Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Aeropress Iced Coffee
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Aeropress Iced...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Aug 3, 2011, 12:00am
Subject: Aeropress Iced Coffee

Aeropress Iced Coffee

A great (and fast) way to make a nice cold brew of coffee while under a budget - using the under $30 Aeropress coffee maker to make iced coffee with the Aeropress.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frankns
frankns
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Krups Moka, Capresso Ultima
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Capresso Aroma
Roaster: Still thinking ...
Posted Wed Aug 3, 2011, 4:39am
Subject: Re: Aeropress Cold Brew Coffee

Great article ... good to see these tips all in one place.  Love the inverted brewing.

Could we get a rough approximation in ounces, tablespoons, or something non-metric.  Be a great help

Frank
http://chicagohearts.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
nilsvik

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Bialetti...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky w/ Doser,...
Drip: Hario V60, Aeropress, Chemex
Posted Wed Aug 3, 2011, 5:46am

Thanks for the article! Very nice photos and well detailed as usual.

I was curious about the semantics: I was under the impression that the term "cold brew" suggested brewing coffee with cold or room temperature water, whereas this recipe is technically "iced coffee" ?

Have you experimented with multiple hour brews in the aeropress with room temperature water?

Either way, can't wait to try this out!
headcrowny
headcrowny

Espresso: Isomac (now dead), La...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Aerobie Coffee machine
Drip: Ibik, French Press
Posted Wed Aug 3, 2011, 5:53am

Hmmm. Maybe I should pull my aeropress off the shelf. I have to admit that, after a flurry of use, it's been sitting and I've simply been using my Valentina. Also must agree with the comments about cold-brew. This seems to be a hot brew into a cold container.
julienj

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2011, 9:33am

Sorry I am going to be off-topic here. Just a question for Mark. I wanted to ask your opinion on the value of some apparently rare Illy cups I got recently. I tried your coffeegeek email address without success. Any other way to reach you without creating a post?

Thanks,
Julien.
ericphilly
ericphilly
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Roaster: Hearthware I-Roast
Posted Wed Aug 3, 2011, 12:33pm

Nice article - the Aeropress is a wonderfully useful device, and I use it almost daily. Your comment: "Why would you sweeten any cup of coffee?" finally got me to post a reply, after seeing this debated often in the forums. Just to preface my comments, I will say that I have been home roasting for years, and am completely familiar with various origins, types, and roast levels. I am experienced with espresso and with other methods of preparation. The issue is, simply, that I am quite sensitive to bitterness, and coffee - no matter how it is roasted or prepared - is bitter and unbalanced. Sugar brings all of the flavor elements into alignment and transforms it completely. The situation is exactly the same with chocolate - a complex flavor that is much improved with sweetening. Unsweetened chocolate or cocoa is unpalatable. I have often seen it commented, regarding a particular coffee or espresso, that "there was no bitterness at all." For me, that is not possible. This extends to other foods that might be bitter. 1/4 of the population are 'supertasters' - those with a higher than usual number of taste buds. This is not always an asset, since it can result in exaggerated and skewed taste perceptions. Another 1/2 of the population have an average perception of taste, and 1/4 are 'hypotasters', who have a relative deficiency in taste detection and discrimination. Keep in mind that taste is not the same as flavor (taste + olfaction). It may be, that among coffee drinkers who reject sugar, that a disproportionate number are hypotasters, and relatively few are supertasters. This would not be hard to study, and someone should undertake to do this, since it would be useful information.

Before anyone starts to type a message criticizing the above, keep in mind that the chemical senses (taste and smell) are highly individual, and extremely variable. This can be demonstrated objectively using chemical taste tests. I have seen many posts stating that coffee should not have sugar added, and the writers of these posts often take a superior position. Those who prefer sugar generally don't seem to look down upon those who don't use it. In summary, for many serious coffee drinkers, the only way to drink it is with sugar, and this does not indicate a lack of sophistication with regard to appreciating subtleties of flavor; it is a difference in physiology and perception, much of which is genetically determined.
MarkPrince

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2011, 1:38pm

Hi folks. Thanks for the feedback so far.

On semantics - I was keenly aware, when writing it, that some would get confused by "cold brewed coffee". But this is a cold, brewed coffee ;) In other words, it is a brewed coffee that you drink cold. I worked around with the wording a bit yesterday afternoon, and found the apostrophe screwed with the flow of the sentences and might confuse some, so I removed it. I considered "iced coffee", "iced brewed coffee" and "brewed coffee served cold" but again, they either didn't work in some cases or screwed up the flow of the sentences.

On sugar - all brewed coffee has some level of bitters. For many people, there are good bitters and bad bitters. I think when coffee people say "it had no bitterness at all", they are probably (mistakenly) isolating on what they consider bad bitters. According to the SCAA / WBC test I did, I'm apparently a super taster, but I'm not personally (over)affected by bitter substances or elements in food or drink, though I can spot them a mile away.

I do notice the impact of sweetness at different temperatures. There seems to be a wave in the perception curve for me:

At 180F - some sweets hard to perceive (in very minute amounts, say 1-2ml slurped in a cupping spoon, cools rapidly)
At 160-170F (edge of my ability to hold a hot liquid in my mouth at small amounts) I can perceive sweets much better
At 120-140F - sweetness in coffee and espresso is probably at its zenith in terms of perceived taste.
At 90-100F - can perceive max sweetness in milk. Once it is hotter than this, the lactose is burned off (mainly talking about milk foam here)
At 90-120F - can perceive sweetness in brewed coffee and espresso, but not as well as at hotter temps.
At 70F (room temperature), sweets seem to turn to sours for me in brewed coffee and espresso
At 40F (warmer end of refrigerator temperatures), very difficult to perceive any sweetness in brewed coffee that was brewed hot; can still perceive lots of sweets in low-acid brewing methods like toddy and ice-drip.
At 35F (serving temps with ice) cannot perceive sweetness in coffee brewed traditionally - and get less in low-acid brewing methods.

Anyone else notice this?

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Wed Aug 3, 2011, 10:10pm

Mark I love this succinct write up and amazing photos of the process.  Sadly I wished you would have included WEIGHT for water used.  I tend to weigh everything these days as its more accurate in my opinion.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
MarkPrince

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2011, 11:53pm

I did use weight for all the water measurements - in grams?

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 4, 2011, 5:40am
Subject: ...

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Aeropress Iced...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.228108882904)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+