Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Vietnamese Iced Coffee
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Vietnamese Iced...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
uNdErFiRe

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 10, 2011, 5:03pm
Subject: Re: Vietnamese Iced Coffee

i should definetely try this.. looks delicious..
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
blu_jhai

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Dec 30, 2011, 9:31am

May I just say this about that..

I have been drinking Vietnamese coffee for years...Used to work in a small Vietnamese resto and so learned quite well how to do it. However, contrary to what you wrote, The authentic Vietnamese coffee blend that we used, does in fact have Chicory in it and I can't imagine savoring the flavor of either the Iced or Hot coffee not having that flavor...It is what makes it so delectably delicious..!!
 View Profile Link to this post
haleymcadams1
haleymcadams1

Posted Wed Jan 4, 2012, 6:25am

Haven't tasted a Vietnamese Iced Coffee. Might try this one someday. Thanks for sharing.
deleted

Expertise:

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012, 5:02pm

I have to disagree with part of this guide, being a massive Vietnamese iced coffee lover!

Substituting the Vietnamese coffee blends with standard espresso/arabica beans will only give you a result that is quite good/not bad/something a bit different. I first tried Viet ice coffee in Vietnam and was utterly hooked by the taste. The super bitter + super sweet combo is pure crack! I tried to recreate it back home by doing what you've done, using arabica coffee + condensed milk, but something was a bit off. I thought maybe it was the roast levels or the type of condensed milk, but it was neither. The key is the Nam blend! There is an unmistakable after taste and twang (I don't know how to describe tastes other than "awesome") you get with the right beans. Unless they leave ingredients off the packet (not legal here), its 100% robusta.

I urge people to find the right Trung Nguyen or equivalent coffee to try it properly, its a completely different experience! However, it is so good I think you also need to include a warning due to the inevitable sudden increase in sugar intake that will follow.

Thanks for the guide, really enjoyed it.

Cheers!
Jay
sancho240

Espresso: Rocket Cellini
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012, 3:39pm

I've used Cafe Du Monde for my vietnamese coffee, but wondering if there is a significant difference if I use Trung Nguyen ground?
Dainty

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 3:06am

Thank you so much for this. I love Cafe Sua Da, have travelled Vietnam and brought home several Phin. But never found a western guide staying true to the rich Vietnamese tradition behind. Love it! Haven't used my Phins in ages but you inspired me to start again. My sister resently brought home a bag of the bitter dark old readi-grind coffee from Vietnam for me. I want it that way :-D

When you buy ground coffee in Vietnam it has a distinct sweet smell to it. Almost like something has been added to it. Does anyone know where that come from?
Dainty

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 3:09am

I have bought this brand primarily: Click Here (www.trung-nguyen-online.com)

(Could be faked though - it's Vietnam)

Here in Europe the easiest and cheapest way by far to get condensed milk is in the Arab, Turkish etc immigrant stores.
IslandGecko
IslandGecko
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 2:58pm

I'm from Hawaii Nei - You can find this beverage at almost every cafe - Including major mainland owned chains - Though we call it "Thai coffee"...it may not be on the menu at most corporate places - but it is available.
    Local people in the islands love this drink iced. :]
Niels

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 3:01am

Ever since I went to Vietnam, I've wanted to have another of those wonderful Vietnamese Iced Coffees. I asked our Vietnamese Easy Rider for the recipe and he gave me the following:

First, put the coffee in coffee box, more than half , than put alittle boitling water, a few seconds than full water in , when it finish , get out , put suger or milk , than ice at the end .
Take care

But obviously this did not really do the trick for me...

So after more than 2 years i found this "recipe", but had one problem... The Phin... its impossible to buy one in my country (The Netherlands) and the ones i found online in the UK cant be send to The Netherlands... But yesterday, all the way from Japan, one arrived... and this morning I tried to make one myself... I used 14 grams of freshly ground Dark Roast coffee, a little bit of sweetened condensed milk and ice cubes. It took me 10 mins before the coffee was ready, so i dont think i can use 14 grams, but have to do it with 12 i suppose...
However, the Vietnamese Iced Coffee tasted extremely well and (believe it or not) brought back memories of the times we had a Vietnamese Iced Coffee down the road to Ho Chi Minh City.

Thanks a lot for the recipe... I will look for Vietnamese coffee they  seem to use (which is, btw, sweetened by itself already... at least the ones i bought over there long ago).
Niels

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 3:06am

I've been to the coffee plantations in Vietnam and they told me that they roast the beans extremely slow, in a way that the oils and sugars wont burn. This is why their coffee tastes sweeter than the ones we know.

I've only recently bought myself a Phin, which was extremely difficult.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Vietnamese Iced...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.209568977356)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+