Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Use a Press Pot
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Cafetiere

Posted Fri Nov 21, 2008, 12:09pm
Subject: Re: How to Use a Press Pot

OK, excellent "how to" . . .

I pre-measure my water.  Fill to the mark in the pot and then into a stainles pan for heating. Temp of the water should be just below boiling. I take the pan off the stove and wait for the bubbles to stop rolling. I've never checked temp to see exactly where this puts it, but I'm guessing it drops when the bubbles stop.

"Put the lid on the pot." -- After stirring the mix and setting the timer, I put the lid on and press the filter down over the grounds so that they stay submerged rather than "floating" at the top of the brew. This allows ALL the gounds to brew.

"Clean" -- what about cleaning this pot? Folklore tells me that soap/water is a bad mix with coffee pots. Still, old oils in the pot/filter can't be optimal.

I steep the cup while brewing, hot tap water, changed a couple times during the 4 min. brew process. I like a large, heavy mug . . . and steeped keeps the coffee HOT.

"Sludge in the cup" -- It settles to the bottom. Some people I know actually view it as a bit of a "treat" . . .

Good coffee is not rocket science. It's WAY more complicated than that!
 View Profile Link to this post
joetex

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Nov 23, 2008, 10:05am
Subject: Press Pot vs.  Aeropress?

I know Aeropress uses a paper filter,  suggests lower temperature. Neither of this I like. I like a strong HOT coffee with powdered cream and sugar.  
I like its 10 sec seep + 20 sec press. vs. the 3 to 4 min seep with the French Press.

I am in the market for a 1-cup cofee maker.  I grind my cofee for 1 cup.  I would prefer a programmable timer to start the process. I now heat a cup of water in the MW and it takes 2 min.  

I would like to use it to seep fine ground green tea.

Is it possible to seep to heat and seep in the MW at the same time.
timcoolguy
timcoolguy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia w/ Auber PID...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama 8 Cup Stovetop
Drip: pourover and buono kettle
Roaster: nesco professional roaster
Posted Fri Dec 5, 2008, 8:10pm

two things i want to reaffirm as a newbie. (actually i've been making presspot for about two years, but a newbie in the coffeegeek scene)

1. I pulled a Bara (sp?) this morning.  I noticed by coffee was incredibly bitter.  totally unlike the rest of this roast batch.  then it hit me.  i had used my grinder to make fine ground coffee for my mokapot a few nights earlier.  i didnt set it back to coarse grounds.  USE COARSE GROUNDS FOR PRESS POT!!!  duh me.

2. In your instructions, you stir the bloom before the four-minute steep.  I've read to stir AFTER the steep.  I started doing it your way a few weeks ago after first reading this article.  It DOES make a stronger brew on account of the grounds being throughout the mixture rather than all bunched at the top.  One thing though that i modified.  Even after stirring before, i notice that a lot of the grounds STILL float to the top during the steep time.  This makes it hard to plunge.  So my modification is as follows: stir-steep-stir again-plunge.  This accomplishes both a stronger brew and an easy plunge.

One last thing while i'm reminiscing (sp?) over press pot experiences.  I've always read and heard on the podcast that coffee oils/flavor/CO2 all peak at four days after the roast.  I roast my own, so I roast and wait-wait-wait.  Then brew on the fourth day.  But on one of your podcasts, you said the four-day-rule really applies to espresso as all the CO2 released inside the portafilter would be a problem of sorts.  But you said we COULD brew normal coffee before four days definetly in a press pot and in drip over it might be a slight problem if the bloom goes over the top of the filter.  Anyway, so my funny story about press pot brewing a 2-hour old roast...  I got my two-hour-old-roast and ground it... mmm... smelled so good.  I put it in the press pot after the water started boiling in the kettle.  I poured the water from the kettle into the press pot and immediately the bloom started to bubble up like baking soda and vinegar.  it was awesome... all that CO2 being released. so i stopped pouring water when the bloom reached the top of the press pot.  i waited for it to shrink down.  finally the weight of the grounds on top collapsed all at once in to the mixture.  how full was the pot after the collapse of the bloom?  half full!!!  i then filled it to the top and stirred.  it certainly tasted great.  but i think i'll wait longer after that.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
thumper092352

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2008, 10:19am

hi everyone I'm new to the group and am looking for some info. I just bought my wife a coffee press for Christmas and a bur type grinder then I stumbled on this side when trying to learn how to use the press and read the article how to use a press pot and I  read about the grinder  bought a Capremo model #580 and I was wondering if this is good quality burr grinder or if I should look into getting a better one thank you for your time and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Richard Kelly (thumper092352)

Lake Wales fl.
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Wed Dec 10, 2008, 7:22pm

I've used the Capresso Infinity($89) for press pot with good results but have no experience with their 580. Considering the price range ($49) I wouldn't have high hopes. Have you tried it yet? If not I'd consider returning it for the Infinity.

