Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Grindenstein Knockbox
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Grindenstein...  
view previous topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Jasonian
Jasonian
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Apr 23, 2006, 2:01am
Subject: Re: Grindenstein Knockbox

MarkPrince Said:

I like the look of the square metal knock box (as well as the rounded version Starbucks sold for some time), but when you have parts failing on it after a few weeks' worth of use, it has issues. The rubber melting in the dishwasher was the worst. It created quite a mess that was difficult to clean up. We had melted rubber on forks and knives and spoons, and it probably gummed up the dishwasher's workings as well.

Mark

Posted April 22, 2006 link

geez, that's good to know.

www.AJCoffeeCo.com - www.espressotrainer.com - www.TX-Coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
DavidMLewis

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Infuze
Drip: Clever
Roaster: Hottop, HWP
Posted Sun Apr 23, 2006, 4:13am

Hi Mark,

For your XL version, I think you really should get someone to send you one of the Sunbeam ones. The Dreamfarm folks were very clearly looking at that when they designed theirs, and I say that as a compliment. The two units target different markets, mainly because of the size. One nice touch on the Sunbeam, since it's metal, is the rubber ring on the top so you won't damage anything if you miss one morning; I suspect the plastic on the Grindenstein has enough give to serve the same purpose.

Best,
   David
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mattyj
mattyj

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Hario Mocha 3 Cup ... broken...
Posted Sun Apr 23, 2006, 5:17am

I've got the sunbeam one ... very solid unit. Wooden bar, massively thick rubber. I've had it for 2 years +, and like the grindenstien, stick it in the dishwasher (er ... ask the dishwasher very nicely if she'll please wash it ;-) ), and it looks brand new too.

My only gripe with the sunbeam is that it's so big that by the time it's begging to be emptied, the pucks at the very bottom are green!

And it is a bit boring to look at.
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Apr 23, 2006, 12:10pm

mattyj Said:

My only gripe with the sunbeam is that it's so big that by the time it's begging to be emptied, the pucks at the very bottom are green!

Posted April 23, 2006 link

Ewwww! ;)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
randomperson

Espresso: La Valentina Levetta, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E, Rocky...
Drip: Capresso MT500, Braun...
Posted Mon Apr 24, 2006, 8:26am

Thanks for this review -- the thing looks fantastic and the website is really well designed.

I ordered one last night online (Sunday night) and by the time I got up this morning I received an email that it had already shipped!  That's pretty amazing!  Who knows when I'll get it (mine is Marine Blue -- very cool-looking) but you can't beat them for responsiveness.
 View Profile Link to this post
rbh1515

Espresso: LM GS3
Grinder: Mahlkonig/VersalabM3
Vac Pot: have one
Drip: no
Roaster: got that too/never use it
Posted Mon Apr 24, 2006, 8:57am

I've had my red Grindenstein for over a year now and it still looks new.  I had the same metal knockbox pictured in the review and it was a disaster--it essentially fell apart.  An important feature of the Grindenstein that I did not see mentioned in the review (and one of the main reasons I bought the Grindenstein besides its cool looks) is that there is no gap where the bar attaches to the sides of the knockbox.  The metal one has the gap above the bar, and stuff tended to splash out there and make a mess--exactly what you are trying to avoid by using a knockbox.
The only part of the review that I just don't get is the noise issue.  I think there may be even less noise with my Grindenstein--certainly not any more noise.  But then again, I just tap it out, and the puck almost always falls out easily.  Even when I have to knock a bit harder, I haven't noticed any noise.  Your countertop construction may play more of a role in the noise than anything else.  My countertops are 1.5inch granite.
I actually like the size of the Grindenstein.  I like that I can easily pick it up with one hand.  Its so lightweight, but so solidly constructed.  Best of both worlds.    
Rob
Javabike
Javabike

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Wed Apr 26, 2006, 2:05pm

Hi folks - I have loved my Grindenstein!  I would agree that the size would be too small for a commercial setting, but for home use its brilliant!  The noise factor is not that bad in my estimation.  The stiff plastic makes a hollow retort, but I do not find it annoying.  I guess Mark really is "torture" testing it!

I also concur with Rob's statement about customer service.  Mel and the rest of the Grindenstein folks are fantastic and always on the ball.  I had a shipping problem (not on Grindenstein's end - USPS dropped the ball...), but Mel reacted very quickly & sorted everything out. I would instantly order from them again if needed.

Killer looks + colors, great price, super functional, awesome service.

Ed
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Apr 26, 2006, 5:12pm

Updates (and Javabike - I'm going to leave your post intact, but please read our forum rules, esp, about the probationary period, before posting again. Thanks!).

I have an update... it's a good thing that Dreamfarm has improved the product and added a steel bar to the knock bar... cuz today, I broke the bar in the white one. ;). The Krups machine getting tested is particularly soupy and sticky in the portafilter, and it requires a lot of solid knocks to dislodge the mess... on one of the knocks today, crunk, the plastic bar broke on the white model.

Ironically enough, it's still usuable, and now it's a bit quieter! ;) There is a bit of flex now to the bar when hit. I assume the plastic bar inside is broken right in the middle, but the rubber cover is so thick, it's holding everything together.

I do think that, in time, the rough edge of the broken plastic bar will probably chew through the rubber though, so long term, it's probably bad. Which is why it is so good that Dreamfarm now sells these with a reinforced steel bar inside ;)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Apr 26, 2006, 9:33pm

I have both the older design and the new design, the "Steel Wool" model....awesome.
As some may remember, I posted a thread topic on my Grindenstein...as "un-fan-like" as I could remain...it was hard to do, as I really like it!
Mark's review is well done, and touches all the bases....geez, Mark...why all the wet/soupy pucks?...think you're slippin a bit, son!...LOL
Seriously, as I had mentioned in my above mentioned thread, and the other "Rob" touched upon, is the wonderfully friendly folks who bring us the 'Stein. Customer service, and pride in their product are a hard combination to beat.
And, for anyone who questioned whether "adverts"  might be a problem here at CG, I can say without the Grindenstein CG clicker, I most probably wouldn't have my Grindenstein.
Funny though, how such a little thing (pun) like this can be such a big help. Now, if someone would invent the non stick PF basket!...Dreamfarm, are you reading this?...haha

edited...replaced "doubted" with questioned/might be

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
Rick
Rick

Espresso: Wega Mininova Inox Auto...
Grinder: Macap M4 stepped
Drip: Melitta #2 cone filter
Roaster: Stir-Crazy/Infinity Turbo...
Posted Mon May 1, 2006, 12:31pm

MarkPrince Said:

I like the look of the square metal knock box (as well as the rounded version Starbucks sold for some time), but when you have parts failing on it after a few weeks' worth of use, it has issues.

Posted April 22, 2006 link

I'm still on my first Starbucks rounded version, bought in 2002.  The rubber grommets lasted a few months, the rubber coating on the knock bar several months more. I removed the rubber and slid a piece of 250 psi fibre-reinforced flexible tubing on the knock bar. It's a perfect fit, and it is standing up much better than the original rubber (although it's a bit harder and provides less "cushion"). I cut the tubing a bit long and it provide some of the cushion once provided by the long-gone rubber grommets. I'm on my 2nd or 3rd replacement of the tubing, but it's cheap.

Rick
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Grindenstein...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277142047882)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+