Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Grindenstein Knockbox
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Grindenstein...  
view previous topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
groomcreek
groomcreek
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Macap
Posted Wed Aug 29, 2007, 9:09am
Subject: Re: Grindenstein Knockbox

I always respected the reviews on this site because of the apparent unbiased, thorough and professional use format.

BUT, the review of the Grindenstein Knock-box is way out of whack!!!!!! Is this because Coffegeek is selling this unit? Sure makes me wonder....I'll be much more skeptical of future reviews.

This is the WORST knock-box I've ever used. Way too small to be of ANY practical use. Sure it's cute - that's why I was drawn into buying it. The red color matched my La Spaziale. In real world use it's worthless, leaving a mess all over the counter.

I'll sell this one week old Grindenstein for $10.00 to the first response.
 View Profile Link to this post
cjbrubaker

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S24, Silvia PID,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E type B
Vac Pot: Yama 4-cup
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2007, 10:45pm

I've been looking for a Grindenstein. I can use your red piece o' junk if you still have it. :)
I_Need_An_Intervention

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2007, 6:26am

The picture of the beat up stainless steel knockbox that was compared to the Grindstein is actually a pretty good knockbox. It is much larger than the Grindstein and has a solid rubber base. Don't pay attention to the picture of the worn bar; it was obviously abused rather than used properly. Even if the bar does wear out, you can buy a new one for $7 at wholelattelove.com.
Marcho
Marcho

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2008, 1:49pm

I am just now looking around for a knockbox. Have been using the trash can, but, you know, half the time I get some of the grounds on the floor and this makes for a very unhappy wife. I have been looking for something smaller and good looking. This might just fit the bill !!
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2008, 2:39pm

I_Need_An_Intervention Said:

Don't pay attention to the picture of the worn bar; it was obviously abused rather than used properly. Even if the bar does wear out, you can buy a new one for $7 at wholelattelove.com.

Posted October 22, 2007 link

Actually, do pay attention to the photos I posted and the words I wrote about the beat up knockbox and ripped rubber bar in the stainless steel model. It's a piece of garbage.

That knockbox was *not* abused, save for one unfortunate trip to the dishwasher that resulted in about 2 hours of cleanup work, peeling melted rubber from dishes and various parts of the dishwasher. As I said in the review, that box had around 150 uses or maybe half a year in a normal house. And the damage to the rubber coating and grommets came long before that - about 50, 75, I started seeing the wear and tear, and started being more gentle with it.

If you think buying a knockbox for $25, $30, then every four to six months you have to spend another $7 plus shipping for a new bar (and I don't know if that includes the grommets), I don't know what to say.

If you think buying a knockbox, and not having the crucial parts fall apart in just a few months is an important buying decision, stay away from the metal unit unless they completely redesign the way the bar mounts (the grommets will crack in a few dozen uses), and the rubber that coats the metal bar has to be more durable, less prone to tearing and definitely melt-proof. Given that it melted completely in a dishwasher that we normally set to "air dry", hitting it with the rim of a 200F portafilter ain't going to work very well.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2008, 3:53pm

Marcho Said:

I am just now looking around for a knockbox. Have been using the trash can, but, you know, half the time I get some of the grounds on the floor and this makes for a very unhappy wife. I have been looking for something smaller and good looking. This might just fit the bill !!

Posted February 10, 2008 link

I been using myt Grindenstein for over 2 years...at least 6-8 times a day....it's still as the day I purchased it...i get about 6 double pucks before dumping...what's the big deal...3 steps to the garbage can under the sink, dump, rinse quickly...ta da....
There is nothing real (to me0 attractive about a half filled, coffee stained SS knock box....another plus is the G-Stein is quieter...slightly!
The parent company is a sponsor, and they are exceedingly nice. I own one of the pizza/pie cutter things the manufacture...it's a great kitchen tool.
Y'all know I don't work for Grindenstein....in fact I hardly work at all....lol

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
KittenCoffee
KittenCoffee
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Brasillia, Expobar, La...
Grinder: Rancillo
Roaster: Geometrico 15
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2008, 9:03am

Hi Mark,

I just saw your review of the small Australian knock boxes – excellent review. Just out of interest, almost all Australian cafes have large commercial size versions of these made out of thick walled 6” pvc pipe with a hardwood rod. I couldn’t believe that they hadn’t made there way across the Pacific. Pretty “agricultural’” but they hold maybe 15lbs of grounds and they free up the bench.   As espresso slowly but surely makes inroads into drip, these become an absolute necessity for volume, speed and space.

KittenCoffee: KnockPipeSmall.JPG
(Click for larger image)
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Grindenstein...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249284029007)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+