Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Using a Siphon Coffee Maker
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Using a Siphon...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 16 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Mon Dec 29, 2008, 10:56am
Subject: Re: Using a Siphon Coffee Maker

Crow Said:

Hi,
This is first post at this site.
EDIT: OOPS, I'm at a different site than I thought, I have posted before and recently :). :EDIT
I have just bought online one which seems to be a different brand than I could find in this thread.

Posted December 28, 2008 link

Ah, so you are the one who bid me out of the ball game <grins>.  Good on you.  Enjoy it.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Crow
Crow
Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Zass Havanna
Vac Pot: Cona Old no. 2
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Fri Feb 6, 2009, 2:28pm

Of all the suggestions in this thread about preventing stalling the drop down, grinding courser worked for me 100%, whereas better seal and different type of filter made only a small improvement. I was about to give up!

For instance both of my machines, a Cona and a Vaculater, would clog every time with normal supermarket bought canned coffee.

An extremely course grind will allow any appliance to work I would guess. It certainly did mine :).

Now am grinding finer each time to possibly find a sweet spot at a more tastier fineness level.
 View Profile Link to this post
gib123

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009, 9:06pm

Well, the method used on the review is very different from the Chinese method.
The coffee would often times be too bitter and sour when you brew for such a long time.
For the best flavors, we use single-origin beans, not blended. Most of the roasts are lighter. Mostly Medium or City Roast.
After years of experimenting, my teacher believes that 50 seconds would be the best brewing time using a butane liter and turn to low fire after injecting the upper pot.
The grinded coffee bean powder would be dump right after all the water is sucked to the upper level, but not put into the top pot prior to brewing.
About 14grams for 3 cups extracts more flavors.
Feel free to e-mail if anyone wants to further discuss the beauty of siphon coffee maker.
It is believed to make the best coffee by lots of professional coffee lovers. Most tend to prefer Siphon over Espresso. Very interesting, eh?
javabarons
javabarons
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Sirena
Grinder: Starbucks Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cory vacuum DRL/DRU +
Drip: Antique perculators +
Roaster: None yet
Posted Sat May 2, 2009, 12:46pm

Mark,

I enjoyed the Ciphon Coffee Maker how-to.  I got a Cory DRL/DRU 6 or 8 months back (as well as a Cory stainless steel model with metal filter).  Both models I own have rubber gaskets.  I'm trying to pickup a "rubberless" model.  Ebay has a Cory DIL / DIU for auction right now.  I have done some research the past few months on Corys, but have not heard of this one.  Sounds like there's disagreement whether this one is actually rubberless or not.  Does anyone out there know for sure???  Does anyone have experiences using a DIL / DIU they could pass on.  

Thanks--Carl  (Note: this is a great site.  I just joined, and this is my first post.)
proshot04
proshot04
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: MACAP MC4 Doserless/ Solis...
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 5 Cup
Roaster: i wish
Posted Sun May 17, 2009, 12:18pm

Great how to really helped me get the best out of my Siphon brewer,  also i am not sure if u noticed but there is a typo in the article in the section: What Kind of Filters Exist for Siphon Coffee Makers, under: Metal (non mesh). you repeated cup of twice  "easiest filter to clean, and still brews a great ---cup of cup of coffee-- "
sergio_kuse
sergio_kuse

Espresso: Rancilio Epoca - 1 group
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario - Yama
Drip: NEVER
Roaster: Alps, HWP, PopCorn, Stove...
Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009, 5:47pm

Mark hi,

Great article!
However, I'm somehow confused with the process description:
"As it heats up, some of the water is converted to a gas - water vapour. ...."
I believe that water converts into gas (vapourize) at 100 C which is its boiling temperature. You say it converts to gas but does not boil.... how come? Am I missing something?

My humble explanation is that following one of the basic physics laws PV/T=C (Pressure multiplied by Volume and divided by Temperature equals Constant), it is the Pressure in the low bowl that pushes the WATER to the top when increasing the Temperature (Volume remains constant). Water goes from the lower to the upper bowl without converting to gas...

Thanks again and best regards
Sergio
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009, 6:38pm

Ahh, gotta love Boyle's law.

Hm,  water boils at 100C at sea level.  It begins to vaporize lower than that.  So, the gas is at the top of the lower globe, and the funnel part of the upper globe is below the water level on the lower globe.   So, when the temperature increases the gas expands in upper part of the lower globe, the only way for the water to exit is through the tube up to the upper globe, which pushes that hot water through the coffee grounds.

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
sergio_kuse
sergio_kuse

Espresso: Rancilio Epoca - 1 group
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario - Yama
Drip: NEVER
Roaster: Alps, HWP, PopCorn, Stove...
Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009, 8:18pm

Rawman Said:

Ahh, gotta love Boyle's law.

... It begins to vaporize lower than that.  ....

Posted July 21, 2009 link

At what temperature it begins to vaporize? I think that it begins only at 100C (sea level as you state) which is known as the boiling temperature.

Sergio
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Wed Jul 22, 2009, 3:06am

You would be wrong. The higher the temperature the faster the vapourisation reaching a max at boiling point.

Perhaps a better word is evaporation rather than vapourisation. It rains a lot is Scotland, but the puddles do eventually evaporate even with our current temp of 19*C.

You will also note that when you heat water or take a bath or shower steam rises from the water at a temperature well below 100*C.
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Wed Jul 22, 2009, 3:22am

sergio_kuse Said:

My humble explanation is that following one of the basic physics laws PV/T=C (Pressure multiplied by Volume and divided by Temperature equals Constant), it is the Pressure in the low bowl that pushes the WATER to the top when increasing the Temperature (Volume remains constant). Water goes from the lower to the upper bowl without converting to gas...

Posted July 21, 2009 link

You are along the right lines but your though process is skewed. Heating water in an eclosed volume causes the water to vapourise there by increasing the pressure in the lower chamber. Continue heating and the pressure exerted by the increasing amount of water vapour in the enclosed lower chamber eventually overcomes the resistance offered by the filter and atmospheric pressure and the water will be forced up into the upper chamber.

In short the increase in pressure in the lower chamber is a result of the increasing amounts of water vapour from heating the water to higher temperatures until eventually the water boils.
showing page 13 of 16 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Using a Siphon...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282285928726)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+