Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Elektra Micro Casa a Leva
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Elektra Micro...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Aerolae
Aerolae
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: MicroCimbali, Gaggia...
Grinder: Solis Plus, Braun and one...
Vac Pot: Haven't bought yet
Drip: Farberware, Jet Perculator x...
Roaster: Poppery MK1 x 2
Posted Sat Aug 24, 2002, 12:37pm
Subject: Pumpers Rule

I agree that the pump machine is a pain to master, but the results are very much worth it.  I started with an automatic better than 20 years ago and still own a few procured from yard sales out of curiosity more than anything.  I love the looks of the $850 machine, and totally agree that it is much prettier than my old and exceptionally well functional Micro Cimbali.  

Point is for someone on a budget, they can find and buy used machines that perform as well as if not better than a new high dollar version.  My only problem with the Micro is that it is made of aluminum and requires effort to keep it clean and free of scale and residue.

Great article man, keep on reviewing.
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2002, 5:19pm
Subject: Thanks, everyone

Thank you everyone for the very nice comments on the review I wrote. It fires me up for the next ones, that's for sure! :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
olypdd
olypdd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Innova...
Drip: Only when I'm desperate and...
Roaster: Espresso Vivace from Seattle
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2003, 2:34am
Subject: bought one

I purchased one of these, due in large part , to your first look and detailed review. I love the artistry of the Elektra, but it seems to me, from what I read, that incredible control of extraction is achieved via the spring system, which can yield shot quality not matched by many other machines. Also, after reading some of the articles attached to the Espresso Vivace website indicating that they prefer 200 deg brew temps, I think that cranking out brew water at 200 degs. is easy with this unit due to its heat production. I am not the least bit intimidated by this machine, and the way one has to "dance" with it, is very compatible with me. So I "might" have to push to power switch 2-3 times when entertaining. By the way, wouldn't steaming milk first draw excess heat off the boiler prior to brewing?  I purchased an Isomac Zaffiro, but after a boiler heating element splitting open, and failing right out of the box, I sent it back for the beautifully crafted Elektra. Thanks for a great article, it was well written, and really helped me visualize how this machine is so compatible with my desire to be involved in every step of creating a beautiful shot of espresso.
olypdd
olypdd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Innova...
Drip: Only when I'm desperate and...
Roaster: Espresso Vivace from Seattle
Posted Sat Jan 18, 2003, 1:32am
Subject: Steam-O-rama!

ok, you weren't kidding....the thing steams milk up to 160 in about 15 seconds! I think I will open the steam valve only slightly so I have time to microfoam! Also, I used a wrench with a towel on the steam wand nut and moved the wand so that it enters the milk straight down. It has been my experience, and David Schomer of Vivace advised this too, that you can steam better when the wand is aiming 45 deg to straight up. This machine has been pulling beautiful shots, is easy to use, and just not a hassle. Thanks again for the review. I printed it, put it in a binder with my Elektra stuff for reference material.
HIPR

Expertise: Beginner

Posted Tue Mar 4, 2003, 6:08pm
Subject: I Love the way it looks

I went shopping  at Home Goods and saw the Elektra Micro Casa and fell in love with the way it looked. They had one chrome version for 799.00 with  the box and all of the parts. After doing a little research I decided to go and buy it ,and to my surprise they reduced it to 560.00. I am very exited with the deal I got and just made my first cup of coffee and it was very easy to do. After years of displaying a Krups on my kitchen counter, this machine just looks amazing!
mascara

Expertise: Advanced

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2003, 6:49pm
Subject: Love the Pull...

Just like HIPR, I struck GOLD at my local T.J.Maxx Store (same as Home Goods).  I was able to pick up a brand new Micro Casa in the custom case, with all the accessories, for $450.  It was final clearanced.  What a deal!  I own a Pasquine Livia 90, and I thought that the espresso produced by the Micro Casa was superior.  And I felt that this machine was no more trouble than most!  So, the plan is to use the Livia 90 for larger groups, and use the Micro Casa for the daily needs of two empty nesters.  If life was that simple!
iamsum1

Expertise: Advanced

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2003, 8:46pm
Subject: I found one of these for $65!

Great article!  I found a brass and copper Elektra at an estate sale last weekend for $65!  It matches your description of the first generation machine except for two things:  although the pressure guage says ELEKTRA, the front plate says ITALIA;  also, the eagle on mine has its wings at rest instead of up.  These are the only two ways in which my machine differs from the one you describe.  It makes an INCREDIBLE cup of joe, and I'm not even very good at operating it yet.  Is mine the real thing or a copy?  Did Elektra let other companies put their names on the frontpiece?  Thanks for your GREAT info!
leva

Expertise: Intermediate

Posted Sun Jun 8, 2003, 5:48pm
Subject: Elektra Leva

I couldn't believe my luck when I spotted a brass & copper Elektra Leva in a junk shop last week, and I couldn't believe the price. $50.00 Australian, which would be about US$30.00. There was another person lingering around waiting for me to move on & I knew that I'd have to make an immediate decision to buy it. It was a very easy decision. After pulling the machine apart, cleaning the glass tube and unblocking the inlet under the glass, I was ready to try her out. Yes it works perfectly !!!! The only item missing from the machine is the dome cover & eagle yet I'm sure I can order one. I simply amazed at the way I came across this machine, & now it takes pride of place in my kitchen.
Spindoc

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Capresso MT500
Roaster: i-Roast Mod.40010
Posted Fri Dec 12, 2003, 5:03pm
Subject: Re: Elektra Leva

Well, I can't believe you people buying Elektra Levas for $50. thereabouts! I paid, I think, about $800 for mine -- but then, I've never had a moment's regret!

The review was exceptionally helpful to me, especially because of the description of the maintenance. I've had mine a year and have never had it apart; I guess it's time.

I am gonna need gaskets, though. Anyone know a relatively hassel-free source in the U.S? Or am I going to have to get them out of Italy???

Spindoc
frankcornbread

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Aug 14, 2004, 6:17pm
Subject: Re: Elektra Leva

As well, I will be doomed to purchase an Elelektra S-1 at more or less full price due to CK's review.  Looks like the perfect retired barista's replacement.  I am selling my old friend La Cimbali Classic 30 and looking for a "little machine" that will produce a similar shot.  Must take issue w/ JDenver's statement, "The lack of a heat exchanger makes these machines fundamentally inferior to more modern ones, esp. if you are pulling more than 2 or 3 shots (and if you are only pulling 2 or 3 shots, it's hardly worth setting up a machine). " the latter in particular.  I suspect that in the real world, shot after shot is not a neccessary requirement.  In my experience, when I am among friends, in the evening usually, espresso is not the drink of choice.  Maybe a quick shot of " rocket fuel" before we split for a show or whatever, but generally it's bourbon or brews.  I want a god-shot in the a.m.  and a double one at that.  If I have a companion, then I might need two.  So four shots max, maybe another round in the afternoon, just maybe depends on the day and energy level, and I'm good.  If the S-1 can deliver 8 bars at 190-200 degrees four times straight, well, short of investing commercial money, what more can you ask.  And THEN you can start in on the visuals.  Thanks for the great review.  I bought a Euro Pavoni for my girl friend and we use it on trips, but the peacock is consistantly on the high end of mediocre.  It's not bad, just not really great, either.  When I first got into coffee, I bought a Silvia/ Rocky duo.  They produced more predictable shots than the Euro/ Innova combo and I was thinking about just getting a new pair, but NOW, after the S-1 review...I can see the handwriting on the wall.  Thanks again.  I guess.  ;)
FC
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Elektra Micro...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.215970993042)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+