Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Vietnamese Iced Coffee
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Vietnamese Iced...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Aug 6, 2011, 12:00am
Subject: Vietnamese Iced Coffee

Vietnamese Iced Coffee How To

Our summer swelter series continues, this time showing you how to brew Vietnamese Iced coffee with nods to the traditions, and to specialty coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
KevinJ

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sat Aug 6, 2011, 9:44pm
Subject: Re: Vietnamese Iced Coffee

Thanks for the article.  My father-in-law makes one every morning.  Since I started with espresso I haven't given it a try since.  Maybe after the next grocery stores run.  Thanks for "geek" perspective.  I believe it is ca phe sua da (ca phe sue dah phonetically), though.  Typically in restaurants it is watered down and a great summer beverage.
 View Profile Link to this post
headcrowny
headcrowny
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac (now dead), La...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Aerobie Coffee machine
Drip: Ibik, French Press
Posted Sun Aug 7, 2011, 5:52am

I remember the first time I tried to make Thai iced coffee. I figured the white stuff was coconut cream and simply mixed espresso, sugar and coconut cream and poured over ice. Delicious? NO! Ugh, that was terrible!

Then I googled it. I've since found that simply pulling a nice intense shot of espresso and mixing with condensed milk is all I really need. (And pouring over ice, of course). It's very fast and tastes, to me, just about the same.
firedog

Espresso: Marlinc One Group Electronic...
Grinder: Iberital
Roaster: HWP
Posted Mon Aug 8, 2011, 5:25am

Don't have a Vietnamese coffeemaker, so I made something with condensed milk, a double espresso, some added water, and ice. Was quite good.
kopidrinker

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: SS Saeco Aroma w/ NPPF
Grinder: Compak K5, Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta 10 cup manual,...
Posted Mon Aug 8, 2011, 10:45pm

This can also be made using an espresso maker with a pressurized portafilter. Might be blasphemy for some, but I like using Vietnamese Coffee for this, robusta or not. Unfortunately, most are preground, and too coarse for a proper 25 second extraction. Here's one of the few circumstances the PPF actually comes in handy. Pull a shot over condensed milk in a cup, and I swear it tastes just like those from Vietnamese Restaurants. Now all that's missing is the Pho.
bpt

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Fri Aug 12, 2011, 5:50pm

To break down the words, da = ice and the sua =  milk (in this case, the sweetened condensed milk).  So just ca phe da would be iced black coffee and ca phe sua (da) will get you the full on caffeinated sugar bomb (on ice).  Many places you will give a thermos of hot water on the side to adjust it to your taste if it is too strong.  I think that the ice does that job just fine for me.
jitterytom

Espresso: Yup
Grinder: Yup
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: Nope
Posted Mon Aug 22, 2011, 8:26am

Perhaps a little sweet for me this one - but it might work as a nice late afternoon drink for some of my friends.

Keep the summer swelter series going too - the whether isn't sweltering here, but the coffee sure is interesting!

------------------------------------------------------

Dosing Tanks
tpham

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2011, 7:42am

The best Vietnamese coffee I've ever had was on top of a Vietnamese mountain, in a tiny "town" built for the few mountain people that lived there.

Also, try a Vietnamese Au Lait from Sweetwaters if you want something a little more commercial (or easier to access :P).
tinks
tinks

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011, 8:34pm

Thank you! I read this article and wanted something for my daughter and I. We have a cup of espresso every morning (decaf for her). In the afternoons, I started to make this. Typical blasphemy...espresso (actually a ristretto shot) and then the sweetened condensed milk and crushed ice from our fridge. Something we look forward to in our afternoons now too! Again, many thanks!
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011, 8:55pm

Hi Tinks and everyone else.

Thanks for the feedback - glad to hear so many people enjoying this article and the brewing method (or variations thereof).

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Vietnamese Iced...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.250823020935)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+