Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Use a Pour Over Brewer
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 9 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Oct 21, 2005, 12:00am
Subject: How to Use a Pour Over Brewer

How to Use a Pour Over Brewer

Want to make the perfect cup of drip brewed coffee? You don't need no fancy $150 digital wunderkind - a simple $4 manual drip pourover device will do the trick!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MikeWright

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Roaster: Hearthware iRoast
Posted Sat Oct 22, 2005, 7:59am
Subject: Re: How to Use a Pour Over Brewer

Nice article, Mark. I have just one additional idea for you.

For hot water, I use a Zojirushi "Electric Dispensing Pot". (See http://www.zojirushi.com/elepots.html for available versions.)

I have the 5.0 liter model (CD-DEC50), and keep it filled with distilled water, so there's never any mineral scale build-up. We got ours from a local Korean grocery store.

It keeps the water at your choice of 140 or 203 F. In addition to coffee, you can use it for tea and instant noodles, as well as for getting a little hot water to add to dishes that you are cooking on top of the stove. It has a safety button that must be pushed before the Dispense button will work. There are other models that have temperature options of 175, 195, and 208 F, but, based on your article, it looks like mine is the best for drip coffee. As soon as my ground coffee is in the cone, I just hold the whole mess under the nozzle and run the desired amount of hot water.

We have lots of tea drinkers in my family, so we leave it on all the time, set to 203. It doesn't seem to take much electricity.
Rick
Rick

Espresso: Wega Mininova Inox Auto...
Grinder: Macap M4 stepped
Drip: Melitta #2 cone filter
Roaster: Stir-Crazy/Infinity Turbo...
Posted Sat Oct 22, 2005, 9:05am

I'd like to add 2 suggestions to improve the process ever-so-slightly.

Pour hot water into your cup to preheat it, then toss it before pouring in the coffee.  Making a single cup of coffee in a brewer and pouring the brew into a cold cup will cool the coffee too much for many people's liking.

And it helps to first wet the grounds to saturate them, then to wait ~15 seconds before pouring the remaining water over them.  

Great article, and a much under-valued way of making fine coffee.

Cheers,

Rick
stinkyjones
stinkyjones

Espresso: Wega Atlas EVD 1GR (Black)
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly (Orange)
Roaster: New!: GG/SC
Posted Sat Oct 22, 2005, 9:24am

Good article, however, I have a question . . .

How coarse/fine should I grind?  Is there a tangible comparison you could make to convey grind size?

With espresso, you get instant feedback in terms of proper grind, but not so with brewed coffee . . .

Thanks,
--Scott

The pillars of inspiration are all falling down.
dannathan
dannathan

Espresso: NS Oscar and Dama
Grinder: MazzerMini
Vac Pot: Nicro
Drip: Pour-over cone
Roaster: SC/CO & BBQ drum roaster
Posted Sat Oct 22, 2005, 10:01am

Funny - just bought my first pour over last week (designed for use on/over a thermos neck).

What Mark said.  It has to be the best, easiest and least costly way (grinder and beans notwithstanding) to make a fine cup of coffee.  I use the gold filter and don't sweat the sediment.  After years of using everything else, I think this is as good as the best (a vacpot was my prior first choice).

I like the pour over that fits nicely atop a thermos because it's good for travel-ready coffee - or, for that matter, coffee of a more static nature.

The first jug I made (more or less to Mark's methodology) was as good as the grounds could have afforded.  I fear this method is simply too low tech for a lot of people who believe you need an exotic machine to make a good pot of joe in the least time with minimum clean up.  A plastic pour over is as good as it gets - batteries not included.
MochaManiac
MochaManiac

Espresso: Kitchen Aid Pro Line
Grinder: Kitchen Aid Pro Line
Posted Sat Oct 22, 2005, 10:56am

I use a pour over at work (I can't afford two espresso machines and grinders!), and it makes an AWESOME cup of coffee.  In fact, I like it better than the coffee press.  Actually, I really go el cheapo.  I get some bulk beans from the local grocer and grind them there.  Then, I use a regular paper filter.  Well, shoot, for the money invested, I couldn't have a better cup of coffee!
 View Profile Link to this post
peacedog
peacedog

