Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Brew N Go Budget Coffee Maker
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Brew N Go Budget...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Mar 29, 2004, 12:31pm
Subject: Re: Brew N Go Budget Coffee Maker

dagger Said:

Bringing this thread back on subject,

Thanks Mark for the on-the-road review of single serving brewers. A real world experience review - including I'm glad to see you survived the second one!

Since the price is right and the temps seem to be near ideal, is there any other way to modify these to eliminate the grounds overflow? Could the drip hole be drilled out a little bigger to improve flow (along with using Melitta #1 or #2 filters)? Any other ideas?

Posted March 29, 2004 link

\

Finally, someone acknowledges my near death experience :) I was getting worried there for a second.

Well... I've given more thought to how to deal with it, and I don't know how much of a fix can be applied. using paper filters does increase the flow thru (the hole at the bottom of the filter holder is big enough, that's not the bottleneck - flow thru the filter itself is, plus the permanent filter is rigid and has less cubic space for the brewed coffee than if you used paper).

I thought perhaps a cloth filter might do well, but again, it's just like paper in terms of cubic space. The real solution would be for B&D to decrease the water flow, but I doubt that would happen.

Cheers

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Mar 29, 2004, 12:37pm

IBAWriter Said:

Mark...in the review you used the word "exasperating"...the former teacher in me believes you might have meant "exacerbating" as in...to intensify or make worse...other than that...a most useful review for many a traveler minus their French Press!...God, how I hate those hotel room Sunbeam (Hamilton beach, etc) mini drip disasters...
Rob

Posted March 27, 2004 link

Thanks for the typo correction Rob!

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Mar 29, 2004, 12:42pm

BTW, I've gotten emails (two of them) about the cup used in some of the photos.

It's from Bridgehead, probably my favorite cafe in Ottawa, and a 100% fair trade / organic coffee house with three (and soon four) locations. I only wish that they a) would start roasting their own beans instead of getting some Montreal firm to do it, and b) ditch the super auto and get some serious tools for crafting espresso (the drip coffee setup is excellent, and you can get press pot coffee in small or large sizes).

Highly recommended visit if you're in Ottawa.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
korngold
korngold
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: WE Popcorn Pumper
Posted Sun Apr 4, 2004, 8:06pm

Hey, all!  

I have the black (taller) version of the two, but I got mine at Goodwill for somewhere around $3.  It has actually replaced my Estro espresso machine at work, and works pretty well.  Mine brews plenty warm, and with 2 heaping tablespoons of fresh-ground, recently roasted java, it will brew in about 4 - 5 minutes sans explosion.  Maybe it's a difference between machines, but I have not used anything but the permanent filter, and have not had an overflow or grounds spillage issue.  Just in case you're pondering buying one of these items, it does work pretty well.

However, I am considering replacing it with the infinitely cooler, albeit considerably more expensive, Bodum Mini Santos (electric).  I think the Mini Santos is an impressive alternative, and brews something like 25 oz at a time.  They call it a 5 cup brewer, but I'd say 25 oz would fit in two of my gigantic mugs or two average to-go mugs, which is actually more appealing to me.  Not to mention the vacuum action, and I think the Bodum is made here in the good old US of A. . . does anyone know for sure?
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Apr 4, 2004, 9:29pm

korngold Said:

Not to mention the vacuum action, and I think the Bodum is made here in the good old US of A. . . does anyone know for sure?

Posted April 4, 2004 link

Made in Germany. But Germany is a democracy with good labor rights protections. In some ways, better than the USA.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
moopheus

Espresso: Krups Novo
Grinder: Solis Maestro plus
Drip: B&D cup-at-a-time
Posted Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:59pm

I've had a Cup at a Time coffeemaker for about 10 years now--I first bought it to have on my desk at work, so I wouldn't have to drink the industrial stuff in the office. The one I have doesn't have its own filter or mug. It brews directly into a regular coffee mug using a #1 filter, which aren't that hard to find, though it's true they aren't sold everywhere. I don't have much problem with blooming, as I don't use quite 2.5 tbs of coffee for it; it took a little trial and error to find how much to put in without overflow. I still use it almost every day.
 View Profile Link to this post
el_cabong
el_cabong

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,  Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario Deco, Cory ACB-2
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Roaster: HWP, HG/CIB, SC/CO
Posted Tue Apr 13, 2004, 3:46pm

JJ Said:

I also hate buying anything made in china, the only problem is that you cannot walk into a major retailer and find anything that is not made in china with slave or prison camp labor.

Posted March 28, 2004 link

I'm sure I'm a bit of a "johnny come lately" on the off topic portions of this thread, but I just couldn't resist pointing out that prison labor is used more often in the US than most people are aware. In many cases the proceeds of this labor are not used to pay the prisoner, but to offset the costs of incarceration.  In at least one case a factory that used to offer good paying manufacturing jobs was closed so that the products it produced could be moved to prisons (Lockhart Technologies). This is particularly disconcerting if you take into consideration that more and more corrections facilities are commercially operated.

So if you want to stay away from companies that use prison labor, you may want to include the following companies that use, or have used in the past, American prison labor.

