Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Podcast Feedback
CG Podcast 010 - Restaurant Coffee, Port Talk and Emails
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > CG Podcasts > CG Podcast 010 -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Jul 24, 2005, 9:00pm
Subject: CG Podcast 010 - Restaurant Coffee, Port Talk and Emails

Hey folks. CGP 010 is online!

Details:

15mb, 53mins. 40 kbps bitrate, 44.1Hz sample rate, mono channel.

Questions or comments podcast@coffeegeek.com or call toll free and leave an audio question at 1-800-332-9477.

Take your pick on how to listen:

RSS Feed link for subscribing, or

CG Podcast 010 MP3 File  for straight downloading.

Apple iTunes direct link.

Show Notes

- No roundtable again. It's a bitch to edit.
- Discussion on Restaurant Coffee, and how the best restaurant in the US (French Laundry - website) doesn't even "get it", serving illy pod espresso.
- Suggestion that somelliers at fine dining establishments learn about high end coffee and espresso, take advanced barista training courses, and add it to their repetoire.
- Talk about port wine, and how it is the "espresso" of the booze world (apologies to whiskey and wine drinkers).
- Mark's picks on the best bargains in port wine right now
- Listener emails answered:
 - How to know you're getting a good shot of espresso in a cafe
 - How important the quality of espresso is in milk drinks
 - More on ristretto as a "crutch" drink
 - Coffee brewers for the physically disabled.

Enjoy folks! Next wednesday, news with Jeanette Chan and maybe a round table ;)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Athos
Athos
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jul 25, 2005, 4:51pm
Subject: Re: CG Podcast 010 - Restaurant Coffee, Port Talk and Emails

Hmm. I dunno if i liked this one. Mainly because it wasn't about coffee. But i think its ok to go off topic every 10 or 15 shows, you are right. You're a very smart guy, Mark. You know too much stuff.
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Jul 25, 2005, 5:08pm

Athos Said:

Hmm. I dunno if i liked this one. Mainly because it wasn't about coffee. But i think its ok to go off topic every 10 or 15 shows, you are right. You're a very smart guy, Mark. You know too much stuff.

Posted July 25, 2005 link

No, I'm not that smart... esp. about port ;) I'm hoping that the current owner of Taylor Fladgate, Fonseca, and about 30 other vineyards and wineries is going to do an email writeup (or audio interview with me), where he's going to correct some of the stuff I was saying in this one :D

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Jul 25, 2005, 5:11pm

BTW Darcy, thanks for signing on, and welcome! I noted your age... it gave me an idea about doing a show directed at people under 18 who may enjoy coffee and espresso. We have more than a few members on CG who are under that age (and as young as 14 or even 13!), and my thought is, espresso is no worse, and possibly a better choice for teens than soft drinks are, vis a vis the caffeine levels and especially the sugar content. I'm not so sure about brewed coffee though.

What do you think? Interested in a phone interview? ;) I think we'd have to get your parents' permission tho, if you are under 18...

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
CafeOrganica

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: LM 3g, LaCimbali M29select...
Grinder: 2 Mazzer Maj, 2 Mazzer SJ
Posted Mon Jul 25, 2005, 5:26pm

so whats it take to get attention at the french laundry I say CG sponsers a CG dinner at French Laundry and umm... we have our wonderful meals... order coffee after and send it all back... hip hip horray!!!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Jul 25, 2005, 6:05pm

Sure - anyone got $175 per person... ;)

oh, PLUS the demanded 19% gratuity.

That in itself will make me never visit the French Laundry. I have serious issues with places that demand (or place on the bill) the gratuity. The gratuity is just that - a gratuity, and at the discretion of the customer. I tip healthy when service is good (I also rave about it to friends and family). Conversely, I tip low or not at all if the service is bad or lacking - and usually write the reason why on the credit card slip.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
scooterboy
scooterboy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: silvia no-mods; L7 plumbed
Grinder: mazzer mini-T; mini-E
Vac Pot: bialetti brika
Drip: braun electronic
Roaster: none yet; maybe one day
Posted Mon Jul 25, 2005, 6:53pm