John
BillSmith

Posted Tue Feb 24, 2009, 8:40am

The author of the 2003 article wrote, “Personally, as someone who cups coffee, I don't mind a bit o' sludge and grit in my cup."

Personally, I can live without the sludge and a mouthful of grit at the end of a cup.

So, after brewing, I pour the coffee from my press into my coffee cup filtered through a small Krups gold coffee filter sitting in an inexpensive Melitta “Ready Set Joe Filter Cone” that sits on top of the coffee cup.  I don’t know the size of the Krups filter, it’s a small one without the little pull-out handle.  It fits into the Melitta perfectly.

The gold Krups filter empties fast into the coffee cup, much faster than a paper filter.  Plus, paper filters remove flavor and we don’t need that!

Bottom line, filter inexpensively and enjoy the best of both worlds – great coffee made from a press and no coffee grounds.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Feb 24, 2009, 3:58pm

BillSmith Said:

The author of the 2003 article wrote, “Personally, as someone who cups coffee, I don't mind a bit o' sludge and grit in my cup."

Personally, I can live without the sludge and a mouthful of grit at the end of a cup.

Posted February 24, 2009 link

I've evolved a bit since writing this article :)

Here's a technique for getting a very clean, "clear" press pot coffee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfN116i4mVg

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ashii

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: KitchenAid Pro Line Burr
Posted Wed Feb 25, 2009, 1:52am

Hey all,

Thanks for the great discussion.

I'm wondering - I have access to freshly roasted beans, and have heard that it's best to let them sit for a few days before roasting, due to the C02 "emission." From what I understand - and correct me if I'm wrong! - it's best to wait 2 to 4 days for French Press grinding, and 4+ days for Espresso, etc.

My second question is, for those first few days after roasting, should I keep the beans in my "Bean Vac" cannister? And if I do, should I open it once (or twice?) per day, to let the C02 out? If this is the case, how long should I leave the cannister open, to let the C02 out?

Or, should I just leave the beans in the stock bag for the first few days, *then* transfer it to the Bean Vac on say the 5th day or so?

http://www.beanvac.com/product_description.htm

Thanks!
BillSmith

Posted Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:32pm

MarkPrince Said:

I've evolved a bit since writing this article :)

Here's a technique for getting a very clean, "clear" press pot coffee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfN116i4mVg

Mark

Posted February 24, 2009 link

It's good to know at least someone's evolving!  :)  Personally I'm going downhill, but that's another story lol.

I tried the skim method.  I removed both the crust and the bloom.  Granted this is only one pressing and I'm not a coffee expert, but removing the bloom in this one pressing produced more coffee flavor - which in this instance isn't necessarily a good thing because I was using cheap coffee - and so removing the bloom increased undesirable taste.  

So, here's a hypothesis:  Pressing the bloom (the released CO2) with the plunger down through the coffee smooths out the flavor, essentially "hiding" some subtle flavors.  If this is true, removing the bloom would allow all tastes to be present from high quality beans.

Anyway, to the people that created, maintain and work on this website - good job.  All the best in everyone's endeavors.
XmaswaK

Posted Mon Mar 23, 2009, 5:39pm

I want to thank you for this informative guide, even many years later; I got great results this morning (after a first failed attempt with a borrowed blade grinder, which created a nasty bitter gritty brew as predicted - hey, I thought I'd at least try!). By following the directions with a burr grinder to coarsest uniform grind, I got a tasty flavorful coffee to take in my thermos to work.

Luckily, I received a vintage 80s Bodum press for free from a friend, just needed to purchase a replacement filter. Was able to get rid of an ugly bad drip maker and free up counter space - press fits nicely in the cabinet. And, of course, much better coffee.

The how-to and photos were very helpful in understanding how a press works, some great tips (chopstick swirl) to get me past the basic hurdles and now I can start experimenting with some of the other tips in the thread.

Many, many thanks to the author and thread participants for sharing your knowledge! from one happy coffee brewing in Portland...
showing page 8 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251101970673)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+