Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Brew N Go Budget Coffee Maker
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Brew N Go Budget...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Mar 27, 2004, 1:00am
Subject: Brew N Go Budget Coffee Maker

Brew N Go Budget Coffee Maker

CoffeeGeek's senior editor evaluates a super cheap set of auto drip, single cup coffee brewers from Black and Decker while he's away from the home and the lab - and tries not to get killed in the process!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MochaMe

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: SMP
Drip: Love the press!
Posted Sun Mar 28, 2004, 12:17am
Subject: Re: Brew N Go Budget Coffee Maker

I have had one of these for a couple of years, and it's great in a pinch!  I'll say it does make better coffee than a 4-cup hotel Mr. Coffee.  My reason for posting feedback is that the #1 filters are generally in stock at Linens 'N Things for less than $1.50.  I know these stores are in many major US markets, sorry I can't speak for Canada.

Great to see something mainstream reviewed!  I've seen a similar two-cup brew model by Cuisinart ... wonder how that one measures up.

Andrea in WI
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Mar 28, 2004, 12:19am

Mark...in the review you used the word "exasperating"...the former teacher in me believes you might have meant "exacerbating" as in...to intensify or make worse...other than that...a most useful review for many a traveler minus their French Press!...God, how I hate those hotel room Sunbeam (Hamilton beach, etc) mini drip disasters...
Rob

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Mar 28, 2004, 12:36am

As an aside, I'm amazed at how little these products sold for. Considering the Canadian Tire-bought model was $10, I can't imagine how much the importer paid for this... maybe $5, $6 per unit, and they probably sold it to Canadian Tire for $9 or $9.50. Out of that $5 or $6, the manufacturer probably got $1.50 per unit if they were lucky... and the production costs for the box and shipping the thing from Asia eats up a chunk. Looking at the box, I bet it cost as much, if not more to produce than the machine itself.

According to the manual, the product (and the manual) are made in the People's Republic of China. This is a prime example of a product that could not possibly be made in the USA or Canada (or any other country with reasonable human rights, labor, and environmental protections) and be sold at such a price. A bonus for consumers, unless they want to work in a plant that makes small appliances, in which case, they'll have to move to China or Indonesia or some other offshore manufacturing country.

This is from the web page of the company that produces these coffeemakers:

Durable Electrical Metal Factory, Ltd., the Company's wholly-owned manufacturing operation located in the People's Republic of China, provides Applica Incorporated with a low-cost manufacturing source for its Black & Decker, Windmere and private-label products.

In a 1998 article, the CEO of Windmere said:

"We used to view ourselves as just a distributor that owned a factory in China," Friedson said. "Then we began to realize that the factory in China was our secret weapon." A weapon that helps the company to produce products at a lower cost than the competition, he said.

More information can be found on this alt.coffee thread.

Although they don't make appliances anymore, this is from a Black & Decker letter to shareholders 2 years ago:

Within the next 12 months, therefore, we will close two power tool and accessories facilities and a plumbing products plant in the United States. We will further reduce manufacturing costs by transferring additional power tool production from the United States and England to low-cost facilities in Mexico, China, and a new leased facility in the Czech Republic

Goodbye jobs. Hello cheap drills and coffeemakers.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2004, 12:47am

dana_leighton Said:

According to the manual, the product (and the manual) are made in the People's Republic of China. This is a prime example of a product that could not possibly be made in the USA or Canada (or any other country with reasonable human rights, labor, and environmental protections) and be sold at such a price. A bonus for consumers, unless they want to work in a plant that makes small appliances, in which case, they'll have to move to China or Indonesia or some other offshore manufacturing country.

This is from the web page of the company that produces these coffeemakers: "Durable Electrical Metal Factory, Ltd., the Company's wholly-owned manufacturing operation located in the People's Republic of China, provides Applica Incorporated with a low-cost manufacturing source for its Black & Decker, Windmere and private-label products."

More information can be found on this alt.coffee thread.

