Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Mazzer Mini Grinder Detailed Review
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Mazzer Mini...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
DavidMLewis

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Infuze
Drip: Clever
Roaster: Hottop, HWP
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2002, 6:00am
Subject: Grind adjustment repeatability

Great review, Mark. One thing you didn't mention is the direct connection between the stepless adjustment design and the repeatability when dialing between different grinds. All grinders have play in the threads that hold the burr group, increasing as the grinder breaks in. Rocky owners are familiar with the grind changing by a couple of numbers over the first few months. In the Mazzer, the springs always push the burrs apart, against one side of the threads. Because the play is always taken up in the same direction, the grind will always be the same when you adjust and then go back to the same point on the dial. Removes a major source of frustration when trying to dial in a grind.

David
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espresso_jim
espresso_jim

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2002, 9:48am
Subject: What you said....

Mark,
I have come close to doing a consumer review of the Mini a couple of times but would just end up saying "it is the best" over and over.  I simply don't have the expertise to get to the finest detail that you do.

On the forks, I have read that they can be adjusted upward a litle bit but it requires removing bottom parts.  Me, I just pull slowly and get straight drops.  I kind of like the space as I can flatten out the grounds fairly easy as they pile up in the protafilter.

I have awaited your review of the Mini for a while now and am glad for the wait.  I was not disappointed.  Your attention to detail is great.  Both you and the Mazzer Mini rate a 10.0 in my book.

Jim
 View Profile Link to this post
blkeagl
blkeagl

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, Silex
Drip: Whassat?
Roaster: Hottop Bean Roaster, HW...
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2002, 11:29am
Subject: How can I disagree...

I got the deal from Chris Coffee (right before this review came out) and I've been very happy with the grinder.

I guess if I had to complain about something, it would be the following issues :

• grinds in the chute from burrs to doser (not many, but they do have to be swept out). This is perhaps the only area where the Solis is better.

• Grinds left in the doser (again minor, but there).

• If they really MUST supply a tamper, even if only intended for a light initial tamp, why can't it be a 58mm tamper?

Wow. It's an awesome machine.

Tarik
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
DavidMLewis

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Infuze
Drip: Clever
Roaster: Hottop, HWP
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2002, 1:10pm
Subject: Boy, if this is the only complaint you can think of...

It would be nice to have the option of a dark smoke hopper, to protect the beans from sunlight if they're left in there.
gauperaa
gauperaa
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Euro2000 Junior, Rancilio...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Mini eSantos
Drip: OBH Nordica King of Coffee
Roaster: Imex-CR100, Princess popper,...
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2002, 2:37pm
Subject: Sluggish doser?

Great review Mark! I've tried the Mazzer at a friends place. Liked it a lot, but I was a bit disappointed in the sluggishness of the doser lever. I'm used to being able to repeatedly click the lever when grinding, and this seems to demand a lot more effort than on the rocky for example. Do you have any thoughts on this? I guess the reason is the weight of all the metal parts.

Thomas Gauperaa.
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2002, 3:22pm
Subject: Doser Lever, other comments

First, thanks everyone for the very positive feedback. It really makes my day when it appears as if something I've written is well received.

Thomas, I know what you describe - I tried to describe this as well with "missing clicks" comments peppered throughout the article, but I didn't articulate it well. I think the Mazzer's dosing mechanism lever is beefier than a Rocky or even the Rossi I tested (Rossis have problems with their doser levers, btw, it's a common repair item); the tradeoff is what you call 'sluggish performance" - you get something that should hypothetically last forever, but you miss out on snappy feel and the solid clicks of the vane mechanism slotting into the next pull.

After using the grinder for so many months, (and also, I've had to replace the internal springs and lever arm on a Rocky doser once), I'll take the sluggish, less than snappy feel of the lever arm if I get lifelong service from it :)
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2002, 6:44pm
Subject: Burr Replacement

Great review, obviously a labor of love.

However there's one error -- the manual recommends changing burrs every 300 KG or 660 lbs (about 8 years for my usage rate!)

Jim
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2002, 7:50pm
Subject: Burr replacement

Already made the change based on some alt.coffee comments earlier today :)
milnerb1

Espresso: Vivaldi II, Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Mulino
Roaster: Behmor 1600, BBQ drum,...
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2002, 2:03am
Subject: Hoppers and Forks...

Outstanding review Mark.  You really hit it on the head and covered nearly every aspect of the machine.  One potential improvement would be to have an optional smaller hopper that would be shorter and hold maybe 60-80 grams (i.e. one day's worth) of beans.  This would provide for lower clearance for under-cabinet and would make it possible to re-fill the hopper without having to move the grinder.

Regarding the forks, you can move the forks up by aout 1/2 inch, and I have done so on my mini.  While this does help, it is not sufficient to fully avoid spilling grounds.   To do this you need to fully remove the two screws holding the fork on the underside.  The only way to fully remove these screws is to take the base-plate off of the unit.  Total time required, 10 minutes.

Thanks again for your great review and all your work for us Coffeegeeks.
gauperaa
gauperaa

Espresso: Euro2000 Junior, Rancilio...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Mini eSantos
Drip: OBH Nordica King of Coffee
Roaster: Imex-CR100, Princess popper,...
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2002, 3:57am
Subject: Doser levers

Mark, I see your point in accepting the sluggishness and getting lifelong service in return :).

The Rancilio MD-grinders are pretty sluggish too.

Have you btw tried the la cimbali magnum or the NS MDL ? They both seem to have smooth levers from what I can see and hear. I haven't tried them personally but the best coffeebars here in Oslo use them with the "repeatedly clicking" -technique.

Thomas.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Mazzer Mini...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.224447965622)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+