steep!!

Saskatoon SK Canada
slee10

Espresso: Cremina 2011, Elektra SA
Grinder: Versalab M3
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Mar 27, 2004, 7:27am

Good Morning,

Not familiar with the A9 grinder.   I use the Innova I2 doserless (they also make it with a doser) which rates equally to the Mazzer Mini in grind quality and actually beats the Mazzer mini for the minuteness of adjustment.  The Mazzer is better built, heavier, wider burrs and is designed for low volume commercial use (grinds FASTER and quietly) and that is what you are paying for.  As the folks at Chris Coffee said:  a Rolls may be a better built car than a Chevy, but both will get you to the grocery store at the same time."  The Innova sells for about $170 US or approx $231 CDN ($1 US = $1.32 CDN).  The 3 highly rated vendors that I spoke to (2 of them do not even sell the Innova) told me to save my money and stick with my Innova - for my use it was a waste of money and they didn't want to "take me".  

I was told that the minuteness of the adjustments may make it difficult for a newbie to get right but I have not found that to be the case.  On my 4th try I started getting good results.  By my 6th or 7th they were amazing (for my skill level)!   Of course, it IS nice to have a Rolls in the garage!
espressobsessed
espressobsessed

Posted Sat Mar 27, 2004, 11:15am

Interesting.  Thanks for the feedback.  The Innova was probably the one grinder I was most interested in.  When I go to Seattle next week, I'm going to take a good look at the Innova conical doserless, if I can find a retailer.  I'm sure the $60 will be worth it in the long run!!

Saskatoon SK Canada
RAS
RAS

Espresso: PV Lusso, Cremina, Oly...
Grinder: OE Pharos
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Manual (funnel)
Roaster: Heat gun
Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 2:25pm

Hello espressobsessed,

My KA A9 is going back... And I wasn't even using it for espresso! When I started noticing, after a month of use, "dust and boulders" in the spent grounds, I was done. And, if you're over your return-period with whomever you bought it from, may be time to undo your mod and rag on KitchenAid. I've heard rumor that they'll take it back and refund your money. You do have a one-year hassle-free replacement policy.

I replaced my A9 with an Innova I2, and can recommend it completely, though my use has only been over the last couple days. Incredibly consistent grind. But it's slow compared to the A9... Though that's a good thing. The burr speed in the A9 is way too fast.

Got mine here. Peter was great to deal with.

I'm catching this thread about a month late; hope you can undo the A9. You'll be happy you did.

Bob
BillyRoy

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Roaster: FreshRoast Plus
Posted Thu May 27, 2004, 10:03am

Mark,

Thanks so much for the excellent review of the X3.  I am one of you typical new comers to espresso.  My current setup is single serving stove top machine and a stove top steamer.  I am looking to upgrade and if money was not an issue I would plunk down for Silvia and Rocky.

So I am thinking Solis SL70 or Francis X3 and a Solis Maestro grinder.  But the various tradeoffs are making this difficult.  The steaming ability of the Solis is a big plus, but the small group head and large amount of plastic doesn’t wow me.  In some ways the Francis machines seams better but then the steaming abilities concern me.  I think I may be spoiled by my stove top steamer.  It flat out steams.  Swirling milk and pourable micro foam.  It has a volume of 12 oz (3/4 full) and sitting on top of a 12,500 Btu burner (that does not cycle) it is amazing.  I think I will keep it around for times when I need to steam for multiple drinks.

So here is my roundabout question.  If you were trapped on a deserted Island (that somehow had fresh coffee and electricity) and couldn’t have Silvia & Rocky (or better) what would you choose?  Is the answer just to buck up and get the better equipment?  It tough to be a newbie.

Bill
Lopez Island, WA
matsg
matsg
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Emilia Deluxe
Grinder: Innova I2 DL
Drip: Philips HD7634
Posted Mon Jul 26, 2004, 7:41am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for a great review. I just got my new X3 delivered today, and I decided to buy it much because of this review.

Maybe the Francis Francis! people read the review too, because on my machine the overflow tube is flush with the "ceiling" above the reservoir, so inserting the reservoir is a piece of cake.

-Mats

PS. My manual states that you should "under no circumstances" use the top of the machine as a cup-warmer. Does your manual say so as well? Would the reason be machine overheating because the cups prevents cool air from cooling the top of the machine?
niles

Posted Mon Nov 28, 2005, 12:20am

Have just gotten my X3 Trio and thought I'd post some improvements that I think the X3 has undergone since Mark's review.

1. The froth aider easily unscrews and is therefore very easy to clean or get rid of.
  2. The reservoir is easy to refill (possibly new/improved system or me not getting what the problem is/was, for mr there is a tube hanging down into the reservoir and nothing more)

Also a kit for ground coffee no longer ships with the new model and, as of yet, there isn't even one available for separate purchase so for now I have to do with pods (hopefully for a rather short period).

In my manual I see no banning of using the top as a cup warmer. Also, in the X-prject brochure pdf that Mark links to in the review there is a whole lot of cups on the top in the pictures.

well, that's my two cents (for now, anyway)
/niles
niles

Posted Wed Dec 7, 2005, 12:20am

I'm not sure about this but also FF! may have implemented the change Mark suggests in the conclusion.
When I steam the light goes on and off frequently and since I'm a too much of a layman I don't know if this indicates that the problem with steaming power is solved via trick Solis trick or something like it or if nothing's changed since Mark's review...
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Francis!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.223253011703)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+