Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Clean a Dirty Grouphead
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Clean a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
Author Messages
munkybeanz

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Nouvelli
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: none
Roaster: FZ-RR 700
Posted Tue Aug 3, 2010, 7:33am
Subject: Re: How to Clean a Dirty Grouphead

I just have a question regarding the dish soap that you used to clean the screen / group head / brass disc?

There are other forums / websites that basically say NEVER use dish soap or detergent to wash espresso accessories or parts.  There are even some that say never use dish soap on mugs and only use coffee cleaners as "detergent" for anything coffee related...

That sounds a bit extreme to me, but I was wondering if Mark or anyone else on the forum can shed some light on whether using dish soap / detergent is okay for cleaning parts as long as I make sure to rinse thoroughly?

My main concern is the brass plate.  Soaking is fine, but it takes too much time.  I'd like to just allocate about an hour to clean, and have it ready to brew first thing in the morning =D

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
canto
canto
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Aug 9, 2010, 4:09am

When we do training with my company we suggest using the blind filter at least three times a day (I'm talking about a coffee shop).
Once a month you can remove the screen and put it up to a flame. The flame make the exhausted powder dry, then just you need to hit slightly the screen to let the dried powder drop down.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Mon Aug 9, 2010, 6:38am

canto Said:

When we do training with my company we suggest using the blind filter at least three times a day (I'm talking about a coffee shop).
Once a month you can remove the screen and put it up to a flame. The flame make the exhausted powder dry, then just you need to hit slightly the screen to let the dried powder drop down.

Posted August 9, 2010 link

Wow....in a coffee shop I would re removing the shower screen and gasket and cleaning it and the dispersion disk at least every day.....I drop my shower screen every 3 days to clean it, and the dispersion disk. Using the blind filter with water does very little.
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Mon Aug 9, 2010, 9:58am

>>There are other forums / websites that basically say NEVER use dish soap or detergent to wash espresso accessories or parts.  There are even some that say never use dish soap on mugs and only use coffee cleaners as "detergent" for anything coffee related... <<

I'm no coffee expert - I'm a new coffeegeek - but I have an extremely keen nose and I can smell things that other people cannot smell.  As "Monk" says, "it's a blessing and a curse".  

There is only one dish detergent that I can stand - and sadly it's very hard to find - it's the Ajax Grapefruit flavor and the smell doesn't bother me and seems to go away pretty quickly.  But any of the other scented dish soaps just leave a scent that ruins (for me) any food or drink that is served.    I also like really good Cabernet (I live in wine country) and I can't stand to drink from glasses that have been washed in detergents - it ruins the wine for me.

I wash my coffee cups and wine glasses with very hot water and friction.

After I descale my espresso machine I have to run a couple gallons of water through it before I stop tasting/smelling the cleaner.

BTW - I read a post somewhere about using raw eggs to settle coffee grounds (cowboy coffee?) - some wineries use egg to settle the fines in white wine.  I can always tell when a wine was fined that way.  In fact - regarding eggs - if you put a plate that had served up fried/scrambled etc. eggs into a dishwasher -- after washing I'd be able to smell the egg on every plate and glass that was washed at the same time.  I guess that's the curse part.  I like to eat eggs - but I can't drink out of a glass that was washed in the same dishwater as a plate that had eggs on it - if I do the egg smell overpowers whatever is in the glass.
canto
canto
Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Aug 11, 2010, 5:43am

Yes,
the blind filter is something, but for the Espresso machine the point is: cleaner - better!
if you remove the disk even every day would be fantastic.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rushydl

Espresso: Gaggia Baby Class
Grinder: Krups
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 8:39am

I am a new member to coffeegeek, I found the site after searching for info on my Gaggia Baby Class machine.
I am really impressed by the information on how to clean a grouphead and in particular the diagrams included by Mike Prince.
This information is not explained in the manuals. Perhaps it should be!
However I have kept my machine clean and descaled regurarly (it is a little over a year old) but on switching on this morning the water
is not getting through the grouphead, I have taken it completely apart and given it a thorough clean, but still not happening, although the water is getting through the steam wand and the motor seems fine. Can anyone help with much needed advise Please.
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Clean a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.201368093491)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+