Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:15pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso

cracker23 Said:

Thanks for the advice.

My preciso is less than three months old.  Hopefully it just needs calibration.  When my Preciso is on 10 I get about 6 ounces in 20 seconds.  I usually use the fresh roasted stuff from Whole Foods, but strangely enough, I find that Peets beans allow me to use a setting of 6 or 7 to go along with the "golden rule".

Not too excited about taking it apart.

If something is damaged, I'm hoping baratza will send parts overseas.

Posted February 14, 2012 link

I just had to calibrate my Preciso and it was very easy. Their step by step instructions are great. I think that the least exciting part was getting the case off, but once I had done it once, it was no issue. Just follow their instructions and it will all work out!
 View Profile Link to this post
WBW

Posted Fri Mar 2, 2012, 10:50am

Hey cracker23 - did you get your problem sorted out?

Guess what - after just trying to give you advice a few posts ago, now I am having the same problem:

When on my usual setting of 10 macro, the grind seems coarse between my fingers and I am getting these gushing espresso shots that give 2 ounces in like 5 seconds.  I am needing to dial down to 3-4 on the macro in order to get a good shot (and yes, these are fresh beans etc.etc.....at this setting I am getting great shots that are all crema, but obviously something must be off!)

I have no idea why this has changed all of a sudden though.

I guess I better go through the troubleshooting and calibration guides....
cracker23

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012, 2:46pm

I found out that the adjustment mechanism was broken.  Baratza just sent me a new one and I had to replace it.  

I'd ask for another one from Baratza.  It's easy to replace, but I worry about its longevity.
Craigo87

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione,...
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch, Baratza...
Drip: Starbuck's Barista Aroma
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 12:17am

I think my Baratza Virtuoso Preciso bit the big one on Friday. I was in the middle of grinding a double for my wife and it seized up and started howling after about a shot was ground. Fortunately for her, I was able to add some grounds from the overflow to makeup the double. Not the freshest double-shot, but it had to do. I however was out of luck. I emptied and removed the hopper, cleaned it as best I could, and loaded some Grindz. I was able to get it to run again as long as I had it on a course setting and therefore cleaned it. However, after a quick vac and reload with my favorite espresso blend (Red Bird Espresso) I had the same howling problem. I reset it to my espresso setting before adding the beans, and then turned it on. It once again began to howl like crazy, but would not turn the burrs. I backed it off, and the burrs eventually started to turn and make some pretty big chunks. But as far as espresso, I'm SOL.

It's 4 months out of warranty, so sending it in for return is not an option. Anybody else have this problem? Is it toast or is there a chance it's user repairable?

Thanks,
Craigo
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 1:35am

Sorry to read about your grinder troubles - I would give Baratza a call this morning and see what they say - their service and parts support is very strong - see what they have to say first.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 7:39am

Craigo87 Said:

It's 4 months out of warranty, so sending it in for return is not an option. Anybody else have this problem?

Posted April 3, 2012 link

Yes, owners have had it happen.

Is it toast or is there a chance it's user repairable?

Of course it's user repairable. If you had of searched the forums you would of seen many posts & more than one answer..
Check out the Baratza website "Support", "Troubleshooting",  "Preciso"on how to replace a stripped burr gear here: Click Here (www.baratza.com)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 8:25am

CraigA...can't believe someone (Craigo78) has usurped my "nickname" for you!
Fortunately my Preciso has never whined...however my 2 teenage daughters more than make up for it. LOL

Could a rock in the coffee cause this?
I REALLY examine my coffees, especially those from Ethiopia and Mexico.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 8:37am

IMAWriter Said:

CraigA...can't believe someone (Craigo78) has usurped my "nickname" for you!

Heh, yes I noticed the handle a while ago.

Fortunately my Preciso has never whined...however my 2 teenage daughters more than make up for it. LOL

Funny Rob! {;-)

Could a rock in the coffee cause this?
I REALLY examine my coffees, especially those from Ethiopia and Mexico.

Come on Rob, you know this..
Yes, depending on the size of the rock., they can definately jam a grinder & the resultant high torque of the motor trying to continue to spin/turn can shear off a couple of teeth on the gear (aluminum or resin gear) directly adjacent to the motor shaft.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Craigo87

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione,...
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch, Baratza...
Drip: Starbuck's Barista Aroma
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 9:21am

CraigA Said:

Yes, owners have had it happen.

Of course it's user repairable. If you had of searched the forums you would of seen many posts & more than one answer..
Check out the Baratza website "Support", "Troubleshooting",  "Preciso"on how to replace a stripped burr gear here: Click Here (www.baratza.com)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Looks like it'll be a good project when I've got the time for it.

btw, It's Craigo87 not Craigo78 and although I've only posted a few times on this particular forum, I've used that handle for years in general at other forums. But I'm sure I'm not really being accused of theft (~;
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 2:11pm

Craigo87 Said:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Looks like it'll be a good project when I've got the time for it.

btw, It's Craigo87 not Craigo78 and although I've only posted a few times on this particular forum, I've used that handle for years in general at other forums. But I'm sure I'm not really being accused of theft (~;

I was only joshing, as I've been PM'ing CraigA as Craigo for years!

We're happy to have you here, with whatever user name you choose. (or #)

CraigA...I posted the rock question as your comic foil...so you'd answer as you did, if only to remind those NEW to quality grinders like the Vario/Preciso, that is always a good idea to check your green before you roast, and if purchasing roasted, take a peek at the coffee.
Stones/rocks can be REALLY hard to see.

I just found one a few weeks ago in some Rwanda.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 13 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30591583252)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+