Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Thermos Nissan Detailed Review
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Thermos Nissan...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Jun 1, 2004, 1:00am
Subject: Thermos Nissan Detailed Review

Thermos Nissan Detailed Review

We take a very detailed and in many ways unique look at a wide sampling from the Thermos Nissan lineup of hot beverage containers and products.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jittery

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 26, 2004, 2:17pm
Subject: Re: Thermos Nissan Detailed Review

Hey all. Just discovered this site, posting for the first time. I'm a serious coffee drinker, spoiled by my Italian family. Extremely picky about the morning brew. Hence the following question about thermal mugs.

I'm a writer who works at home or in coffee shops and have not needed a thermal coffee mug for years...until now. I'm about to begin a university program that will take me to chilly, rural Vermont for the next three Januaries (and two Junes). I've been advised to bring my own coffee, plenty of it, and the best insulated mug I can afford. The problem is, the best mugs, such as Nissan Thermos, all boast of being stainless steel "inside and out." I like the durability and insulation of stainless. But I don't like the way it makes the coffee taste. And I've found in the past that stainless carafes and mugs, over time, become impossible to clean. What I want is something with a glass liner like the plastic carafe I use at home, but less unwieldy and more durable for the road.

Does anyone know of a company that makes a mug or tumbler with a stainless shell and a glass-lined interior? Or a durable mug with some other kind of liner that doesn't impart the off taste of stainless or plastic but is still easy to clean? Thermos makes a beverage bottle with a glass liner, but they don't put the Nissan name on it and they sell it for eight bucks, so I'm suspicious about the durability and quality. Zojirushi bills their stainless mugs as having an "easy to clean" interior but I can't find any information about what that interior is made from. Perhaps someone out there who owns a Zojirushi can give me more info.

Any guidance would be appreciated...
 View Profile Link to this post
expobar

Posted Thu Oct 28, 2004, 6:10pm

Go to a lot of local coffee shops, one is destined to sell a porcelain/china travel mug.  I really want to get one, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
flatearth

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Feb 27, 2005, 6:02pm

I actually know just about nothing about coffee and I bought this nissan thermos bottle knowing nothing of its construction or engineering.  I was so absolutely astounded at how well it worked that I went online to read about it and came across this article.  I'm floored by how good this bottle is - really sensational.
Anf51

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri May 12, 2006, 3:23pm

Mark

I love the Nissan Thermos.  It really doesn't matter what kind either.  Nothing keeps coffee hotter than Nissan.  Thanks for the review

Anf
varuscelli_II
varuscelli_II

Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Posted Mon Mar 12, 2007, 7:09am

This is a fantastic review.  

I've been looking at the Nissan offerings for a bit now, but "here, there and everywhere" across the internet trying to compare notes from various sources.  This is a great consolidated review that has saved me a lot of time in my research.  

Now that it's year 2007, there might be a couple of things that have changed (maybe some new products), but this review is still a winner and sure helped me sort out my thoughts on the various tumblers and carafes I have been scouting.  

Thanks, Mark.  

Al Ruscelli
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Pacman

Espresso: manual
Grinder: Kitchenaid Pro
Vac Pot: Nicro
Drip: discarded
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2007, 9:12am

I have the leakproof mug with the big handle and the carabiner.  I really don't like it, because after it has sat for an hour or two, the only way I can get the top open is to use a pair of pliars (I stick the two handles into the two indentations on the top, and twist.  I don't have arthritis, and have a strong grip, but absolutely can't open it without a tool.  It needs a pressure relief valve which could be pushed, to eliminate the vacuum which is created as the contents cool, but which would otherwise preserve the absolute leakproof nature of the mug.  On trips I now use a GoodGrips tumbler from Bed, Bath, & Beyond, because I can open it with the push of a button - great at highway speeds.
Pacman

Espresso: manual
Grinder: Kitchenaid Pro
Vac Pot: Nicro
Drip: discarded
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2007, 9:20am

I should have also mentioned that the GoodGrips tumbler is nowhere near as good at keeping coffee hot, although it does seem to be leakproof.
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2007, 11:24am

If anyone is looking for the TGS 1000 Carafe there are several Ebay Stores selling new ones for under $25.00. I just bought one for $20 from PERKYS COFFEE CO using the Make Offer option. Looking elsewhere on the net I see retailers still asking $34-$49.

John
iisan7

Posted Fri Feb 4, 2011, 8:14pm

If anyone who owns the 16oz briefcase/backpack bottle can see if an aeropress fits over it, I'm sure I'm not the only one curious to know...
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Thermos Nissan...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271591901779)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+