Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Jura Capresso Impressa S9 Super Automatic
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Jura Capresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Jul 19, 2005, 5:00pm
Subject: Jura Capresso Impressa S9 Super Automatic

Jura Capresso Impressa S9 Super Automatic

CoffeeGeek takes a long overdue look at one of the top of the line consumer / office super automatics available today - the Jura Capresso Impressa S9 dual thermoblock machine.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mobleyfan
mobleyfan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jul 20, 2005, 9:11pm
Subject: Re: Jura Capresso Impressa S9 Super Automatic

I have one small comment that has nothing to do with the Jura. Regarding milk frothing, the Jura review suggests introducing air until roughly 90F and then submerging. The coffeegeek steaming tutorial that Mark links to his review suggests airing up to 100-120F for a latte and as high as 140F for making a capp. My knowledge of the subject comes mostly from reading old Daivd Schomer articles which I recall suggest 100F or so. Any further discussion of this should probably move to another area of the forum but it came up for me while reading the review.
Otherwise thanks to Mark for such an extensive review of a product even though few of us will probably ever use one. It's great to find out how the superautos perform without actually having buy and futz around with one.
-Sam
 View Profile Link to this post
retardedmonkey

Espresso: La Pavoni PUB
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Jul 21, 2005, 1:29pm

I realize this is a different machine but my experience so far with a Jura S90 couldn't be further from this....initial quality is good...meaning it has brewed good espresso for the first week or so after return from service (4 times). Then the temps drop on the water and that's all she wrote....biggest waste of money I've spent on a super automatic.
okaychatt
okaychatt

Espresso: S1 Vivaldi La Spaz
Grinder: Maximo; Rocky
Drip: FP; Melitta Clarity; Krups...
Posted Thu Jul 21, 2005, 1:46pm

I'd like to play around with the Impressa S9, but I think I'd miss the ritual of making my own espresso too much to invest in one.

There are times though, when having one of these would be very nice.  Plus, the machines look way cool when I've seem them in Williams Sonoma.

If I had the counter space and finances for this, plus my Classic and MDF grinder - oh well.  Dream on.

(It's a curse wanting to HAVE IT ALL!)

Kay
SkyRyders90

Espresso: LM GS/3
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Posted Thu Jul 21, 2005, 2:55pm

I have the Impress S8, and like it very much. Two things:

1) I have replaced the tip on the steam wand with a more traditional one, with good results. I'll take a picture of it and post here.

2) I use Black Cat, and if I dial the grinder down to the finest setting, it chokes the machine, or at best I get drip-drop pours - certainly not streams. Anything you can think of why this would be?

One other question for anyone who has one, or for Mark - did you find much water in the drip tray after brewing shots? I find that the machines releases a good bit of pressure post-brew into the drip tray.

-- Steve

All of life’s big problems include the words ‘indictment’ or ‘inoperable’ - everything else is small stuff. -- AB
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2005, 4:38pm

SkyRyders90 Said:

I have the Impress S8, and like it very much. Two things:

1) I have replaced the tip on the steam wand with a more traditional one, with good results. I'll take a picture of it and post here.

2) I use Black Cat, and if I dial the grinder down to the finest setting, it chokes the machine, or at best I get drip-drop pours - certainly not streams. Anything you can think of why this would be?

One other question for anyone who has one, or for Mark - did you find much water in the drip tray after brewing shots? I find that the machines releases a good bit of pressure post-brew into the drip tray.

Posted July 21, 2005 link

1 - yeah definitely post a pic of the mod!

2 - I tried a feeble attempt to take the grinder apart and hack the burr settings to grind finer, but didn't succeed (mainly because I didn't want to break the test machine). Here's a thought though - perhaps Jura Capresso read my initial commentary regarding finess of grind in the First Look, published over 18 months ago, and made changes in the interim. Because I certainly can't choke the machine at the finest setting ;)

3 - the machine does expell a bit more water than other machines I've tested (super autos) - I think that's just the result of a good pressure relief system. It also does a lot of "flushing" and cleaning of the machine, which is good as well.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
SkyRyders90

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2005, 7:24pm

MarkPrince Said:

1 - yeah definitely post a pic of the mod!

2 - I tried a feeble attempt to take the grinder apart and hack the burr settings to grind finer, but didn't succeed (mainly because I didn't want to break the test machine). Here's a thought though - perhaps Jura Capresso read my initial commentary regarding finess of grind in the First Look, published over 18 months ago, and made changes in the interim. Because I certainly can't choke the machine at the finest setting ;)

Posted July 21, 2005 link

Here is a close-up.

I played arounnd a little more tonight, including running a cleaning cycle. I can choke the machine on the finest grind, and on the second-finest I get dribbles - I can let it go and eventually get a full shot, but it's not good, very little crema, etc. On the third-finest grind setting I get tiger-striping in the streams, and a good solid Guiness-effect for the entire shot.

I don't know if they have changed anything, or if my machine just has a quirk, or what.

SkyRyders90: DSC01042.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-- Steve

All of life’s big problems include the words ‘indictment’ or ‘inoperable’ - everything else is small stuff. -- AB
SkyRyders90

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2005, 7:26pm

Here's another pic of the "mod." I put it in quotes because all I did was take the steam tip from an OLD Krups coffee/espresso combo machine my wife had. Turns out it fit.

SkyRyders90: DSC01041.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-- Steve

espressobsessed
espressobsessed
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco Strada & GB5
Grinder: LM Vulcano, Anfim, Ditting
Vac Pot: Hario Deco
Drip: Metal filter pourover, FP &...
Roaster: Ambex ym-5 with Drumroaster...
Posted Fri Jul 22, 2005, 10:27am

For getting a 12 second pour, I would have expected more criticism from you!

I know you probably work even harder than most people in the industry to promote better coffee knowledge... I was a little shocked, that's all.

Still love your writing style and the photography though... and looking forward to the next review!

blog: espressolab.ca
work: museocoffee.com

owner/barista at Museo Coffee
Saskatoon SK Canada
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2005, 12:00pm

The problem is Jimmy is that they are ALL like that. All the super automatics. At least the ones I've tested. And I harp constantly through this review on that subject:

- grind settings not fine enough
- piston designs are flawed
- puck sizes are too small
- no intellgent system in place for giving the same brew time for a single as a double

The double pours are up in the near 20 second time, for a 2.5oz+ shot using roughly 16g of coffee. That's the number you should be focused on. Who drinks singles from their traditional machine, using single baskets?

Cheers

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Jura Capresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307528972626)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+