Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Technivorm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Niko
Niko
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nespresso D300
Grinder: VitaMix
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew HT
Posted Sat Oct 8, 2005, 11:40pm
Subject: Re: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD

Yesterday was a black Friday for us. Out of the blue, the rocker switch on our Moccamaster CD decided to stay frozen in the On position. Fortunately, we had already enjoyed the pot of coffee. The machine is only about 1.5 years old (from Boyd's). Based on reviews about TV coffee makers and their longevity, I'm treating this as an anomaly. I emailed Boyd's,  got a reply the next day that a new switch assembly was needed. So, I ordered it and, to make the shipping cost worthwhile, also ordered the 9-hole pipe ($12). Hopefully the parts will arrive early next week, and we'll see if a new switch fixes the problem.

Now let me just say that I LOVE this coffee maker, even using the single hole pipe all this time. The coffee it makes just blows away all the other drip machines I've had (Mr. Coffee, Black & Decker, Proctor Silex, Braun, Krups). It's like having the best coffeehouse/restaurant cup of coffee you've ever had, every day at home. Here are some thoughts:

• When I remembered, I would use the carafe-holding or ground-stirring method with this coffee maker.
  • It's the easiest to clean of any of the aforementioned machines. It's also easy to see when it needs descaling.
  • The coffee is so good, in our house a freshly brewed pot doesn't hang around long enough to sit and bake.
  • When making less than 10 cups, I just add a little more coffee to compensate. Or make a whole pot and have some left over for iced coffee later.
  • As with any coffee maker, starting with premium, freshly ground coffee is ideal. But I'm convinced the Moccamaster will brew the best your coffee has to offer, even if it's not very good (like Costco $4/lb coffee). We normally buy a couple local brands, Kalani Organic French Roast, or Tully's Madison Blend. When grinding beans at the market, I found that using the finest drip setting works best, as it slows down the brewing process a bit and allows the grounds to become more saturated. However, using too fine a setting can overflow the filter basket.
  • It's cool looking, except for the yellow-tinted plastic.
  • Simple is good. After a Braun with all the bells and whistles (that actually lasted 9 years), I like the simplicity of a non-digital model. The Moccamaster brews so fast, you don't really need to set it up for automatic brewing anyway. And who needs another clock to reset when the power goes out?

I'll post another note if it turns out there's more wrong than just the switch. In the meantime, we're doing espresso (sigh).
 View Profile Link to this post
bytwo

Espresso: Rancilio Sylvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Baratza...
Drip: Bodum Chambord French Press,...
Roaster: None; I buy from my local...
Posted Sun Oct 9, 2005, 11:37am

Sorry to hear that. I hope it is indeed a one-off problem. We've been very happy with our new Technivorm MoccaMaster CD so far; even when making small amounts of coffee.
dsearcy

Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster CD
Posted Sat Jan 28, 2006, 7:03am

Thanks to Mark for an excellent review. I received this gem in December 2005. Definately the best drip brewer I've owned.

Two of Mark's concerns have been addressed in the newer release of the product.

1. My brewer came with the 9 hole pipe. I didn't have to order it seperately. The 9 hole pipe is a big improvement but I still notice some of the grinds on the sides are a little undersaturated. But I'm sure it isn't nearly as bad as the single hole pipe. (The coffee tastes outstanding!)

2. My box had all the flashy graphics that Mark suggested would make this product more appealing in the US. Technivorm must be listening... :)

I apologize that I don't know where the brewer was purchased as it was a gift. I can ask if anyone cares to know...
WAN

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2006, 9:24am

I bought a Moccamaster GCS just over two years ago from Boyd's.  JUST before warranty expiration the thermostat failed (it kept clicking on and off).  Boyd's repaired it under warranty.  Just AFTER another year (ahem, past any warranty) it shorted out and blew a circuit breaker in my kitchen.  Upon examination (after discovering it would cost $75+ to repair) I removed the bottom portion and discovered it had a leak which was dripping on wire connections causing it to short out.  I deduced this due to small water stains on the inside bottom cover.  I suspected a problem during the previous brews (1-2 days) as it began to make new noises.  The thermostat?  I surmise the water was tripping the internal switch and finally the kitchen circuit breaker shut down the whole show.  I sit in a quandry over spending $75 on a coffeemaker that might be a fire hazard--even AFTER repairs.  Or...chancing another Moccamaster.
But how many times in a lifetime does one spend $200 on a coffeemaker???  

I, too, ordered the multi-hole pipe only to discover all the holes were not CENTERED over the grinds!  I dithered with Boyd's AND Technivorm and never got resolution.  I even sent pictures to Boyds.  Even Boyds agreed the complaint was legitimate....but Technivorm wasn't about to address them.  I went back to my one-holer and used a teaspoon to divert the water over all the grounds.  Not a big deal---I dropped the issue and have my new pipe sitting in a drawer.  
It was more a common sense issue than anything else.  What brain would devise a cure worse than the illness?  Was MY GCS different than others?  Was this pipe not FOR a GCS?  There were no answers forthcoming.  

