Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
2003 Espresso Tamper Shootout
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > 2003 Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Mar 24, 2003, 1:00am
Subject: 2003 Espresso Tamper Shootout

2003 Espresso Tamper Shootout

CoffeeGeek takes a fresh look at a variety of new (and old) espresso tampers and gives you our ratings and comentary from some of the best Baristi in the Pacific Northwest.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dougwiebe
dougwiebe
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millennium
Grinder: Innova (Flat), Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Cafetino Balance, B&D Infuze
Drip: Chemex - the best!
Roaster: Poppery popper
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2003, 4:03am
Subject: Tampers

Wow - $2000 for a tamper, but I get a free machine! Gotta get me one of those. Great article, Mark. Weighed the pros and cons of each tamper well, and gave justified conclusions. Fabulous photos, too! Nice work.
phaelon56
phaelon56

Espresso: LM 4 group , Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Major, Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Fetco, Melitta
Roaster: Sivetz , Diedrich
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2003, 7:43am
Subject: My decision is made...

I'm one of many who's been fence-sittig on tamper choice for awhile but the wait is over - I'll order a Reg Barber today. Might have to get others in the future but it's a good place to start.  BY the way - my free plastic tamper was only $1,080 including the free machine - a great deal!

Surprisingly enough, the Pimp Tamper (my new moniker for the cudic zirconia sportin' model) was on the shelf in abundance at a local high end kitchen supply chain I visited the other day. Chewf central has very nice stores if you're into cooking and a better than average coffee/espresso supply section. I was stunned to see the Pimp Tamper but when you're living in Sopranos country as I am, anything can happen. Bada bing!
jroche
jroche

Espresso: Silvia, Solis SL90
Grinder: Rocky, Solis 166
Drip: Cone, press pot
Roaster: dead dead dead
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2003, 10:38am
Subject: Knock off

I find it odd you would be even the least bit hesitant to say the Rosewood is a knock off of the Reg Barber. It clearly is an attempt to cash in on one of the most respected and popular tampers to date. Just the fact that its "Rosewood" and not some other wood for petes sake. I have a great deal of respect for 1st line (I got my Rocky from them...), but this one got under my skin. Not all my purchase decisions are based solely on cost. I'm all for innovation, but knocking off someone else's work does not win you points in my book, especially on such an affordable item like a tamper. Kudos to Presso for thinking on their own and delivering a product worthy of our consideration.
espresso_jim
espresso_jim

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2003, 1:30pm
Subject: Solid Article

Great article, Mark.  I have the aluminum version of the espresso parts pro tamper (convex) and like it.  Chris Nachtrieb threw it in when I got my Tea (never even tried the plastic one).  I had a chance to use a Reg Barber a friend brought over and ordered one that night. I absolutely love this tamper.  IT just feels right and I get great shots using it, slightly better than the aluinum tamper.

Reading in between the lines, I am seeing that some of what folks think about the tampers is the fit and feel.  Smaller handed people like a different tamper than big handed people.  However, I think this only goes so far.  My hands are fairly average and the Reg Barber just flowed into them.  It was like an extension of my hand.  I would like to be able to try others without having to buy them.  The best I can do is read your fine article.  

Thanks again MArk.
 View Profile Link to this post
espresso_jim
espresso_jim

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2003, 1:32pm
Subject: Addendum

While I really like the Reg Barber, my roommate likes the aluminum better.  Both get used daily.
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2003, 9:00pm
Subject: Knockoff Redux

In retrospect, I was probably a bit too soft on the 'knockoff" aspect of the Rosewood tampers (which btw, aren't just Jim's product - several other vendors sell them, and one parts company is the major importer). But at the time of this review there was sufficient differences between the two (namely a gloss finish and the chromed base) that I minimized some of the commentary I made.

Reg is now applying a gloss finish to the handles of his tampers, so they are closer, but one question out of that: who did the gloss coat first?

In the end, yes, it's a knock off, and the Taiwanese company that makes these should have gone for a more unique design, I agree.
DavidMLewis

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Infuze
Drip: Clever
Roaster: Hottop, HWP
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2003, 11:05pm
Subject: Gourmet Espresso Tamper

If you read the material on their web site, you see that the intended use is for a five-pound tamp in a moka pot. Who knows how it works in that environment? It seems almost unfair to attempt to use it for real espresso.
fookoonetwork
fookoonetwork
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Pasquini Moka 90, Anfim...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer
Drip: none
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2003, 11:18pm
Subject: Presso tamper

I don't doubt for a moment what CoffeeKid has written that the Presso tamper creator(s) didn't even bother to look at other tampers and simply relied upon the comments of baristas to develop its tamper.  Given that there aren't exactly an infinite number of tampers to be considered and studied that point of view seems to have been quite naive.  Sufficient heft is a necessity for a tamper and I would think that no aluminum version is going to be better than the same version in stainless steel with the same external dimensions.
darkLCD

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Stainless Rocky
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2003, 5:52am
Subject: vivace ergo packer

I'm just curious as to why the Ergo Packer tamper was not included in the review.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > 2003 Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.263038158417)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+