Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Technivorm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Nov 19, 2004, 12:39pm
Subject: Re: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD

slider Said:

My only concern about this review, is the fact that CG even requested a no thermal carafe version.  If your in this forum you probably know that a hot plate is a no no.  If your reviewing for the site, well, the author knows this.  Basically, he orders a machine from a company that offers two thermal carafe version of the machine, knowing full well that it will fail keeping the coffee "fresh" for one hour on a hot plate, then proceeds to bash the machine for that very reason.  It just doesn't make any sense.

Posted November 17, 2004 link

Just for clarification purposes, I did not order the CD glass carafe model.

I told Boyds to send me "one or two models in the technivorm lineup, preferably at least one with a thermal carafe; however, you should send the one you are most comfortable with, and the one you want reviewed the most".

They chose to send the CD model MoccaMaster. I did not request this model specifically. I would have preferred to review a thermal carafe model.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
handcannon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: PIDed Zaffiro
Grinder: MCI, Innova, Zass, Capresso
Drip: Capresso Aroma Classic 461
Roaster: Modded FR & WBs
Posted Fri Nov 19, 2004, 8:02pm

I find it interesting that my late lamented West Bend drip maker (it died about twenty years ago) used a single exit pipe over a filter basket that just sat on the carafe.  The filter basket had a very well designed broad shower head molded into the removable top.  I always poured the fresh pot of coffee into a thermos.  I literally cried when the water heating element died on that unit.  I wonder if TV has considered somthing like this.  For now, I'll stick with my Capresso, even though I know that the brewing water is above ideal temp when it hits the grounds.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."  A. Brilliant
 View Profile Link to this post
stevebookman

Posted Sat Nov 20, 2004, 10:58am

Not many readers will be in a position to make this comment -- longevity of the machine.
Even the best of the other automatics usually burn out in about three years.  The
Technivorm I have has been used almost daily for well over six years without any sign
of wear or performance change.
wosbald

Expertise: Professional

Grinder: Manual Roller Mill
Vac Pot: Hario, Bodum, Hellem, Cona
Drip: Appliance Science Coffee One
Roaster: Modified Hottop
Posted Sat Nov 20, 2004, 4:56pm

+JMJ+
Dear Mr. Prince,
Too bad you've never seen an Appliance Science Coffee 1.  They were made in the early 90's, then pulled from the market after a month due to copyright infringment on some of the technology.  This machine brewed 64 oz. of superlative drip coffee in about 3.5 min.  ALL of the water was FULLY heated before the brew cycle even engaged.  It had a cupcake, not wedge, filter basket.  And it had multiple water hole for a "shower" effect.  I, luckily, have one.  If you're ever near Cleveland, let me know, and you could drink some coffee from this machine.  Its the only auto that ranks with a vac pot.
P.S. I just finished (95% done) my second handbook on coffee technology, roasting, agronomy, etc.  Its aimed to small scale professionals and advanced homeroasters.  Since I only like ULTRA. ULTRA light roasted, washed coffees of very high quality, there's no chapter dedicated solely to espresso, though, since it is not my real passion or forte.  Dr. Joseph John from Josuma Coffee says I need to write a chapter on it, though, for the book to be REALLY complete.  Well, maybe...
In Christ,
Steven
slider
slider
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless, Knee...
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cona rod
Drip: 1 Cup Ceramic, Press
Roaster: SC/SO, iRoast1, iRoast 2
Posted Sun Nov 21, 2004, 9:21pm

Thanks for the clarification Mark :)

In Darwin,
Dan

This plan is so bad it must be one of ours!
espressobsessed
espressobsessed
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco Strada & GB5
Grinder: LM Vulcano, Anfim, Ditting
Vac Pot: Hario Deco
Drip: Metal filter pourover, FP &...
Roaster: Ambex ym-5 with Drumroaster...
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2004, 3:20pm

Heheh

I really enjoyed this review.  The problem I have, is I know a fair bit about espresso brewing, but relatively little about drip.  Seeing what makes the Technivorm perform (aside from the temp requirements and thermal carafe) was QUITE enlightening.  

Thanks!