At issue:  internal leaks in electrical appliances cause unease.
H_Man

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Synesso
Grinder: KA ProLine
Drip: Cone/Press
Posted Sun Sep 10, 2006, 9:05pm

I've been thinking of buying one of these lately, but after reading about this whole "dispersion" issue, I'm having second thoughts...

Don't think I could relax knowing my bed of freshly ground grounds were getting evenly saturated! 8>O

For the more mechanically inclined geeks out there, isn't there some kind of readily available hardware sitting in a bin in some plumbing supply store that can be rigged into it to solve for this?

THINK GEEKS THINK!
psklenar
psklenar

Espresso: Gaggia Baby, 6c Moka, 2c...
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Cory 8c stovetop
Drip: Bunn VP17, Chemex CM-3
Roaster: researching
Posted Thu Dec 14, 2006, 5:08pm

I'm researching a new drip coffee machine to replace my current one.  I think I've narrowed my choices to the Techivorms or the new Capresso due to the 200F+ temps.  There are some worrisome comments about the Capresso & condensation over on Amazon, although I've not seen such comments anywhere else.  I don't like letting my coffee sit on a hotplate, so I'm really more interested in a model with a thermal carafe.  I was thinking that this meant going with one of the older TV's (as opposed to the one in the Quickshot Review) but, just for ha ha's, I wrote to TV the other day.  Thought I'd share the response:

In a couple of months we will have the CD with a thermo jug.

Kind regards,
Ina ten Donkelaar

As for the review that this thread is for ... it appears that the last posting was in  mid September and the last comment from a TV CD owner was back in January.  Has anyone developed any new thoughts about this model that they'd be willing to share?

Thanks,
pat----
Blazer

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2006, 10:12am

I'm trying to make the same decision now, between the TVs or Capresso with the thermal carafe. My research of reviews seems to indicate the TVs for greater durability and the Capresso units for looks. I'm leaning toward the Capresso ST600 due to the true 10 cup (50oz) capacity where the TV has only 42oz. (1.25 liters) capacity but still lists it as 10 cups.
JC7

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2008, 1:38pm

I am no expert but I do roast my own coffee.

I have the Technivorm MoccaMaster Clubline.
I will probably never have to buy a new coffee brewer. ( unless the element burns out)
I am totally impressed with the  simplicity and thought that went into this design.
I had one problem the first week, it started smoking. One connection on the element
was loose and was burning the plastic on the wire. This machine is designed for easy repair
for any one slightly handy. it is simple to take apart and put together. I replaced the connection
and have had no problem since.
Mine came with the nine hole spout and a three position slide switch on the filter assembly.
Off, Half and full. No auto shut off. You allow it to saturate the grounds before switching to a
slow or fast drip. I stir it too. If you forget to switch it on the housing is designed to over flow
into the pot. I can attest that no coffee was spilt out side of the pot. (3 occasions)
The nine hole design doesn't spread the water a lot, most of the water seems to come out in
a fairly narrow area. It does seem to do a fairly good job of saturation even without pre saturation.
BTW the spout can be moved a few degrees to either side.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is the float in the water chamber that shuts off the element
as soon as the chamber is empty so that the heating chamber is never empty and dry heated,
which reduces mineral build up immensely.

I am very happy with this machine and suspect it will out last anything previously owned.
$185.00 US /04/27/06

Where do I find a "good" single dose grinder and a "good" reasonably priced espresso maker?
FALK

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Sep 7, 2008, 12:34am

Hey Mark

There is a thermo version of the moccamaster.
Ive been a fan of this system for many years now.

best

simon FALK
Niko
Niko

Espresso: Nespresso D300
Grinder: VitaMix
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew HT
Posted Wed May 12, 2010, 7:57pm

Still have the same MoccaMaster CD, now going on 6 years. Here's what we've had to replace:

ROCKER SWITCH, 2X (wiring insulation has degraded and melted/cracked off, so I've wrapped the wires as best as possible with electrical tape)
CARAFE, 1X (the glass didn't break, it was one "ear" of the carafe handle that finally broke off from repeated removal of the lid for cleaning -- had to order a whole new carafe)
FILTER BASKET LID, 1X (inexplicable problem, not sure why it developed a crack and broke around the slot)

Other notes:
The heating plate has popped off from pulling, but it's easy to clean up and bolt back on.
The water reservoir gets nasty if you leave the cover on. There's enough moisture and heat after brewing to create a nice little jungle in there.
I'm disappointed in the plastic parts breaking. With good parts design and polycarbonate, this should not be happening for the amount of use we give.
Replacing parts through Boyd's is expensive, e.g., a new fiilter basket lid is $5.95 but the shipping is $9.95.

Still makes awesome coffee, though, and that's what it's all about!
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Technivorm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.223088026047)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+