Mark

I am a bit uncertain how to respond to Podcast 10.  Frankly i think that you have done a great disservice to Jeannette!  Let's face it you rudely stopped her from telling us about turkish shepherds on the basis that it 'wasn't about coffee' and that the show wasn't 'sheep-geek'.  on this podcast you went off-topic in such a big way.  i mean, this ain't fortified-wine-geek, is it?  What sort of totalitarian regime are you running here with your whole 'i set up cg so that the whole coffee loving community could learn from and help each other' which sounds so touchy-feely and then you hijack the pod-cast for your own evil ends.  I'm starting to think that you are some sort of megalomaniac - maybe you should try out for the next james bond movie.

regards

paris
Dasein

Espresso: Synesso 3 grp
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E, Kony E,...
Vac Pot: Yama & Hario etc...
Drip: Clover 1s, Press Pots, Hario...
Roaster: Probat L12, Probatino,...
Posted Mon Jul 25, 2005, 7:44pm

Maybe Jakethecoffeelover should host a segment --- he'd be good to reach out to the young coffee crowd.  I vote for a jake interview -- maybe cup some of his home roast live.  Might also be cool to pair him up with Sanders.... get a young home roaster  sit down with an old pro.  That might be real fun.... dual cuppings with live on-air cupping notes.
espressoDOM
espressoDOM
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Mon Jul 25, 2005, 7:53pm

scooterboy Said:

Mark

I am a bit uncertain how to respond to Podcast 10.  Frankly i think that you have done a great disservice to Jeannette!  Let's face it you rudely stopped her from telling us about turkish shepherds on the basis that it 'wasn't about coffee' and that the show wasn't 'sheep-geek'.  on this podcast you went off-topic in such a big way.  i mean, this ain't fortified-wine-geek, is it?  What sort of totalitarian regime are you running here with your whole 'i set up cg so that the whole coffee loving community could learn from and help each other' which sounds so touchy-feely and then you hijack the pod-cast for your own evil ends.  I'm starting to think that you are some sort of megalomaniac - maybe you should try out for the next james bond movie.

regards

paris

Posted July 25, 2005 link

YESSSSSSS... I cloud their minds with coffee first... STEP 1 YESSSS.... then ...then.... ONCE I have reeled them in with coffee....hehehehehe

We will talk watches...and yes yes.... ice wine...mmm (ugh) .... we will finish it up with ...mmmmm (dSLR forum talk )  YESSSSS.....  I OWN YOU ALLL.... I am the EVIL ONE.... MARK PRINCE.... YOU WILL OBEY... BUY SUPER AUTOMATICS....BUY SUPER AUTOMATICS...BUY SUPER AUTOMATICS....BUY SUPER AUTOMATICS...BUY SUPER AUTOMATICS....BUY SUPER AUTOMATICS...mwuhaahhahahahahahahaha (END TRANSMISSION)

ps.... wine talk just further cemented you at the head of the GEEK class my friend...WOW you LOST me for about 20 minutes in that podcast....

but

of course I love your audio podcasts much more than your writing ...maybe because it is more frequent....

Keep up the podcasts... DUDE

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
snoboy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: famous Silvia... now PID
Grinder: modded Rocky SD
Roaster: SC/CO
Posted Mon Jul 25, 2005, 9:16pm

I liked it, for the most part.

1st - the bad bits.

I don't tune in to your podcast to hear about why you haven't got your reviews up online, or why you can't get the roundtable edited, or other "whyning." I would love to hear more about coffee, machines, coffee people, even the occasional foray into other of you interests, but I don't really care much for the Hows and Whys of podcasting. If I did I would look for the podcastgeekcast... I think this might have been part of the reason I found the whole 1001 takes of Beata a bit annoying as well.

I am jonesing for another roundtable! Please get things figured out soon! I assume you need something like multiple channel recording, and that I assume costs money... I hope you get it figured out soon!

2nd - the good bits.

I support the idea of random OT 'casts. I thought your port wine talk was interesting. I can see a vague relation to coffee, ie fine foods, flavours, etc. One thing I like about online forums is the fact that they bring together people who have one common interest, but many uncommon ones. Sometimes you find out about something that you had no idea would interest you, and that's part of the beauty of the internet.

Congratulations on reaching such a wide audience. That is pretty amazing.

You know who I would like you to interview? The owner (founder?) of JJ Bean - if I have it right, they have a long family history in the Vancouver coffee business, and I think that might make an intersting story.

edit-Oh! your front page (coffeegeek.com) is falling way behind.../edit
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > CG Podcasts > CG Podcast 010 -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275974988937)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+