Espresso: Andreja Premium; Presso
Grinder: rancilio rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Yama HCA-5
Drip: Krups Moka Brew; Technivorm...
Roaster: behmor 1600; Toastess popper
Posted Sat Oct 22, 2005, 11:11am

When I visited California this past summer, one of the best cups of coffee I had was at a place that used a pourover system for each individual cup.  It was called something like the Santa Cruz Coffee Company.  With that system, they could offer 10 or 12 varieties of coffee, with none baking in a pot, or cooling in a thermos.

I have used this method many times when travelling, and backpacking.  Rather than stirring, I pour in further hot water as the first lot drains, washing down the grounds on the side of the filter, and agitating them.

"Give me a rocks on the rocks - and put it in a dirty glass" - Cary Granite
MarshallF
MarshallF

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sat Oct 22, 2005, 12:10pm

MikeWright Said:

Nice article, Mark. I have just one additional idea for you.

For hot water, I use a Zojirushi "Electric Dispensing Pot". (See http://www.zojirushi.com/elepots.html for available versions.)

I have the 5.0 liter model (CD-DEC50), and keep it filled with distilled water, so there's never any mineral scale build-up.

Posted October 22, 2005 link

We use one, too. But, putting distilled water in it is a very bad idea. The reason we coffee nuts go to all this trouble in making our favorite brew is to enjoy the best possible flavor and aroma, not to set descaling records. Minerals are absolutely necessary to the chemical process of brewing great coffee (100 to 150 ppm are best). I know I'm a broken record on this subject. But anyone who's cupped coffee at different mineral levels will tell you the differences ain't subtle. Same goes for tea.

Descaling is easy in the Zozirushi. It has a descaling cycle built into it.

Cites: oh heck, too numerous to list. Just Google "coffee and distilled"
Paul_Pratt
Paul_Pratt

Espresso: Marzocco SMAL + GS
Grinder: Vulcano
Drip: Pourover cone works best for...
Roaster: Probat
Posted Sat Oct 22, 2005, 7:01pm

Hi Mark,

No matter what fancy gizmos we all use, something as simple as a pourover cone makes very good coffee.  I use one everyday.  

Amazing photos BTW.

Paul
aurelio
aurelio
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Astra(CT)/Antigua
Vac Pot: Santos/FP/AP
Drip: Presto-SG/Krups(pourover)
Roaster: Alp
Posted Sat Oct 22, 2005, 7:29pm

Good article, Mark.  Ever since I learned that my Krups severely underheats, I switched it to a pourover method (the filter-basket sits atop the thermal carafe).  I've been using the FlavorPore or Filtropa filters, but the cloth filters sound intriguing.  Any particular brand you (or anyone else that uses them) recommend?  I did an internet search and the only thing that really showed up were these at shop.com.  I use OxyClean in the laundry, but I presume you probably handwash these to make sure they are completely rinsed clean, no?  Thanks for the article! (when do you sleep?)

Scott -- I've gotten the best flavor from my drip using the finest grind possible that won't stall the drip.  But, I've been using paper filters exclusively.  The type of filter you use might also impact the grind requirements.  Nevertheless, I think the guideline still applies:  Just grind till the drip stalls and then back off a bit on your grinder.  If too bitter, keep backing off until you hit it.  That worked for me.

Marshall -- I've heard similar talk about not using distilled water for brewing coffee.  I presume filtered (i.e. Brita) is okay?

Aurelio

EDIT:  grammar

"I am the great Cornholio!"  -- an overcaffeinated Beavis
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My favorite CG posts...
Ristretto & blonding:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/202518
FP brewing tips:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/188186
Vacpot brewing tips: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/184393
Green bean sellers: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/179595
Inside the mind of a CG:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/members/offtopic/176471
showing page 1 of 9 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292505979538)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+