Microsoft
Toys R' US
TWA
IBM
Compaq
Dell

or you may want to peruse this list.

So what's my point? To be honest, I don't know, but I will say is that we Americans can be some of the most hypocritical people on the face of the earth. I haven't changed my buying habits as they relate to China, and I won't say that I'm not going to buy anything from the companies I've listed above.  I guess this is just food for thought, or as Rod Serling used to say "submitted for your approval...." (this is quite a Twilight Zone-esque twist, in a way).

Edit: It occurred to me that because I quoted JJ that it might be assumed that this post was directed at him. Nothing could be farther from the truth. It's not my intention to lump him in with the hypocritical Americans I rail about in this post. I found his comments, as well as Dana's, very insightful and I only referenced JJ's words because they were a catalyst to my own thoughts on this subject.
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Apr 13, 2004, 5:24pm

I actually don't have much a problem with using prison labour in the US (or Canada for that matter... doesn't happen as far as I know, but I wish it did). The catch is, I'd like 100% of the funds to be used to actually do positive, proactive reform programs for the prisoners so they don't end up back in jail.

Also, one could argue there's a huge difference between political prisoners (China) and criminal prisoners. AND... one could even argue the US has its share of political prisoners (I know I have) but I won't get into those arguments here :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
el_cabong
el_cabong

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,  Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario Deco, Cory ACB-2
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Roaster: HWP, HG/CIB, SC/CO
Posted Tue Apr 13, 2004, 5:57pm

Mark - Excellent point about using the profits from prison labor for prisoner reform. In fact, in a couple of cases, the work that the prisoners do contributes to learning valuable job skills. In one case the prisoners are doing Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), and in another they are doing some useful data entry. In many cases they are doing mindless work (packing software in boxes for Microsoft) that has little market value that might promote their successful rehabilitation.

One vaguely disturbing issue is that America is rapidly turning over our corrections system to commercial industry. This industry's stock in trade is primarily drug addicts. There is a real potential for abuse of this "resource" to promote the profits of the commercial "corrections" industry. If we could count on the proceeds of this labor to rehabilitate these drug addicted criminals (Yes, they are criminals. No argument there.) then I agree that putting them to work is a good thing.

I appreciate your distinction between criminals and political prisoners. The difference is a huge one. Getting thrown in jail for committing a real crime is not the same as getting thrown in jail for disagreeing with your government.

I guess my point is that we (Americans) have a pretty "Polly-Anna" view about our own social conditions, especially as it relates to the judgment we pass on other nations and societies of the world.

Joel
JimT

Espresso: Gaggia coffee
Grinder: K30 ES, Rancilio Rocky...
Vac Pot: AeroPress, hario
Drip: Pourover Cone
Roaster: poppery 1
Posted Wed Apr 21, 2004, 8:48am

el_cabong Said:

I'm sure I'm a bit of a "johnny come lately" on the off topic portions of this thread, but I just couldn't resist pointing out that prison labor is used more often in the US than most people are aware. In many cases the proceeds of this labor are not used to pay the prisoner, but to offset the costs of incarceration.  In at least one case a factory that used to offer good paying manufacturing jobs was closed so that the products it produced could be moved to prisons (Lockhart Technologies). This is particularly disconcerting if you take into consideration that more and more corrections facilities are commercially operated.

So if you want to stay away from companies that use prison labor, you may want to include the following companies that use, or have used in the past, American prison labor.

Microsoft
Toys R' US
TWA
IBM
Compaq
Dell

or you may want to peruse this list.

So what's my point? To be honest, I don't know, but I will say is that we Americans can be some of the most hypocritical people on the face of the earth. I haven't changed my buying habits as they relate to China, and I won't say that I'm not going to buy anything from the companies I've listed above.  I guess this is just food for thought, or as Rod Serling used to say "submitted for your approval...." (this is quite a Twilight Zone-esque twist, in a way).

Edit: It occurred to me that because I quoted JJ that it might be assumed that this post was directed at him. Nothing could be farther from the truth. It's not my intention to lump him in with the hypocritical Americans I rail about in this post. I found his comments, as well as Dana's, very insightful and I only referenced JJ's words because they were a catalyst to my own thoughts on this subject.

Posted April 13, 2004 link

I know that alot of companies in the US are using prison labor and I also do not agree with this. Recently I heard on the news (can't remember where) that a company was using prisoners to do telemarketing, well a prisoner harrased a women while doing his job and misused her information. Do you really want prisoners doing our jobs?  Having access  to our personal information and addresses, credit card numbers, and so on. It doesn't bother the companies that just want your money and then to heck with you, but it sure bothers me! The next thing you know they will be teaching your kids since there is a teacher shortage or maybe taking care of your elderly parents since no one wants that job either. Wait there is a shortage of Doctors also maybe we can train them to operate on us!

Are there not enough honest hardworking people who are unemployed that need a job and would be willing to do alot of these jobs given a chance? I say there is.

I think it is time to wake up and put a stop to this insanity!!!

Jim
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Brew N Go Budget...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294443845749)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+