Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Krups Moka Brew Pressure Brewer
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Krups Moka Brew...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
christinek

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 20, 2004, 6:10am
Subject: Re: Krups Moka Brew Pressure Brewer

Hi, I'm new to CoffeeGeek and I had one of these pressure brewers when I lived in Germany. After a year back in the US, drinking horrible, tasteless, weak coffee, my husband found this site and we've ordered a new one.
A remark on your review: I'm sure all you coffee geeks know that a cup of coffee in most European countries is ap. 4 oz., and that coffee is not drunk by the pint. It's obviously a lot stronger, too. I think that to get the full value from the Moka Brew, it's worth trying coffee the European way.
About the question of reliability--I had my brewer in Germany for about 3 years and it functioned perfectly. Because of the high levels of lime in the water, I decalcified the machine about once a month.
There is a far greater variety of coffee makers available in Europe--this one is the best that I know of, with the exception of the big Italian espresso makers that cost 5 or 6 times as much.
The German custom is to pour freshly brewed coffee into a thermos jug and serve from there; I second that recommendation.
Can't wait until my brewer arrives!
 View Profile Link to this post
Caver
Caver

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Capresso Infinity, Rocky DL
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Melitta...
Roaster: Soon
Posted Sun Nov 21, 2004, 11:30am

Thanks All!

I'm another one that's new to Coffeegeek, but not to coffee.  I was looking for something with more flavor and body than regular drip (Bunn GR10) but I'm not quite ready to jump to an Espresso machine.  I decided to check out the Krups Moka Brew, based on the discussion here and in other threads.

Well...I've had it a week now and I'm quite pleased.  I started with the 1gm/1oz ratio discussed here, a fairly fine grind with a bit of a tamp.  My first pot wasn't stellar, but it was as good as normal drip.  I've experimented with the grind, using a digital scale and dialed in what I feel is a pretty good routine.  The discussion here saved me a LOT of experimentation.  The Bunn machine is now residing in a cabinet, the Krups, inheriting it's counter space.

The fresh roasted beans from my favorite shop have taken on a new life.  I have to re-try all their varieties again...ahhh...such a chore!  Now I'm on a search to set up a GG/SC combo and give home roasting a try.  

Thanks for all the great info!

--
Tom

"Modesty is for those who have no Talent!"
Lazarus Long
lsd

Grinder: Barista Burr
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Posted Sun Nov 21, 2004, 11:54am

So what ratio did you find works best?
Caver
Caver

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Capresso Infinity, Rocky DL
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Melitta...
Roaster: Soon
Posted Sun Nov 21, 2004, 12:25pm

I try to stick pretty close to the 1gm/1oz ratio. and like an Espresso machine, I played with the grind and tamp to vary the extraction time.  On my Capresso Infinity, I grind at the finest click in the "Fine" range and tamp fairly hard with a Morton Salt container that just about fits the basket.  I need to do something for a better tamper...LOL!

This machine is definitely more "technique dependent" than the usual drip machine if you want consistent results, but it's not as intense as an Espresso machine.

Good luck.

--
Tom

"Modesty is for those who have no Talent!"
Lazarus Long
proximityzero
proximityzero
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Wega Mini Nova
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: vac pots are for pretentious...
Drip: Capresso ST600
Roaster: Behmor 1600, homebuilt fluid...
Posted Sun Apr 17, 2005, 10:07pm

has anyone else found that this machine is difficult to clean well? It seems i can never get the aroma of coffee out of mine, which i consider to represent rancid oils collecting...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MamaMeg

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 6:51pm

What are you having difficulty getting the smell out of?  The carafe?  I simply wash mine with hot soapy water.  The tank gets a pot of water mixed with white vinegar run through it about once a month to keep it clean.  

Are you taking apart the top of the pot.  Removing the small nut and washing and cleaning the top thoroughly?  

If none of that has worked I would try soaking all of the parts in some hot water and white vinegar or lemon juice.
Turbineguy

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Posted Thu May 12, 2005, 9:10pm

I have had the same problem and have cured it by using an expresso/coffee machine cleaner such as Urnex or Brew Rite.  Was simply amazed how much yeech came out of the machine during my first cleaning.  We use ours for 2 pots daily and do a cleaning every other week.

If you have any questions, send me an email.

Bob
caffemodo

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 4:53am
Subject: Krups Moka Brew Pressure Brewer - help needed

Hi all
We just purchased a new  Krups Moka Pressure Brewer and for some reason we cannot operate it properly. We follow the directions, but when the water boils and the coffee drips, the most of it spills outside the carafe onto the table.
Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot,
Moshe & Orit
lsd

Grinder: Barista Burr
Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 11:59am
Subject: Re: Krups Moka Brew Pressure Brewer - help needed

Soounds like the problem is the lid isn't fully seated over the water.  Make sure the black handle is positioned to the rear and the lid is secure.  Then make sure the coffee pot firs snugly and then lock it in.
mgwolf

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium 1, Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama, Sunbeam C50
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Chemex
Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 12:36pm

Moshe and Orit,
You pushed down the locking lever?  The carafe goes in and is a little snug because it seats under a rubber grommet/washer with a hole in the middle which is where the steam goes through.  Even though it's snug, there is a lever that you must push down to lock it in.  If the hole in the rubber washer and the hole in the carafe lid line up, there's no where else for the water to go except in the carafe.  Michael
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Krups Moka Brew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.212599992752)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+