Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Krups Moka Brew Pressure Brewer
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Krups Moka Brew...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Nov 25, 2003, 1:00am
Subject: Krups Moka Brew Pressure Brewer

Krups Moka Brew Pressure Brewer

CoffeeGeek has a short term look at a new, yet old style of coffee brewing - a 1.1 litre pressure brewer from Krups.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Nov 27, 2003, 2:30am
Subject: Re: Krups Moka Brew Pressure Brewer

I'm guessing everyone's in shock over a Krups product getting a good review :) :)

No feedback?

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Fri Nov 28, 2003, 6:17pm

I've had my Moka Brew for about a month, and must say you've written an excellent review.

I completely concur with your analysis of the taste of the brew it produces.

I've owned several different models of drip, vacuum pot, and moka machines over the years, and this Krups definitely makes a unique, complex, and exceptional cup.

The smell you describe is very noticeable as well, and for me probably the worst feature of the machine.  Fortunately that tarry odor doesn't get into the pot.

One other trick that you touched on is stirring the pot before pouring, which I've found can make a major difference in the taste.

As with all new machines it took me some time to get the grind and coffee amount adjusted precisely (I've purchased a digital scale, and upgraded my grinder), but the effort has been more than worth it.

Thanks for highlighting this amazing machine, and for a really first rate review.
 View Profile Link to this post
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia (PID'd)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Starbucks...
Vac Pot: Bodum Thermal French Press
Drip: Melitta pourover
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Sat Nov 29, 2003, 11:54am

I think the shock of a new brewer is setting in.  A little pricey, but incidently I found it on Yahoo for $99US.  Definitely a nice review, didn't leave me really asking any questions.  As you indirectly stated, though, it'd be nice if they made this brewer with a thermal carafe.  I wonder if this brew method will catch on with other manufacturers?  That being said, it would be interesting if one could get ahold of some of the German ones and try them out.  Maybe the Krups is directly modelled after one of them!  That could account for this being the first Krups that you were actually satisfied with.
Cheers!
    -Dave
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cai

Espresso: zaffiro
Grinder: mazzer mini
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: chemex, Krups Moka
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Sat Nov 29, 2003, 1:09pm

Greetings,

I've been using the Moka Brew for several months and Mark's review is excellent.

If any Moka Brew owner has found a way to keep the cord from coming out of those clips in the base please post a solution. I move the brewer from a cabinet to the counter top and the cord keeps coming loose from the clips when I lift it up.

Thanks,

Cliff Isackson
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sun Nov 30, 2003, 9:12am
Subject: Cord problem

I don't move mine so haven't had this problem, but I just looked at it and can see how the cord could come out of the slot if it's pulled on.

Perhaps some silicon sealant, like bathroom caulk, would do the trick.  Should hold it securely, but be pliant enough to allow prying it out if you ever needed to without damaging the cord.
treebeans

Posted Fri Dec 5, 2003, 8:32pm

thnx for the run-thru coffeeKid.  I have recenlty been wondering about this method since noticing a coffee stand marketing 'pressure brewed'... I appreciate the attention you have given to outline the results of this machine.  now i'll have to give this a try... thanks for stirring up the pot with something new to me
AtlantaAdMan

Expertise: Aficionado

Posted Sat Dec 6, 2003, 7:55am

Talk about timing...

I spent about an hour in Williams-Sonoma yesterday and the clerks thought I was nuts.  I had their display model completely taken apart on the counter checking it out from every angle and dimension, trying to get a sense of exactly whaat I would get in my cup for $100......of course.....since it was Krups......I didn't take it home (they were NOT happy with me).

After reading your review....I'm going back to buy it.  I feel obligated to get it from them, after what I put them through yesterday. ;-)
RAS
RAS
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PV Lusso, Cremina, Oly...
Grinder: OE Pharos
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Manual (funnel)
Roaster: Heat gun
Posted Thu Dec 18, 2003, 2:31pm
Subject: Re: Krups Moka Brew Pressure Brewer - 15% off!

Thanks for the in-depth review. Sounds like a quicker, less involved weekday morning brewing method (compared to my usual method - vacpot).

Just ordered one from www.cooking.com. And got 15% off using the coupon code C88226. This deal is good through 1/8/04.

Bob

Bob
AtlantaAdMan

Expertise: Aficionado

Posted Fri Dec 26, 2003, 6:28pm

OK....so it took me a little while to go back and get it......but I did today, and I'm enjoying the first cup from it as I type this........NICE!

Defintely a great review.....and accurate.

My wife is enjoying a cup as well......and for once......she said I spent my money wisely.  Which she has NEVER said when I've brought home new coffee toys ;-)
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Krups Moka Brew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264442920685)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+