Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Use a Press Pot
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MTC

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Jul 4, 2010, 9:48am
Subject: Re: How to Use a Press Pot

85C (185F) sounds a bit low for water temp. it should be more like 91C (195F) when the water hits the grounds. Keep in mind water rapidly cools as soon as it the air. I bring my water to a boil then remove it from the burner ( approx. 212F) and let it cool for a bit and then pour. Good suggestions made for preheating your press w/ hot water, remember to do this for your cup too. For grinding at home you should buy the best you can afford and experiment with it to learn to identify proper grind sizes. Then if you have access to a commercial grinder you''ll be able adjust the grind appropriately. Do to parts wear and varying factors the settings on grinders in supermarkets e.t.c. should only be used as a starting point. Clear the grinder buy turning it on and tapping the shoot and opening up the burrs to a large setting then to your preferred setting. Take a palm full of beans and run them through to check the grind and then make appropriate adjustments to the setting.
 View Profile Link to this post
century

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5
Drip: Chemex 8 Cup
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jul 7, 2010, 7:43am

Does anyone adjust there coffee amounts to the type of coffee your drinking and/or roast level?
Or a standard ratio good enough?
jammin
jammin

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Wed Jul 7, 2010, 7:47am

century Said:

Does anyone adjust there coffee amounts to the type of coffee your drinking and/or roast level?
Or a standard ratio good enough?

Posted July 7, 2010 link

I prefer to stick to a standard ratio that suits my personal taste.  After 1 or 2 pots, I can fine tune the grind/dose, but it's generally pretty minor.  I've been enjoying ~6 grams coffee/100 grams of water.

cheers,
j

roast your own
BradandRisa
BradandRisa

Posted Sun Aug 22, 2010, 8:32am

When I use my Press Pot at work, I use the water from the hot spigot from the company coffee machine; 120 degrees of piping hot water to brew my coffee; I let it steep for about 3 - 5 minutes and the result is luke warm coffee at best; what am I doing wrong?
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Aug 22, 2010, 8:42am

Hi Risa,

That's way to cool to brew coffee. The SCAA brewing standard is from 195 - 205F, depending on the degree of roast.

Here's a primer: http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/1thebasics.html

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
FreyGrimrod

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Posted Sun Oct 17, 2010, 3:17pm

pictures down for years now or am I missing something? prefer 3 mins with stirring myself..
KingV911

Posted Fri Dec 3, 2010, 6:34pm

The author seems a little overly frustrated about people not using an expensive "quality grinder".  I use a cheap Krups blade grinder (apparently a wannabe bean grinder that is totally useless for french pressing) and I have perfected getting a decent coarse grind with it.  By pulsing the power and shaking the beans around every few pulses I get a coarse grind that is quite uniform.  I've got it down to where I never have any random large chunks or overly pulverized beans; most importantly, it works great with my french press.  NO sludge!  Obviously, a high end grinder like the author mentions would be the best choice, but if you practice you can get away with using a decent blade grinder and still end up with great pressed coffee.  The author suggests it will pretty much be a disaster and you'l be embarassing yourself and your ancestors.
Johnnycoffee

Espresso: Starbucks Athena
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Posted Sat Jan 1, 2011, 12:18pm

Great how to piece, still the same technique over the years.

Question, using a Virtuoso grinder I've had better luck with the 30 size setting for my Bodium. What size grind am I really looking for? I've played around for a few years and finally got a decent grinder but it seems like the optimal setting needs to change with the bean origin. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks for any help
riffi

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 10, 2011, 9:04am

Question for the experts:  Hi.  I have a press pot and find sometimes that it is very difficult to push down the press.  I try to grind the beans to the same level every time.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Mon Jan 10, 2011, 10:10am

It may be the result of a build-up of fines against the screen, a symptom of a grinder that cannot produce an even coarse grind. What grinder are you using?
An alternative method of filtering is to not push the plunger down at all, and simply use it as a more passive filter. This would essentially convert your press into more of an Eva Solo style brew. You may still get fines clogging the screen, which can be remedied by simply twisting the plunger as you pour. Hope that helps.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 10 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.2316801548)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+