Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Use a Pour Over Brewer
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mrhagerty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: DeLonghi EC 702
Grinder: Starbucks Barista
Drip: Melitta Porcelain
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2008, 2:21pm
Subject: Re: How to Use a Pour Over Brewer

As with all others, excellent article and a favorite method for me over the past 30 years.

One exception is the cloth filter.  I used to work for a restaurant that used cloth filters for their drip machines.  They were regularly washed to keep them clean.  But it didn't take long for them to pick up a stale, spoiled coffee odor.  You could smell it when picking up a dry, cleaned filter to use in the machine.  They had to be replaced with new at intervals.

I prefer paper because you throw them out and use factory fresh each brew.  Then again, I don't get the oils and other products either.  But a great taste none the less.

The gold filter also has a plastic frame that picks up stale coffee odor also.  The more you scrub these to remove oils and residue the more the thin gold lining also rubs off and you have a metal mesh.

My final solution that ended all the alternatives was the Melitta ceramic cone (scarce as hen's teeth)  You can find them on the ebay and end up paying at least $25 for them used.  But they are a treasure and hard to find because the owners keep them.  They never take an odor even if left with spent filters for a day.  They can be washed and cleaned to complete satisfaction for next use.

Regards,

Mike
Tucson
 View Profile Link to this post
gt

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Cones & CCD
Roaster: P1 w/ variacs
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2008, 10:57am

mrhagerty Said:

I used to work for a restaurant that used cloth filters for their drip machines.  They were regularly washed to keep them clean.  But it didn't take long for them to pick up a stale, spoiled coffee odor.

Posted February 22, 2008 link

Mike,  Some cloth filter questions.

How often were the filters cleaned, like in the number of brews or number of days?

How did they clean them?

Between brews and especially overnight, did they keep the filters in use in water or let them dry out or ... ?

Thanks Gary
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
billg1

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2008, 2:47pm

I've noticed that my pour over brewer I got at Sur la Table (Melitta, I think?) has 4 holes at the bottom, which results in the liquid flowing out far too fast, yielding  a watery brew. Do other brands that I can buy on amazon, etc. work better in anyone's experience? Maybe I should just figure out a way to plug two of the holes permanently....

Thanks!
mrhagerty

Espresso: DeLonghi EC 702
Grinder: Starbucks Barista
Drip: Melitta Porcelain
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu May 22, 2008, 4:17pm

Sorry to have not noticed the replies.

The restaurant washed the cloth filters every night in a standard commerical jet spray dishwasher and usually dried in the open air.  But I fear that they were seldom rinsed from repeated use during the day, so the coffee oils and all impregnated the fibres.

billg1 - The units with three and four holes seem to be look-a-likes.  And I agree those versions drain the water too fast.

Try plugging the two outermost holes with a porcelain touch up paint and remember to smooth the inner side of the filling to avoid building up residues on a craggy surface.

Mike
coffeeblack

Grinder: Braun
Drip: paper / cone
Posted Thu May 22, 2008, 5:11pm
Subject: WHY NOT THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS???

Four Tablespoons (gently rounded) Beans into the grinder / grind "pretty durn fine" / yield 2 actual cups ( = one pint/ 16 ounces; bah on those who claim 6 ounces is a cup! For Shame!) of completed brew...

Hey, chemists and alchemists, answer me this:  Why not the best of the French Press (longer "soaking time" - - - - -  But Without the scuzzy grounds to clean up and to try to get off the screen thingie; and the sludge in the coffee cup from semi-adequate "screen filtration" inefficiency.

Combine this with the convenience of the one (only one morning run) or two (sometimes an afternoon or dinner sip) cent a day habit for unbleached paper filters - - - - but without the too-quick run through problem of typical "cone pours" - - - - -  what do we get??

Fresh ground beans into the PRE-WARMED (!!!) French Press pitcher (or carafe, if pitcher isn't hoity toity enough for you, ha), add properly hot water and after a pleasant soak, pour THAT mix through the unbleached paper filter into a pre-warmed cup. Or two cups, if one is worried the Mix is going to get bitter from longer soaking in the pitcher while the first cup is consumed....  (stronger Good, bitter Not Good - - opinions on whether  longer = bitter Are solicited!) I almost always find I have some of the second cup that needs a reheat in my little stainless copper-bottom pot over low low heat, kept specially for that purpose.

What isn't to love???

Now somebody tell me what the actual best water temperature is, and how to actually measure it PLEASE!

And for the Truly Scientific researcher, someone Please calculate the amount of Extra water needed to result in two FULL cups of coffee After some of the water has remained behind with the damp bean grindings in the filter.

SCIENCE!!!!!!!!  To the Rescue!!!!!!!!!                     HEP ME!!!!     thanks!
Leverage

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Gas oven
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2008, 6:13am

I would add that pre-saturation allows for a more full extraction!Pour the thinnest stream of H20 possible over the grounds, just to moisten them!  Then, WAIT 30 seconds!  Then, pour the rest of the H20 for your cup!.  This "pre-saturation" technique allows the coffee grounds to swell and expand ... allowing a fuller, richer extraction!
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2008, 8:05am

Leverage Said:

I would add that pre-saturation allows for a more full extraction!Pour the thinnest stream of H20 possible over the grounds, just to moisten them!  Then, WAIT 30 seconds!  Then, pour the rest of the H20 for your cup!.  This "pre-saturation" technique allows the coffee grounds to swell and expand ... allowing a fuller, richer extraction!

Posted June 15, 2008 link

I second the recommendation; precisely what I do.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
chupie

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jun 15, 2008, 9:58am

Tried this this a.m. with my chemex. Definitely intensifies flavor. Nice!
coffeeblack

Grinder: Braun
Drip: paper / cone
Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:52pm
Subject: SCIENCE -->Re: How to Use a Pour Over Brewer

O.K.   I put 2 cups, 16 ounces, right to the line, of hotted water; poured it through 4 Tablespoons of commercial ground coffee / unbleached paper filter, back into that same measuring cup.
   Negligibly below the starting point! Certainly not enough to give a second thought about.

Now, if someone could suggest a way to monitor the temperature, and their opinions for minimum bitter and Max Caffein (Max Caffein, Private Eye?) (sorry, it just Fit...) thermal choice...
LL

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2008, 4:23pm

Please tell me where you got that cloth filter and handle!  I can find cloth filters with a basic web search, but I am not seeing the handle anywhere.  I'm interested in buying several.  Please help!
showing page 6 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.238353967667)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+