Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Vietnamese Iced Coffee
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Vietnamese Iced...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kopidrinker

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: SS Saeco Aroma w/ NPPF
Grinder: Compak K5, Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta 10 cup manual,...
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 10:25am
Subject: Re: Vietnamese Iced Coffee

Using Trung Nguyen coffee and a pressurized portafilter, the result is very good.
 View Profile Link to this post
Keurig

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 6:55am

Oh I would love to try this! :o
CafeSuda
CafeSuda
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 3:09pm

What's the grind on this or should I just buy Trung Nguyen coffee
blueskies145

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: barista athena
Grinder: blade
Vac Pot: moka pot
Drip: french press
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 8:43am

I did not realize what this was when I bought it in a thrift store recently! I thought it was a coffee maker for camping or on-the-go! Thanks for this article! I purchased some Thai Iced Coffee at a donut place a year ago and thought it was great. I tried to replicate it, but without much success.  Now with your recipe, I can make it myself! Thank you for the great info!
brevel_monkey

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 3:24am

Good guide, but as someone who lived in VN for a long time, I can tell you that this article missed a few tricks.  This guide constructs the coffee similar to how it is constructed in the 'upmarket' coffee vendors in Vietnam, such as Highlands Coffee. But I (and most people in Vietnam!) think its much better made how it is made by the street vendors.

Firstly, the ice should be crushed, not whole cubes.  This allows more ice per glass, a c ph sua d is normally a small amount of coffee along with enough ice so that it fills a tall glass.  This stops the ice from melting into the coffee, otherwise you get coffee water!  It also keeps it icy cold for a longer time. You can easily crush ice by putting it in a sandwich bag and bashing it with a heavy frying pan, or giving it 3-5 seconds in a good quality blender (it might damage a cheaper blender).

Secondly, it's normal to brew the coffee in advance, rather than brew then ice straight away.  Most vendors keep it in a plastic bottle and only use it when its gone cold.  Again, this stops the ice from melting.  When you add ice to hot coffee, you get cool, coffee flavored water. If you start with cold coffee, you get an ice cold, intense drink!

So, I would reccomend pre-brewing enough coffee for a few days and storing it in the fridge.  To construct the drink, they normally put condensed milk in the bottom of a tall glass or cup, then add about shot of coffee and swirl it around (without stirring, so a lot of it remains stuck to the bottom).  Then they fill the glass with ice to the brim before finally adding a second shot of coffee on top.  It should create a very strong, intense coffee, like a bittersweet espresso.

Thirdly, it is often best drank through a straw, because of the crushed ice (and the potential effects of condensed milk and coffee on your pearly white teeth!), although this isn't necessary.

Finally, you have been for too harsh on Vietnamese coffee beans, which are indeed intense but no where near unpleasant. Trung Nguyen is the No.1 brand of coffee in Vietnam and they sell their 'S' blend coffee (the standard robusta bean) internationally at reasonable prices on their website or at a lot of Asian stores.  If you make this with other coffee beans, it's going to be too sweet and the condensed milk is going to dominate, even if you only use a little. I would never make a sua d without Vietnamese beans, ever!
KLIX

Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 8:29am

Headcrowny I have done something very similar before... It definitely pays to follow a real recipe, I'd say. The Vietnamese Iced Coffee how-to video is great,  my refrigerator crushes ice for me which makes these even easier to prepare.

Richard Woods
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Flori

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 9:29pm

Thanks for this recipe. Will definitely try this at home.

Flori
Blogger, Coffeeloversofworld.com
Elliottok

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler 920XL;...
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh; Compak K3...
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 1:44pm

Good article, but I'd like to add some things.

First, let me say that I love Vietnamese iced coffee - I usually drink one every day after my lunch. I've made it almost every way you can imagine: phin filter, aeropress, gourmet beans, Vietnamese beans, etc.

Brewing: By far, my favorite way to brew this style coffee is with the aeropress. Phin filter works just fine, but I usually get a better flavor from the aeropress.

Beans: The beans are probably a little more subjective. Honestly, I don't prefer one type of bean over the other. Different beans add a different flavor - not better or worse, just different. I often switch it up. There's no doubt that gourmet beans make a very smooth a great tasting Vietnamese Iced Coffee. As long as you use a darker roast, it shouldn't be too sweet. However, it will be smoother than if you use Vietnamese beans. Some might think this is more pleasing. Regardless, the end product is wonderfully rich and satisfying.

Vietnamese beans have a very distinct and unique aroma and flavor. There's no mistaking it. This comes from the way the Vietnamese roast their beans. In Vietnam, the green beans are pre-soaked in water prior to roasting. Then, during roasting, they are slow rolled in what is generally called "butter oil." Additionally, many roasters will often add a small amount of sugar during the roasting process. This creates a thin shell around the roasted beans called "brickle." This is why whole Vietnamese beans have a shiny coating. It's also what gives Vietnamese beans their distinctive taste and smell. As a result of all of this, Vietnamese coffee has a slight caramel corn flavor.  That's the best way I can describe it, anyway.  It's not overwhelming - to the contrary, it's subtle and quite pleasant. So when you make a Vietnamese iced coffee with Vietnamese beans, you get a more distinct flavor due to the roasting process. This is the "real thing," and is the flavor that experienced VIC drinkers will expect.

The article is right that chicory should never be used. You might find it used in some Vietnamese restaurants in the U.S., but in Vietnam it is never made with chicory. Iced coffee with chicory, sugar, and milk is a *New Orleans Iced Coffee*, not a Vietnamese Iced Coffee.

I'll also add that if you're interested in using whole Vietnamese beans, or buying a phin filter, they can be purchased for a reasonable price from www.vietnamese-coffee.com. I usually buy Trung Nguyen Creative One. As the website says, it's great for iced drinks.
PureBeanBrew
PureBeanBrew

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 8:41pm

Wonderful and detailed article. Thanks Mark! I've referred to your article in my blog. Click Here (purebeanbrew.com)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
anthaicafe
anthaicafe

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 8:48pm

Thank you so much for your interesting post. I am Vietnamese girl and I love Ca phe sua da too. I wish Vietnamese coffee could travel around the world as much as possible. I am grateful of what you have done for this post. The popular image you can see every early morning in Vietnam is men with newspapers sitting in coffee-shops from the pavements to luxury places. I love Vietnamese coffee culture. I wish to have opportunities to enjoy coffee cultures in other countries. I bet they are interesting too.

anthaicafe: untitled.png
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Vietnamese Iced...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.227823019028)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+