Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Use a Press Pot
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
expobar

Posted Fri Jul 23, 2004, 11:02am
Subject: Re: How to Use a Press Pot

how about you buy a half pound of ground for french press, and however much you want whole bean, and try to dial in to the same setting peets uses?
 View Profile Link to this post
javachik
javachik
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Bodum Thermal Press
Posted Fri Nov 5, 2004, 4:06am

Very informative...I had no idea about the "bloom", or stirring the slurry before letting it steep.  I'll definitely start doing that.

Press brewing was how I was introduced to quality coffee.  I had a drip maker in my dorm room until I bought a press, and I never looked back.  It's what I'm relying on at the moment until I move back to the US and buy my new set-up.

~Kari

I drink coffee to RELAX!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JDi

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Drip: Starbucks Barista
Posted Sun Nov 14, 2004, 2:59pm

Recently I read the press pot how-to on illy.com.  They suggest NOT stirring and NOT waiting : pour the hot water in with the coffee and plunge right away.  It didn't sound right but I thought I should try it anyway... I have to tell ya it definitely makes a better tasting cup of coffee!  Ever since I bought my press pot I kept thinking that every cup I make has a bitter taste - not as good as my auto drip.

I use the appropriate amount of coffee -- 1:6 coffee to water (30 mL coffee per 180 mL water), water that is 85 C when pouring it over the grounds, and actually I wait anywhere between 30 - 60 s before starting the plunge.  The coffee is gound for french press on my Solis Maestro Plus.

Try it out and see what you think.
Pharmer

Posted Thu Feb 10, 2005, 2:39pm
Subject: HOW TO PRESS POT -CONCUR! Additional suggestions

I developed my method over a few years, by reading several coffee pamphlets and postings, and listening to the advice of others. My method is quite similar to the method described in the  original article.  I highly recommend the original article, with hardly an exception. DETAILS AND CONSISTENCY MATTER!
Thank you Mark Prince.

I kindly offer additional  suggestions, as ideal conditions are not always possible.
-If your using a cheap, pulse blade grinder, grind smaller batches (less than3/4 full) and shake grinder up and down gently while grinding, holding the lid down with your thumbs and gripping the grinder body firmly.  Mentally note grind time and sound, to achieve reproducibility.
-If you dont want to wait, add just enough cool-cold water to just wet grinds (paste not a slurry) in the press , just before adding the boiling water. This will result in a steeping temperature just between PEET,s recommended range of 195-205 F.  I found pen like thermometers do not necessarily give reproducible results. I calibrate using both boiling water and ice water. I stopped using the thermometer once I perfected my technique. Above performed at sea level.
- Use the handle end of the press to gently stir grinds for a few seconds, both immediately after adding water, and once again, halfway through steep time,  to help saturate floating grinds.
-Seat the press lid on on while steeping, with the filter high enough above the surface to avoid direct metal contact.
-After pressing, let press sit a minute or two before pouring to allow finer grinds to settle.
-Try different varieties of beans. Some are not well suited for the press. Dark roasts I like, but light roasts and the darkest dark roasts produce a tangy flavor or  overwhelm the taste experience, respectively.
-Filter with a fine, non-absorbent filter if you are pouring coffee into a thermos. Metal mesh tea filters allow finest particles through.
Pharmer

Posted Thu Feb 10, 2005, 3:04pm
Subject: Re: How to Use a Press Pot -Press grind not sold &  grind picture reference

I have not found a retail coffee seller in the San Francisco bay area who sells coffee ground specifically for a french press. It seems there commercial grinder does not have a coarse enough setting, despite what is labeled on the machine. So, ask for there most coars grind. BTW, I grind my own beans.

Suggestion to Mark P:  Add to your excellent picture guided press pot instructions, a photo of  small coffee ground samples, say 1/8 teaspoon of each,  side by side on a white piece of paper along beside the  name of the type of grind. Place a common reference, such as a dime, next to the grind spread.  This " actual size" image could be printed out and one could then pour  their own grinds on the picture for direct comparison.

I got this idea from a similar image used in an old Starbuck's Pamphlet called The Best Coffee at home.
No, I dont buy Starbuck,s beans.
jennnej

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 10, 2005, 4:38pm

I use a Bodum 3-cup coffee press, but somehow I could never get the coffee intensity I want even though I put in 2 spoons of coffee (I like my coffee dark with a lot of flavor). I use Maxwell House French Roast or Folgers French Vanilla, probably not the right grind. Is there any tip to improve the coffee taste? Right now my coffee tastes like cheap breakfast coffee from one of those hotel.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Apr 11, 2005, 8:29am

jennnej Said:

I use Maxwell House French Roast or Folgers French Vanilla, probably not the right grind. Is there any tip to improve the coffee taste? Right now my coffee tastes like cheap breakfast coffee from one of those hotel.

Posted April 10, 2005 link

Yes, please get rid of the Maxwell House French Roast or Folgers French Vanilla! {:-O

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
philxan

Posted Mon Jul 11, 2005, 11:59pm

Hi (first post for a newbie to this site... so go easy, ok?)

I might be getting a little late on this, but thanks very much Mark for a great article. Using a French Press (as I've alway known it) has been my coffee mainstay for many years. I still use for it for that midmorning pickme up at work. It's easier to store all the equipment than bring in my own espresso machine!

A few comments on the comments:
  • Warm the press before steeping - I've found it keeps the final coffee at a better temperature
  • After boiling the kettle, I let it sit for about 10 to 15 seconds. This allows the water to calm down and the grounds don't get scolded
  • Stiring is essentiall!
  • Sometimes I find that the coffee will settle on the bottom all of its own accord after just a couple of minutes, although I'm not sure why. If this happens, I'll push the press down (slowly, of course), and then quickly draw it back up again. This creates a whirlpool effect, bringing the grounds back into the coffee for more steeping. After they have settled again I'll press and pour as normal. Sometimes you have to be careful with this, as it can create a very strong, bitter taste.

Thanks for a great site people. I hope these comments are too far off track.

pk
MrSkimo

Espresso: Brewtus II, Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Mr Coffee (for guests)
Roaster: Swissmar Bravi
Posted Tue Jul 12, 2005, 1:12am

jennnej Said:

I use a Bodum 3-cup coffee press, but somehow I could never get the coffee intensity I want even though I put in 2 spoons of coffee (I like my coffee dark with a lot of flavor). I use Maxwell House French Roast or Folgers French Vanilla, probably not the right grind. Is there any tip to improve the coffee taste? Right now my coffee tastes like cheap breakfast coffee from one of those hotel.

Posted April 10, 2005 link

Other than the obvious - get better beans - a three cup press should use 3 1/8 cup coffee measures.  Try using a bit more coffee and see if it helps.
kentv999

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Sep 9, 2005, 5:19pm

Great Article!  I've recently gotten into espresso and have been interested in Press Pots based on information found on this forum.   I finally purcahased one... WOW.  Not even being close to a coffee guru, it is a really great cup of coffee.  I've been buying fresh roasted beans from Coffee Emergency and with the combination of the press pot I can't believe how good the coffee tastes.   I've got a Rocky Grinder and have it set to basically the "largest" setting it will grind.  I do find, though, that there seems to be lots of "flakes" in the ground coffee.  Not sure of the reason for that.  It doesn't seem to cause a problem, but wasn't sure if that was correct or not.  I don't notice this when grinding for espresso.  

Anyway... great article and thanks for "leading the way"!

Kent
showing page 4 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.245867967606)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+