Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Eva Solo Cafe Solo
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Eva Solo Cafe...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Wed Jun 29, 2005, 9:17pm
Subject: Re: Eva Solo Cafe Solo

Hmm. Great review Mark, and I'm buying one of these suckers. I'm a newbie, BTW. However:

One thing I did discover is that there's a sweet spot in the timing for when coffee out of the Cafe Solo is good - between the 4 minute mark and about 12 minutes (after adding water). Longer than that, and the coffee really starts to show signs of bitterness and over extraction. It's even more noticeable in this device than with a press pot because in a press pot, the ground coffee is mostly separated from the brewed coffee (although by no means completely).

This seems to argue that a press pot would make better coffee if extraction went longer than is customarily respected. But in your "how to" for press pots, you cite four minutes steep time (as does everyone else). But above, clearly you're speaking of a sweet spot extending out to 12 minutes. As far as I know, the physics in both situations differ little.

Why would not your findings concerning the Eva revise understanding of steep time in press pots?

I'm wondering whether it's right to compare brew from an Eva steeped for 10 minutes with a press pot that's pressed at 4.

Thanks for the review!

- Scott
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
citrus

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2005, 1:42pm

I've wondered, with all the heating of the pot and then the heating of the water how a microwave would work. I just got mine in the mail and the first cup was weak and luke warm. Finer grind. More heating of water.

Roger
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Nov 22, 2005, 2:19pm

rasqual Said:

This seems to argue that a press pot would make better coffee if extraction went longer than is customarily respected. But in your "how to" for press pots, you cite four minutes steep time (as does everyone else). But above, clearly you're speaking of a sweet spot extending out to 12 minutes. As far as I know, the physics in both situations differ little

Posted June 29, 2005 link

I think there may be some confusion here - I'm not talking about brew times, but more about the "drinkability times" of the coffee. Steep time in both brewing methods is 2-4 minutes. Then you drink. It's that time between 4 minutes and 12 minutes (after initial adding of brew water) where I'm talking about how the coffee is still drinkable.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
cstephen98

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2005, 2:06pm

I'm also looking for a Canadian distributer of the Eva Solo.  Between shipping charges, GST and Brokerage fees, it can double the price of one of the units.  Any links would be *greatly* appreciated.

T.I.A.
 View Profile Link to this post
love_this

Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Drip: SwissGold, press-pot
Roaster: Hearthware I-Roast
Posted Tue Dec 27, 2005, 3:38pm

Thanks for all the great input on this coffee maker. Things like this aren't readily available here in the US. Thus to us, they look pretty cool.

I'm still noodling whether to buy one or just buy a bigger press pot for when we have company over.
richedie

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2006, 1:40pm

Great, now I really need to get one of these! I hear they came down in price. Sucks because I just ditched my french Press for a Trudeau Tirra coffee maker which is basically a French Pull. I wonder if I could return it and buy the Eva Solo. Maybe get both? Is the ending coffee that much better in the Eva?
richedie

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2006, 6:50pm

So is this EvaSol one of the best ways to make coffee in the home? I have been on the hunt for a vacuum or the Krups Moka Brew but this Eva gets amazing reviews!

My goal is always to get the most taste out of coffee and from the reviews, the Eva is unmatched other than espresso. The main review on the site talks about total immersion of the grounds and this and a press would be it, correct? What about vacuum or moka pot? If the Krups or Moka won't get me to coffee heaven, I may as well just get an Eva and be done with it.

Bottom line for me is an easy way to make a brew in the morning where I can pour it into a thermal carafe and have it last for up to an hour. I assume the Eva still produces the sediment as found in a french Press? My Tirra supposedly doesn't produce as much as a press but I haven't used it yet.

I assume the coffee from the Eva is still drinkable if transferred to a carafe.

Thanks!
-Rich
Jasonian
Jasonian
Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Jun 30, 2006, 11:08pm

richedie Said:

So is this EvaSol one of the best ways to make coffee in the home? I have been on the hunt for a vacuum or the Krups Moka Brew but this Eva gets amazing reviews!

My goal is always to get the most taste out of coffee and from the reviews, the Eva is unmatched other than espresso. The main review on the site talks about total immersion of the grounds and this and a press would be it, correct? What about vacuum or moka pot? If the Krups or Moka won't get me to coffee heaven, I may as well just get an Eva and be done with it.

Bottom line for me is an easy way to make a brew in the morning where I can pour it into a thermal carafe and have it last for up to an hour. I assume the Eva still produces the sediment as found in a french Press? My Tirra supposedly doesn't produce as much as a press but I haven't used it yet.

I assume the coffee from the Eva is still drinkable if transferred to a carafe.

Thanks!
-Rich

Posted June 23, 2006 link

For coffee nirvana, save your money and invest in a Cona vacuum brewer.  You won't be sorry.

www.AJCoffeeCo.com - www.espressotrainer.com - www.TX-Coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
richedie

Posted Sat Jul 1, 2006, 4:04am

Is the Cona that much better than other methods and other vacuums? I hear the Eva Solo is king these days...I get confused because many local roasters say to stick with presses and manual drips.
meliss

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2006, 2:51pm
Subject: Found this coffee maker online...and they ship to canada

This great site, www.totalhomestore.ca sells the Eva Solo Cafe Solo, not only was it reasonably priced, at the regular $100 (plus change) dollars, it is also available in 1/2 liter and 1 liter models, so I bought both!! I am from a smaller rural community and can't find any nice items in our local stores, so i was so impressed when I placed my order with Total Home Store and received my package only 12 days later and didn't have to worry about charges at the door, they use this system that calculates the duty on ordering.

All in all I was really impressed, and would like to pass this info on to any small town coffee lover that doesn't get the chance to go shopping in the big city to often.

Cheers!

if you want to check it out, click here
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Eva Solo Cafe...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242909908295)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+