Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Using a Siphon Coffee Maker
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Using a Siphon...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 16 of 16 first page previous page
Author Messages
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 11:34pm
Subject: Re: Using a Siphon Coffee Maker

Put it all in water in a bowl, and keep the bowl in a frige.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 6:22am

Need more places to do this. It's almost like coffee and a show if it is done right, and you are a bit of a pyro (even though no one uses fire anymore)

I grew up with this being how my aunt made coffee, on the stove, instead of a peculator (dates me huh?) She swore by it. I remember being totally facinated watching it.

It's on my list for next time I get a serious hard on to clean up space in my kitchen.

Now come teach the new localish guy how to do it right ;)

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
avraptorhal

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby
Grinder: Compak K2 Touch
Drip: single cup cone
Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014, 11:35am

I hate to feel like a dinosaur but when we first set up housekeeping the coffee lovers brewing method of choice was the glass Silex brewer. We used it until  it got broken. It had the original glass rod filter. I remember watching it brew and wondering how the filter worked. I finally realized that the bumpy surface of the bulge in the middle of the filter was designed to selectively allow water (coffee) to return to the bottom container while holding back the grounds. After the glass one broke we got an aluminum siphon brewer. Actually the siphon brewer and the percolator were the only two ways to brew coffee available to the average homemaker at that time (1950's).  Then the Corning percolator came along until the safety concern about the adhesion of the handle to the rest of the pot killed it.

Then the automatic drip brewer exploded on to the scene and both the siphon (Actually the siphon was called the Silex by everybody) and the percolator declined. The percolator was relegated to the camper and backpacker as it is being used today.

It must be understood that there was no Internet, I'm not even sure anybody knew what a computer was. It was still  before the handheld calculator so word of mouth or newspaper, magazines and radio were the only ways to spread information on life style considerations.

Just goes to prove everything old becomes new again.
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014, 2:29pm

Yup - everything comes round again as you say.

Now that art deco items have become so expensive, Mid Century Modern is the in thing, so stuff like percolators and syphon brewers from the 50's and 60's are right in there to match with the Eames and Arne Jacobsen furniture and re-published retro designs of the same era.

Personal favourites are the Cona Rex models (difficult to get hold of now, but I've managed to scalp a few) and the fabulous Glass percolator from Procter Silex that has the lights underneath - 1950's equivalent of the LED's you find in almost everything these days.

I think you'll find that the brewing method of choice for many coffee lovers remains a glass syphon - and the others probably haven't tried it yet.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 16 of 16 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Using a Siphon...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.165443181992)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+