Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Use a Press Pot
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kim30

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 26, 2009, 4:43pm
Subject: Re: How to Use a Press Pot

Hey this was great. Thanks a lot for the guide. I just got a press pot and I am tryng to master the art of making a great cup of coffee! The photos were great. Thanks ! i am going to go right ahead and try making a pot of coffee
 View Profile Link to this post
jemremyc

Posted Sun Sep 20, 2009, 12:54pm

I just bought my first press pot, and, while this article was helpful, I'm still encountering a problem.  Immediately after pouring my coffee, it tastes wonderful, and has almost no bitterness.  I find, though, that it gets more and more bitter as I drink it.  I think it's probably because I use a blade grinder (I'm in college, so don't have money to buy a burr grinder), and so get a lot of sludge in the bottom of my cup.  I think that I'm going to try to get a mesh sieve like some other commentors have mentioned and see if that helps.  Can anyone relate to this problem or give me some advice?
morristercode

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: French Press
Posted Wed Sep 23, 2009, 8:24pm

Wow! I give you a bow of tremendous respect for what you wrote about choosing the right coffee grinder for a press. I am a firm believer in the mentality that the coarser you grind the more consistent the grind should be. (The less forgiving the inconsistencies are). Ive spoken to scores of people about grind consistency for a French press and most people(who probably got lucky once or twice with a crappy grinder..if thats even possible) tell me...grind it coarser than salt, or blade grinders are fine for french press's, or as long as you have a burr grinder you are good. I ask "what kind of salt, kosher salt? sea salt? table salt?" and they shrug because they probably dont even brew presses that much. Honestly the best cup of coffee I had from a press came from an individual in Pittsburgh who owned a shop called Espresso a Mano. He used a high quality, consistent commercial grinder for his individual presses. The results were amazing. I cannot stand shops that have very nice espresso grinders and crappy whirly grinders for presses.

But I am so happy to see someone who can be honest about how much powder is produced from even mid-level burr grinders. In my opinion if someone advocates a terrible, inconsistent grinder they are unscientific, or just have zero sense of taste or both.

I can't thank you enough for going the extra step that 90 percent or more of websites on coffee fail to address.
Antsy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Oct 11, 2009, 5:04pm

Excellent info!
DozerCSX
DozerCSX

Espresso: Krups Steam Toy (963/B)
Grinder: Hario Slim Ceramic
Vac Pot: Planetary Designs, Bodum
Drip: Chemex, Cuisinart Brew...
Roaster: popcorn popper
Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010, 12:27pm

Wow, what a breakthrough.  Thanks so much for this article - my brother in-law bought me a Bodum press pot for Christmas, and I've been waiting for the right moment to test drive it, both in both the time and psychological domains - with your excellent article, a bit of patience, and some really really good coffee (Kiamabara from Ritual in SF, also from BIL), I've taken 'er for a spin, and it's quite a revelation.  Part of the juju is the manual engagement required to complete the experience - you sort of have to earn the first reallyreally great  cup out of it - but once you do, you're done for.  And as I sit triumphant with my smooth, flavorful, downright pretty cup (like I'm doing right now), I reflect on how the "automatic-everything" monster of our current age simply won't get you this cup - you've got to roll up your sleeves and get to work (or pay someone to).

This is nothing less than a 5 minute artisan experience, where you get to drink your painting - I'm getting it!  Thanks again, couldn't have done it without the great step-by-step instructions here (including the pictures).

The only thing I'd add is an extra paragraph or two on properly CLEANING the bugger after you've finished - I've found no help aids anywhere on THAT, even though it seems just as critical to your next pot, and in my current fumblings, it's the hardest part (and the most work).  And I'm afraid if I I don't get it right, I'll stain or adversedly flavor the filter bits for the next go-round.

Still, I'll worry about that after I finish my coffee...
jeffreydach
jeffreydach

Posted Sun Apr 11, 2010, 4:58pm

The very best coffee is made with fresh whole coffee beans, freshly ground and mixed with boiling water in a French Coffee Press.  The most important component is the quality of the coffee beans. The first step is to boil water in the kettle. While waiting for the water to boil, get out your French coffee press, and remove the plunger.  Also get out your electric coffee bean grinder. Fill the coffee grinder with whole beans, replace the lid, and turn on the grinder.  After 30 seconds or so, the beans will be fully ground into small particles.  Dump these small particles into the large glass beaker called a French Coffee Press.

A whistling kettle is recommended since it will alert you when the water comes to a full boil.  Once boiling, the water is now ready to pour into the French coffee press.  Be careful as you fill the glass beaker about full, because the water is scalding hot.  

Stir once and let the coffee sit for a variable length of time depending on your taste and experience.   I usually give it 30-60 seconds and then push down on the plunger which then pushes the coffee grounds down to the bottom of the glass beaker.  Others suggest giving it 3-4 minutes before using the plunger.

For More: http://www.drdach.com/Coffee_Out_of_This_World.html

jeffrey dach

jeffreydach: cup_of_coffee_6a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
sidthecat
sidthecat
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Francis! Francis! X5
Grinder: Ask again Later
Posted Wed Jun 2, 2010, 9:11pm

I'd like to say a word for the Freiling stainless steel press pot. I had a succession of very nice glass ones and managed to break every one of them, at which point I sent for the Freiling.
It's not only shatterproof, but its finer-than-average mesh makes for a perfectly wonderful cup of coffee.
century

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5
Drip: Chemex 8 Cup
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jun 21, 2010, 1:59pm

Whats the standard coffee amount (in grams) to fluid oz of hot water?
I know it will vary but I just need a jumping off point.

Espresso: Awaiting spare parts ;o(
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Jun 21, 2010, 3:21pm

Generally recommended to start at 60 gm per litre, which is - I think - about 35 fl  oz, but check 'cos it's a long time since I used oz.

Espresso: Awaiting spare parts ;o(
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Jun 21, 2010, 3:40pm

DozerCSX Said:

The only thing I'd add is an extra paragraph or two on properly CLEANING the bugger after you've finished - I've found no help aids anywhere on THAT, even though it seems just as critical to your next pot, and in my current fumblings, it's the hardest part (and the most work).  And I'm afraid if I I don't get it right, I'll stain or adversedly flavor the filter bits for the next go-round.

Still, I'll worry about that after I finish my coffee...

Posted February 2, 2010 link

Most Bodum (and other) pots have a plunger/filter setup that unscrews so the gauze filter, plate, coiled spring etc come apart. Dump them all in the dishwasher - the glass jug too if it's the type that comes out of the holder easily (some can be a bit tight especially the ones in metal holders).
showing page 9 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252095937729)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+