Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Use a Press Pot
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 11 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Marky_Coffee

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Feb 25, 2011, 7:41pm
Subject: Re: How to Use a Press Pot

In Australia , you can find Coffee Bean Vacuum at www.beanvac.com.au
 View Profile Link to this post
FrenchPresser

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 9:10am

You do not want to use boiling water.  I would suggest bringing water to a boil and then letting cool for a few minutes.

Bodum French Press
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
KingV911

Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 9:13am

FrenchPresser Said:

You do not want to use boiling water.  I would suggest bringing water to a boil and then letting cool for a few minutes.

Bodum French Press

Posted February 27, 2011 link

Two minutes is a bit much, the water would be far too cool.  If you don't have a thermometer just use the general rule of 10-20 seconds off the boil.  In the average scenario that will leave the water at around 195-200F, which is what you want for french press.
JTD121

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2011, 12:47pm

Hey guys, first time poster. Just read this article after buying a grinder and press pot from Amazon. Still waiting, actually (free shipping, don'tcha know).

Anyway, at the bottom of this How-To, there is an area that says 'Now onto pictures', basically a visual guide.

Only.....there's no pictures, just the text I assume accompanies them.

-Josh
JTD121

Posted Wed Apr 6, 2011, 6:26pm

Hey guys. Nevermind, apparently AdBlock Plus blocks them as ads.....Weird. I have since disabled it on this site!

-Josh
TheEdgeOfCoffee

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011, 10:59pm

Freshness
Coffee has a short shelf life. We recommend drinking coffee no more than 30 days after it is roasted. Many roasters suggest that vacuum packaging and proper storing will allow coffee to be consumed without freshness loss for up to a year. However, we feel that coffee loses its flavor much more quickly. Thus, we suggest buying only what you will drink or giveaway in a month.
How can you tell if a coffee is fresh?
Coffee in bags should be dated. If it doesn’t have a “born on date” or an expiration date that comes up, then the roaster isn’t paying much attention to freshness.
Bulk coffee can also be judged for freshness. Coffee contains natural oils. In dark roasted coffee, these oils come to the surface right away. In lighter roasted coffees, these oils take a few days to appear. Thus, only buy dark-roasted coffee that is oily and light-roasted coffee that is dry.
Buy whole bean - We also suggest only buying whole bean coffee. We’re happy to grind your coffee. However, we strongly recommend using this ground coffee within three days.
Coffee contains natural gasses. These gasses slowly escape from the beans. Most specialty roasters package beans in bags with one-way valves. This allows the gasses to escape while keeping out the air that would destroy the beans. If fresh coffee were to be put in air tight bags without one-way valves, the escaping gasses would blow the bag or can apart. Grinding coffee removes all the gasses and exposes the beans to lots of air thus you want to get the freshest ground coffee.
There is only one good argument for buying ground coffee — and this only applies to buying coffee that is ground to order (if it’s already ground, it’s already stale). Only commercial grinders can uniformly grind coffee.  Your home grinder may produce some large and some small grind particles.  A more uniform grind will produce a better cup.  However, this small case for having your local roaster grind your coffee doesn’t outweigh the freshness factor.
Storage – Coffee’s three worst enemies (not including big corporations who can’t possibly control quality) are light, air and moisture. The longer coffee is exposed to air, light or moisture, the quicker it will go stale. Therefore, always store coffee in an air tight container that blocks the light.
If the coffee is going to be drunk within three weeks, the airtight container on your counter is all you need. If you are going to store the beans for longer than three weeks, then we’d suggest putting the airtight container in the freezer. Warning: moisture is coffee’s enemy. Therefore, put the container right back in the freezer after taking out the beans you need for that day. Don’t let the beans thaw while you go through your morning breakfast ritual.  If you do, moisture will ruin the beans.
Grinding – We highly recommend grinding your coffee immediately before brewing. As we said, grinding makes coffee go stale faster. Go ahead and invest $20 or so for a half-way decent grinder. Grind according to machine’s instructions. The better the grinder the more consistent in size will be coffee particles.
Brewing – There are so many ways to brew coffee that we couldn’t possibly get into all of them. We’ll just say that DON’T EVER USE A PERCULATOR. Use a brewer that only lets the water go through the ground coffee once. Or use a French press.
However you brew, start with two tablespoons of ground coffee per eight ounces of brewed coffee. Adjust proportion NOT THE GRIND according to taste.
Use good, fresh cold water. Coffee is 98% water. Thus, if you don’t like the taste of your water you won’t like the taste of the coffee.

If you have any questions or comments you can email me at bkedgmon@rocketmail.com
Kaydee

Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 5:09am

Hi,
Loved your article. My friend also uses the chopsticks trick.
I purchased a Bodum burr coffee grinder. Have not received it yet, but was wondering what setting do you use for the press? It has 14 grind settings.
ozmotion

Expertise: Just starting
Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011, 6:02pm

I liked the article. I hate instructions that specify amounts of coffee in tablespoons, since it leaves so much variation. But then you must adjust to personal taste anyway so I guess it doesn't matter in the end.

I end up using about 8g per 4oz for boldly roasted coffees (sumatra is my fave) - I like it strong, but easing up a little on the concentration lets the flavor come out a bit more.

Pre-heating all vessels your water comes in contact with - the press pot, your coffee mug - helps maintain proper brewing temperature, and desirable serving temperature.

BTW, I strongly disagree with the comment above discouraging the use of percolator brews. It matters not how many times water "passes through", only how long and at what temperatures, in total.
haleymcadams1
haleymcadams1

Posted Wed Jan 4, 2012, 6:27am

Really a nice article because you've included pictures on how to use it. It's definitely a great article.
Gig103

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:22am

I was wondering if people always heat water in a different container and pour the water over the beans? At work, I generally heat the water in my Bodum 4 cup using the microwave, and then stir in the grounds. Would it be worthwhile to get an electric kettle or just a different container to heat water in?
showing page 11 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.218500852585)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+