Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How To Make a Shot in the Dark!
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How To Make a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
espresso_jim
espresso_jim
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2002, 1:06pm
Subject: Shot in the Dark=Hammerhead

I was turned on by this around the corner at one of Austin, TX little secrets - one great coffee shop. Been drinking these hammerheads for years as a treat on weekends.  Been a while now that I've been making my own at home.  I think better because I use a vacuum pot for the plain coffee and my espresso shots are simply better!
People do raise their eyebrow when they found out what I'm drinking.
 View Profile Link to this post
TweekGheeq

Expertise: Intermediate

Posted Sat Jul 20, 2002, 10:23pm
Subject: PoFolk's 110 Octane.

I've tried various espresso boosted coffee  drinks, but pure (crappy) espresso became my staple.

As a heathan steam pressure machine owner who needed to get through the late nighters, I used to brew two 3x (out of a possible 4; pseudo-ristretto ) carafs of espresso and take it to work in a stainless steel vacuum flask.

My philosophy was, "if the emergency pressure release didn't activate, you didn't fill/tamp the basket enough." The first few drops would sit as individual beads on the bottom of the caraf.

This method was good for a small scummy layer of crema and enough caffiene to keep me up fo 24+ hours straight.

I also kept the secret of my brew to myself; the few people I revealed the truth to looked at me like I was psycho.

Merry jitters,

TweekGheeq
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Thomsen
Thomsen
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: NS Grinta
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Press Pot, Bodum
Roaster: HWP
Posted Fri Aug 2, 2002, 5:54am
Subject: The morning booster

I have always known this as a red eye too. A guy used to get this in the early mornings but with an ice cupe on top of the coffee so he could drink it faster. See, that's being in need of coffee!
rossignol
rossignol
Expertise: Aficionado

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: ECM Commercial
Roaster: Searching.....
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2002, 12:12am
Subject: pretty stupid idea

sorry buddy but that is simply wasting a good double shot.  Why not just make a long black if you are not able to stomach a proper double shot?  Waste of time sorry.
kervinl

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2002, 10:34pm
Subject: Names

Red Eye, Eye Opener, Depth Charge, Shot in the Dark or as we call it at Peets Coffee with a shot of Espresso (or double, or triple, etc)
sumatra1

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2002, 8:27pm
Subject: Re: How To Make a Shot in the Dark!

I'm glad this article was written. I hope that it enlightens those who have been left in the dark. As a college student i should add that this drink has propelled me through countless all-nighters. In my part of the country we call it a red eye.
Joshchad

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Nov 25, 2002, 3:42pm
Subject: Black or Red

I work at a coffee shop and we call this a Black Eye and a coffee with only one shot (1 oz) is called a Red Eye. We'll usually make a customer's coffee into a Red Eye or a Black Eye if it's a Light Roast coffee and the customer complains that it is too weak for their tasting. In my opinion, it's a good drink, but a double shot in itself is much better.
latture

Posted Sat Dec 21, 2002, 8:45pm
Subject: spoonfull of wakeup

during my all nighter days we'd take a spoonfull of instant coffee crystals and chase it with a cold coffee drink.  it did the trick, but this one sounds a lot more palatable.
NaptownHardBean

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2003, 7:53pm
Subject: Montana

At our little shop, we like to call this a Montana. Don't ask me where we got the name from... hell if I know.
Anf51

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 1, 2003, 7:44am
Subject: A Shot In The Dark

First refered to me as a red eye, a shot in the dark is a great way to wake up in the morning.  Working at a coffee shop myself, I actually tend to make quite a few of them.
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How To Make a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.211535215378)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+