In Derrida,  =P
Jimmy

blog: espressolab.ca
work: museocoffee.com

owner/barista at Museo Coffee
Saskatoon SK Canada
Alexa

Espresso: Saeco automatic
Grinder: Maestro
Vac Pot: e Santos(Starbucks),   Hario
Drip: Starbucks Aroma
Roaster: Fresh Roast+
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2004, 9:04pm

Enjoyed your review very much; thank you.

I purchased the Technivorm Clubline KB741 thermal coffee maker a few months ago from Boyd Coffee Co.

I made the following changes:

1) I ordered their "53055  9 hole outlet pipe" which gives complete
saturation, whether using Swiss Gold filter or Melitta Flavour Pores paper filters.
2) I replaced their thermal carafe, which leaves an inch or so space between cone and carafe, with the Nissan Stainless- TGS1500 carafe (a superior carafe) which, when raised, fits perfectly snugly with bottom of the cone. I raised the Nissan by taping two blank CD containers together to form a 3/4 inch thick, 5 x 51/2 inch perfectly fitting platform.

I have found the coffee produced to be the best brew of the many drip makers I've owned- on a par with my Hario, my Santos, my French Press, my Krups Moka and my Richard Sapper 9090 mokapot (Alessi). Each has its own taste personality.

Ron.
NJAddict
NJAddict
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Lever
Grinder: Macap M4
Drip: Technivorm KBTS (w. Nissan...
Roaster: I-Roast I
Posted Wed Nov 24, 2004, 2:47pm

I, too wish Mark had been sent the TV Clubline KB741 Thermal, as I have just purchased mine (with the 9-hole pipe) and LOVE IT!

I also ordered (but have not yet received) the Nissan carafe.  However, I am surprised by how hot the TV carafe keeps the coffee, even after many hours.

Not only is it quick and quiet, but the visual image of the water boiling up the inner tube is also fun to watch.  Multimedia!

Michael
GeneHal
GeneHal

Espresso: La Peppina, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: French Press: Bodum Bistro
Drip: Techni-Vorm Clubline,...
Posted Wed Jan 5, 2005, 10:25am

Mark's review is, I think, very fair. We have owned a Technivorm K862 for several years now and continue to be extremely happy with it. I would guess the current model that is closest to ours is the KB741 - it and ours use a thermal carafe to keep the brewed coffee warm. We use the de-scaling feature regularly. We replaced the paper filters with a SwissGold and are very happy with it. I have recently ordered out the 9 hole sprayhead, although the sipplied one hole head seemed to work fine. The only "problem" we have had with this machine is the difficulty in keeping the thermal carafe clean. My advice: do a thorough cleaning at least once a week.

We grind our beans (just before use) in a newly purchased Solis Maestro Plus, which is a HUGE improvement over the Braun KMM30 grinder we had been using. While the Braun created so much static electricity there were coffee grounds all over the counter after use, the Solis produces almost ZERO static charge. Also the Solis seems to produce a more even grind than the Braun did.

We use a Brita water filter, which we keep filled in the frig. As a matter of course, I rinse out the Clubline carafe in hot water before I make a pot. Our Clubline has a capacity for 8 of their "cups" (I believe they are thinking of 4oz. cups). Normally, I make what they call "6" cups (which equates to 3 8oz. cups) and use 4 coffee measuring spoons of beans, which I grind in the mid-range of what Solis calls "Drip".

If cost were of no consequence, I would use Peets Blend 101 every day, but that is not the case, so we reserve its use for special occasions. Last year, on the advice of another coffee "nut", I tried San Francisco Bay French Roast, which costs about one third as much as Peets...SURPRISE!  It is GREAT!!
No, not as broad a flavor as the 101, but rich without harshness and as good a French Roast as I have ever had. In the West (at least in Salt Lake City) it is available for even less at CostCo, and on the East Coast, it is re-packaged and marketed as BJ's brand.

Cheers and bottoms up to all!
-Gene
GeneHal
GeneHal

Espresso: La Peppina, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: French Press: Bodum Bistro
Drip: Techni-Vorm Clubline,...
Posted Wed Jan 5, 2005, 10:50am

I meant to also mention that we long-term store our beans in the freezer, storing the beans we our currently drawing from at room temp in a ceramic container of the type that allows the user to create a vacuum seal within after opening.
-Gene
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Technivorm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240639209747)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+