Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 12 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012, 3:49pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso

Gene, sorry you're having problems with your Preciso.
Perhaps speak to Kyle @ Baratza. Maybe he can help you further.
Just goes to show, mine was adjusted perfectly from the get go, and a "10" setting with the Micro on D-E got me excellent espresso results immediately.

This stuff does happen, and I'm positive Baratza wants to keep you as a happy customer.
I think mano a mano over the phone, oir via email will be best...and fastest.
One thing about Kyle and Kyra...they make themselves available.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TresRios

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012, 4:41am

Good suggestion. Thanks! My concern was about build quality and ease of service for the end user. I could not fault their customer service when I contacted them previously, however.  I'm sure they will be most helpful as they were before.

Gene

Life is grand.
 View Profile Link to this post
nated423

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 10:55am

Hi,

I just got the machine and after a week of use, I am loving it. I followed the instructions for intellengtsia for brewing french press, and thought the coffee was weak sauce. Perhaps that shows my pension for strong coffee. Coffee never tasted so good in my house.

On to my question... Does anyone know why in the manual of the preciso, it says that the grinder should be running to adjust to a finer setting (turning the dial to the left)? will it hurt the machine to do this without it running? It seems very counter intuitive to adjust it while it is running...

thanks!

-Nate in Seattle WA
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:06am

nated423 Said:

Hi,

On to my question... Does anyone know why in the manual of the preciso, it says that the grinder should be running to adjust to a finer setting (turning the dial to the left)? will it hurt the machine to do this without it running? It seems very counter intuitive to adjust it while it is running...

thanks!

-Nate in Seattle WA

Posted February 8, 2012 link

Nate, the grinder needs to be running WHEN THERE ARE BEANS IN THE HOPPER, to you run the risk of having beans jammed between the burrs.(when adjusting FINER)
If you're adjusting with an totally EMPTY hopper, there's no need to run the grinder.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:06am

nated423 Said:

Hi,

I just got the machine and after a week of use, I am loving it. I followed the instructions for intellengtsia for brewing french press, and thought the coffee was weak sauce. Perhaps that shows my pension for strong coffee. Coffee never tasted so good in my house.

thanks!

-Nate in Seattle WA

Posted February 8, 2012 link

Congrats on the new grinder Nate - you will enjoy it.

Grounds can act like grout as you tighten the burrs down on the particles trapped on the burr surfaces.  When you hit the power the burrs are locked together tightly with this residue seal causing the drive gear to strip out from the force.  After doing this you can adjust with or without power since the grinder will no longer turn the burrs and cause further damage, or grind any beans...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
cracker23

Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 9:13am

Hello all.

My precise needs a macro setting of 3 to get a decently timed shot.  Also, no setting will "clog" my silvano.  

Should I adjust my preciso per the barazta site's troubleshooting guide?  Or just be happy a setting of 3 works?

Thanks....
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 11:46am

Edward...I'd go with the Baratza thing.
otherwise, ALL your calibrations for different coffees will really out of whack with the rest of us.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
WBW

Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 1:00pm

cracker23 Said:

Hello all.

My precise needs a macro setting of 3 to get a decently timed shot.  Also, no setting will "clog" my silvano.  

Should I adjust my preciso per the barazta site's troubleshooting guide?  Or just be happy a setting of 3 works?

Thanks....

Posted February 14, 2012 link

I don't know how old your Preciso is, but I found that I was needing to dial down the macro to 8 to get a decent shot....I ended up finding out that this was because my burr holder was cracked.  Once it was replaced, then my settings returned to behaving like the guide set out in Mark Prince's quick shot review guidelines.

The troubleshooting guide from Baratza is a great walk-through of checking over a number of components that have the potential to be worn or damaged.
cracker23

Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 2:26pm

Thanks for the advice.

My preciso is less than three months old.  Hopefully it just needs calibration.  When my Preciso is on 10 I get about 6 ounces in 20 seconds.  I usually use the fresh roasted stuff from Whole Foods, but strangely enough, I find that Peets beans allow me to use a setting of 6 or 7 to go along with the "golden rule".

Not too excited about taking it apart.

If something is damaged, I'm hoping baratza will send parts overseas.
samuellaw178
samuellaw178

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: Rosco Mini
Drip: French Press, Aeropress,...
Roaster: DIY Copper drum roaster
Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 2:46pm

I am not sure why, but my preciso needs to be at Macro 3 to be fine enough for my Cremina and Macro 2 for decaf coffee. Looking at you guys' number does make me wary a little. Pierce at Baratza did try it prior to sending it to me and he was at Macro 10. Maybe it's because I am using a lower dosage and different machine?

Cracker, I am sure Baratza will work something out with you if it really needs a part. Their CS is truly top notched. Just that I am not too happy about the build. Maybe I am spoilt by the tank-quality like Mazzer Major, Cremina, and OE Pharos.
showing page 12 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264179944992)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+