Although they don't make appliances anymore, this is from a Black & Decker letter to shareholders 2 years ago: "Within the next 12 months, therefore, we will close two power tool and accessories facilities and a plumbing products plant in the United States. We will further reduce manufacturing costs by transferring additional power tool production from the United States and England to low-cost facilities in Mexico, China, and a new leased facility in the Czech Republic"

Goodbye jobs. Hello cheap drills and coffeemakers.

Posted March 28, 2004 link

Craig...as usual, you find the deeper meaning of our meager lives!...here I be, needlessly correcting Mark, while you, ever the humanatarian dig a whole (hole?) far deeper...I'm sure Mark's motives are well placed, but I certainly see, and furthermore agree with your point of view...after all, as a composer in LA, I saw far too many scores recorded in Yugoslavia, Hungary, and yes Vancouver for far less than if using US musicians...this subject is far off Mark's review...apologies to Mr. Prince for the digression...g'night, CA
Rob

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Mar 28, 2004, 2:50am

I'll raise two short points, then come back later for followup discussion.

First, out of all the people I know personally, I was (and still am to a point) the most vehemently "anti China made" consumers around. Between 1995 and about 2001 or so, I increasingly went out of my way to avoid "Made in China" products specifically for the reasons Dana pointed out. Jeanette joined me in this for some time.

But it became something that was increasingly impossible to do. I still oppose the slave wages seen in China, do so with all my heart. But as long as major western Governments continue to kiss corporate butt (it's not them directly wanting to kiss China's butt... they do so, and "ignore" human rights violations because American and other corporations demand it), it's a losing battle. Almost all cheap goods are now made in countries with poor human rights, slave labour, and well, all that crap. And somehow, I feel a bit better paying $18 for a coffee maker made in China than paying $80 or $100 for one made in China, because I know for the more impressive "brand name" $80 maker, the corporation that markets it is reaping obscene profits at the expense of human beings (while they reap much less from the $18 machine). And don't talk to me about paying $75 for a pair of "designer" jeans made in China. I still avoid that kind of crap. Unfortunately, the average consumer doesn't. The worker who made those jeans probably made a buck a day. Calvin Klein takes probably 40 times that much in profit just for slapping their names on the back.

Second, and this is a sad fact - we here within the CoffeeGeek community buy a product made in a country with good labour standards, living wages, etc etc... the venerable "Italian Espresso Machine". Yet take a look at a recent thread - the poll on how soon your product needs servicing. The very fact is this - most "mid priced" consumer electronics, appliances, etc etc made in China are usually bulletproof, especially compared to the shoddy quality control and build quality of a lot of Italian made espresso machines. So what does that say? It sends a message to consumers - why bother spending premium dollars on something "Made in America" (or Italy) when a product half the cost from China lasts longer?

Two things have to change. Manufacturers in countries like Italy (and the workers especially) have to start getting their QC way back up to standard... at least the standard countries like Taiwan and China have.... and conversely, something's gotta give in Big Mother Corps' unceasing desire for greed and profit, when it comes at the expense of human lives and standards of living. (no, I'm not promoting communism... I'm saying make big corporations responsible for the suffering they cause).

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2004, 8:41am

CoffeeKid Said:

Two things have to change. Manufacturers in countries like Italy (and the workers especially) have to start getting their QC way back up to standard... at least the standard countries like Taiwan and China have.... and conversely, something's gotta give in Big Mother Corps' unceasing desire for greed and profit, when it comes at the expense of human lives and standards of living. (no, I'm not promoting communism... I'm saying make big corporations responsible for the suffering they cause).

Mark

Amen Brother
Rob

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
JimT

Espresso: Gaggia coffee
Grinder: K30 ES, Rancilio Rocky...
Vac Pot: AeroPress, hario
Drip: Pourover Cone
Roaster: poppery 1
Posted Sun Mar 28, 2004, 9:44am

CoffeeKid Said:

I'll raise two short points, then come back later for followup discussion.

