Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Mazzer Mini Grinder Detailed Review
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Mazzer Mini...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jdshinn

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Valentina, Solis SL-90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Capresso...
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2002, 4:55am
Subject: A deal at $375.00!

Mark,

Thanks for a 1st class review.  I have been planning on purchasing an Innova Flat Burr grinder w/doser.  You have changed my mind.  For an extra $130.00, I will own a grinder that is the ultimate home grinder and it should last a lifetime.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
larsh
larsh

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2002, 6:27am
Subject: Re: Mazzer Mini Grinder Detailed Review

Outstanding review and pictures Mark. I have owned a Mini for about eight months now and I fully agree with your review.

One thing about the clearance between the fork and the hopper though: I do agree with you that a smaller clearance would be preferable when using a pf. However, I have to say that I find the larger clearance useful when using the Mini for french press, in which case I use a fairly standard cup or glass to collect the grounds.

Despite having owned this grinder for several months, however, the review also brought my attention to some new details I had overlooked before. I particularly appreciated the instructions on how to remove the finger guard. This has probably been the most serious concern I've had with the Mini (out of a very few concerns altogether), but I didn't know it was removable until I read the review. I'll try this first thing when I get home tonight!

Lars
 View Profile Link to this post
blkeagl
blkeagl

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, Silex
Drip: Whassat?
Roaster: Hottop Bean Roaster, HW...
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2002, 12:18pm
Subject: Fingerguard...

I removed mine by loosening the screws, removing the unit (much more easily than applying 75 pounds of pressure, and then replacing the screws.

Tarik
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
frelkins
frelkins
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: rancilio silvia; expobar...
Grinder: mazzer mini
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: bodum chambord french press
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2002, 2:51pm
Subject: mess overstated

i really have to agree with jim -- pull the lever a little more slowly and you get much much less spillage. i mean, maybe i get 1 or 2 teaspoons spilled for 3 doubles' worth of grinding, which i just toss back into the hopper.

as for the sound; heavens we geeks are picky, aren't we! i personally like the soft "whacketa-whacketa" as opposed to a loud "click-click." it's just part of the overall quietness of the machine.

that we strive to find such minute persnickety problems tells you just how great the mini is. i've had mine since april 2002, jim at 1st line was just great, as usual.

at my rate of espresso coffee usage (about 1 to 1-1/2 lbs. a month) those burrs will last me about 36 years.

so the mini's price is actually quite affordable when you think about it as a lifetime purchase. tho' by 2038 we'll probably be grinding coffee with nanotechnology or something.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2002, 4:03pm
Subject: Hey, I have to do that!

Hey, I have to find *something* wrong with the grinder, less someone call me a fanboy! :) :) :)
EdNeedham
EdNeedham
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Commercial La Pavoni #PUBS...
Grinder: Commercial La Pavoni 'ZIP'
Vac Pot: Had one...traded it for...
Drip: Chemex all the way!
Roaster: HWP, HWG, several home built...
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2002, 7:57pm
Subject: Mazzer looks like a great machine

Great review Mark.  Lot's of effort went into that review.  Now, since you're done torturing it, give the Mazzer Mini to me <grin>.
Ed Needham
narc
narc
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: MCal,PVL2
Grinder: MacapMX, vintage hand...
Roaster: GeneCafe
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2002, 5:13pm
Subject: Customizing your Mini

I was in the process of writing a consumer review.  No real need thanks to another great review. Couple notes: 1. by loosening the horizontal screws that attach the guard to the main body you can easily remove the "finger guard"; 2. Raising the portafilter fork by~1cm is possible by removing the base and loosening the two screws holding the fork to the body. IMO the small decrease is functional insignificant;  3. A plastic tamper can be used in place of the hopper if your grinding solo shots or have a height restriction. 53mm slides down reducing the popcorn effect of a low mass bean load. Question: any idea if the conical steel "doser" of the MINI-E will fit the Mini?
MarkPrince

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2002, 12:21am
Subject: A reminder to ecommerce websites

I am very disturbed by the fact that I have discovered not one, but two eCommerce stores specializing in coffee and espresso equipment, using some of my photographs from this review. Further, one vendor is using a liberal amount of my review words in their description of the Mazzer Mini.

I have sent a notice to both vendors to please remove the photographs and the offending text. I would ask that everyone remember these photographs are copyright protected, and my property. If you want to use the photographs on a commercial website, email me - I do sell a license to use (along with much larger original jpg files) for a very economical rate. That way you do the right thing - you pay someone for their work - you get a nice photo to use to sell the product. Otherwise, understand these photographs and these words are my property, and the result of many, many hours of labour. When you take them, you are stealing from me.
MarkPrince

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2002, 12:22am
Subject: A further update

One thing I don't publicize often, but I should mention this - I usually let amateur (read: not for profit, not a business) websites use some of my photos at no charge, upon request. It depends on the website of course, but so far I haven't turned down any request from a private website.
MarkPrince

Posted Sun Dec 15, 2002, 1:00am
Subject: Mazzer Mini Grinder Detailed Review

Mazzer Mini Grinder Detailed Review

Could this be the be-all, end all espresso grinder for home use? The Mazzer Mini has developed that reputation, let's see if it lives up to the hype.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Mazzer Mini...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26858997345)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+