Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Krups Moka Brew Pressure Brewer
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Krups Moka Brew...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Bunnfan

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2005, 2:05pm
Subject: Re: Krups Moka Brew Pressure Brewer

caffemodo Said:

Hi all
We just purchased a new  Krups Moka Pressure Brewer and for some reason we cannot operate it properly. We follow the directions, but when the water boils and the coffee drips, the most of it spills outside the carafe onto the table.
Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot,
Moshe & Orit

Posted October 23, 2005 link

Just received my Moka Brew and had the same problem.  Check the "outlet" that clamps down onto the top of the pot; the seal on mine was missing.  Asked Krups to replace it but they don't just send the $.25 part from their website "customer service" but require a copy of the purchase order and detailed description of the problem. Before playing that game, I jury-rigged a regular faucet seal to test the unit but was so disappointed in the results, have decided to simply return the unit for refund.  Noted on the bottom it was "Made in France".  Suppose they do that for all export to the USA models?
 View Profile Link to this post
javaseeker

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Anfim Milano
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Posted Fri Nov 18, 2005, 8:47pm

Just got mine... and was a bit surprised at the incredible amount of steam coming out of the thing during brewing. I had my grinder next to the thing, and I'm obviously going to have to move one or the other: the grinder was quite wet after brewing only five of eight "cups". Is that normal for this brewer?
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Sat Nov 19, 2005, 6:15pm

I got mine this morning.... First Cup was some Mexican I roasted about a week ago... best cup of the stuff I have had BARNONE... including... espresso and French Press.... nuff said for me...

I use French press almost exclusively at work... that is probably out the window now...

Ps this thing is WAaaay bigger than I thought it would be.... wow  It is like a coffee machine for real... the Alicia Moka brewer is more like a single or double brewer that makes more espresso style coffee...

The Krups is kind of different... I am enjoying my first Thermos full ... will post more tomorrow after I have a couple more batches of coffee

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mattiefraz
mattiefraz

Posted Thu Dec 1, 2005, 9:57am
Subject: stuff floating on top?

I just got my moka brew two days ago.  I've run the thing with clean, filtered water almost a dozen times now, and still have a strange film on top of the water at the end of brewing.  I washed all the parts with clear water & little soap.  It appears the "stuff" is coming from inside the water heating element, I can see a little film on the surface of the metal.  I've wiped with a clean damp cloth, but can't get the creases under the heating element rods.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?

thanks for any advice.

side note:  made my 2nd pot of coffee, and it's still pretty good! (if you don't mind a strange film on top....)

updated 12/14 **Nevermind, the issue seems to have resolved itself as long as I allow the water tank to dry out after each use.  Appears that leaving the moisture in there develops a strange film?  Anyway, the coffee maker is great, otherwise.  May just be my climate....
robertkn

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2008, 12:24pm

Hi, new poster here.

I just ordered a Moka Brew and have a question about an appropriate grinder. Right now I have a small blade grinder which was OK for my basic drip grind coffee makers. To get the most out of the Krups I think I'll need to upgrade my grinder. After spending $109 on the Krups I would like to economize on a grinder, at least for now.

The way I understand it I will not need that fine a grind for this machine.  Do you think a Mr. Coffee IDS77 would do a good enough job? While it's still a blade grinder it seems to get very good reviews and it's only in the $20-30 range. Has anyone used this grinder. What do you think?

Or what might be a better choice for the Moka Brew, but not too expensive?

Thanks!
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2008, 12:34pm

robertkn Said:

Hi, new poster here.

Posted February 24, 2008 link

Welcome to CoffeeGeek! Always great to have new posters!

Or what might be a better choice for the Moka Brew, but not too expensive?

Go with one of the Baratza grinders. The fineness of the grind is not the issue. Since the Moka Brew uses some pressure to extract the coffee oils, the issue is consistency of grind. No blade grinder will give the required consistency, and water will channel down through the coarser particles, overextracting those grinds, and underextracting the finer particles.

Go with one of the Baratza grinders for a good deal. The Baratza store often has refurbs for $50-$100 that are great for the Moka Brew. Here's a link to the Baratza store via the CG Banner ad:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/banner/312

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
robertkn

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2008, 12:38pm

Wow, you're quick!

I'll check it out. Thanks a lot!
robertkn

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2008, 1:03pm

After reviewing the various Baratza products and trying to figure out the difference between the Solis and Baratza branded machines I emailed "Joe" at Baratza. In a nutshell I learned that the Solis's are not manufactured anymore and the refurbs will be over a year old as of this date (2/08). The Baratza's are the current model and Baratza refurbs will be "under" a year old. I specifically asked about the mechanical differences between the brands in the Maestro Plus model. To quote Joe, "The burrs on both versions are the same, so the actual grind is comparable on both. The Baratza has a more stable adjustment collar, and has the speed reducer if you like to grind oily or dark beans, which can sometimes hang in the hopper of the grinder."

As it turned out I dug up a deal on a new Baratza 'Plus' which actually came out a couple dollars cheaper "delivered" than a refurbished Plus thru Baratza by the time you add on the S/H through Baratza's website. It was still a lot more $$ than I really wanted to spend, but I have the latest technology in the Plus and, from what I read, Baratza is a tremendous company from a service standpoint.

Back to the Moka Brew...

As the Moka arrived 2 days before the Baratza, we made our first couple pots using our old blade grinder. The coffee was still tremendous--like the good stuff you get at upscale restaurants and hotels.

Two days later: The Baratza came yesterday afternoon, so this morning we made our first Moka brew using the Maestro Plus. Wow--even MORE difference. There is a richness and flavor that was not present when we had used the blade grinder. We used the 1g/1oz formula and actually felt that our brew was a tad rich for our taste. Adding a splash of fresh water made the flavor more balanced--for our taste. Tomorrow we're going to cut back the amount of coffee by about 1/2 scoop and see how that goes.

This is an amazing and fun experience. And a little pricey. But, hey, good taste is always a little pricey isn't it? :D  ~D
thistlecoltsfoot
thistlecoltsfoot
Expertise: I like coffee

Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Posted Sun Jul 4, 2010, 7:39am
Subject: Help with replacement carafe?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it in my searches. Where can I find a replacement carafe for my Krups Moka Brew?? I haven't been lucky enough find it online, even searching the Krups "Full line of replacement parts", and putting in model #468-42.
I fear mine breaking, leaving me without my Moka Brew entirely. Also, have they been discontinued it yet? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Groch

Espresso: Krups Orchestro
Grinder: Solis Mistro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: technivorm moccamaster
Roaster: Heathware Precision
Posted Sun Jul 4, 2010, 8:41am
Subject: Re: Help with replacement carafe?

It may be discontinued.  The Krups model for the carafe including the  lid/brew charmber is 046-42.   It used to sell for about $45.  I did a quick search and could not find any in stock.
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Krups Moka Brew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257675886154)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+