First, out of all the people I know personally, I was (and still am to a point) the most vehemently "anti China made" consumers around. Between 1995 and about 2001 or so, I increasingly went out of my way to avoid "Made in China" products specifically for the reasons Dana pointed out. Jeanette joined me in this for some time.

But it became something that was increasingly impossible to do. I still oppose the slave wages seen in China, do so with all my heart. But as long as major western Governments continue to kiss corporate butt (it's not them directly wanting to kiss China's butt... they do so, and "ignore" human rights violations because American and other corporations demand it), it's a losing battle. Almost all cheap goods are now made in countries with poor human rights, slave labour, and well, all that crap.

Mark

I try to buy American anytime it is possible. I also hate buying anything made in china, the only problem is that you cannot walk into a major retailer and find anything that is not made in china with slave or prison camp labor.

This is what the big corporations want cheap labor. So this is what our government is giving them.

The only problem is that when half of Americans are jobless or working for slave wages, who will buy there products then. We are in effect the world's market place to dump their cheap products.

Our Government is only responsive to big corporations or special interest groups with big money for campaign donations, it is no longer responsive to the people. Until we in the country stop buying these forced labor goods in most cases, our govenment and corporations will continue to rape our country and send our jobs and money overseas.

Just say no to chinese goods. Our government can't, our corporations can't, but you the consumer can.

If we don't it might be us one day working for whatever the big corps are willing to pay. What are they willing to pay? fifty cents, a dollar a day? what the heck we'll just put you in a labor camp and feed you every once in a while should do.

Wake up people!!!
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MochaMe

Grinder: SMP
Drip: Love the press!
Posted Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:12am

Theoretically, I wholeheartedly agree.  Now try to walk the walk ... where was my computer made?  My phone?  My TV?  Even the bottom of my spillproof thermal mug says "China" on it!  Ok, so your foreign car was assembled in the US ... where do all the parts originate?  Where do the profits go?  Okay, so you have an auto by one of the big-three.  This is hard for me, I'm a Michigan girl ... but North American produced vehicles have a high percentage of imported parts.  Walk the walk?  I'd have to be an inventor!

I am no do-gooder, per se, but I really think we as a society have become so efficient in some ways and so self-serving in others, that we've shopped ourselves out of reality.  

I recently spent months (literally) looking for a pair of walking shoes made in the USA (prompted by a documentary TV stint ... sorry, which one it was escapes me just now).  Never found 'em!  I'm told only New Balance still produces shoes domestically, and I could only find two models in their product line that were.  They were about $25 more per pair, and I'd have paid it!

I live in the midst of the paper industry ... I do the best I can when I can.  I buy the local Georgia Pacific or Kimberly Clark products where I can, even if they cost a few cents more.  P&G is the area's largest employer.  Should I avoid them because they're a big evil corporation, or should I support my community's employment rate?  Okay, so they're my third choice sometimes.

Back to relevance ... can we compile a directory machines produced entirely in the USA or Canada?   Hey, at least my SMP was assembled here!

I still think the Brew 'N Go serves a niche, and thank Mark for reviewing it.  I also think Dana's post woke a few of us up!

Andrea

Andrea in WI
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dagger

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Krups Pro Aroma
Posted Mon Mar 29, 2004, 7:43am

Bringing this thread back on subject,

Thanks Mark for the on-the-road review of single serving brewers. A real world experience review - including I'm glad to see you survived the second one!

Since the price is right and the temps seem to be near ideal, is there any other way to modify these to eliminate the grounds overflow? Could the drip hole be drilled out a little bigger to improve flow (along with using Melitta #1 or #2 filters)? Any other ideas?

I would also like to encourage you to gather up a few more single serving machines and do a thorough review of them - I need something at work. The Newco brewers here only heat the water to 187* (yes I brought my digital thermometer into work because I was thinking of bringing a French Press for personal use) and the coffee is Maxwell House sludge. A single serving unit that works well with easy cleanup would do nicely on my desk!

Cheers,
dagger
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Brew N Go Budget...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309817075729)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+