Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Use a Pour Over Brewer
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
javaseeker

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Anfim Milano
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Posted Sat Oct 22, 2005, 11:47pm
Subject: Re: How to Use a Pour Over Brewer

Here is another type of "pour over" brewer. I had one of these, years ago... as I remember, it did decent coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 12:16am

javaseeker Said:

Here is another type of "pour over" brewer. I had one of these, years ago... as I remember, it did decent coffee.

Posted October 22, 2005 link

That's a vietnamese coffee brewer, different method, and in many circles, is only complete when served with sweetened condensed milk. It's the subject of the first "How To" I'm going to shoot with Beata, and also should be on a forthcoming CG podcast.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dsharp88

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1
Grinder: Mini Mazzer, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex, 1-cup Melitta
Roaster: Alpenrost, FreshRoast+,...
Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 6:26am

Great article, Mark, but let's not forget the Chemex brewer. It's not only a great pour-over manual drip with its own excellent paper filters, but is also the most aesthically pleasing of all coffee makers (with the possible exception of the more cumbersome balance brewers).

- Donald Blum
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
aurelio
aurelio

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Astra(CT)/Antigua
Vac Pot: Santos/FP/AP
Drip: Presto-SG/Krups(pourover)
Roaster: Alp
Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 8:59am

MarkPrince Said:

That's a vietnamese coffee brewer, different method, and in many circles, is only complete when served with sweetened condensed milk. It's the subject of the first "How To" I'm going to shoot with Beata, and also should be on a forthcoming CG podcast.

Mark

Posted October 23, 2005 link

Gasp!  If you're going to give time to this method, then I demand that us Neapolitan drips get mentioned, too!  j/k! :)

But please tell us more about cloth filters!!  Where to buy 'em?  Which brand!  How to clean them!

Thanks again for the article.

Aurelio

"I am the great Cornholio!"  -- an overcaffeinated Beavis
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My favorite CG posts...
Ristretto & blonding:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/202518
FP brewing tips:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/188186
Vacpot brewing tips: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/184393
Green bean sellers: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/179595
Inside the mind of a CG:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/members/offtopic/176471
MarkPrince

Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 12:56pm

I only know about commercial cloth filtes (ie, for the Luxus brewing system from Fetco), and the cloth filters for vac pots (Hario still sells them), and of course, for the hario drip pictured in the article (I bought a dozen just in case I can't get them down the road). I've used cloth filters for as much as 2+ years on vac pots before having to replace, and I'm still on my first cloth filter for the Hario.

The link above to the #4 size cloth filter looks interesting - has anyone tried that one yet?

Cheers

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
hyacinth
hyacinth
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 5:24pm

I think it's unfair to show off that little Hario brewer when many of us will never be able to get one,  what with the demise of hariousa!

"When my examination is complete, all carbon units will be reduced to data patterns."
coffeemaster
coffeemaster
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Barista, Verismo 801
Grinder: Barista, verismo 801
Drip: Bunn Digital
Posted Mon Oct 24, 2005, 9:58pm

I love this method but I still prefer french press.
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2005, 11:11pm

hyacinth Said:

I think it's unfair to show off that little Hario brewer when many of us will never be able to get one,  what with the demise of hariousa!

Posted October 23, 2005 link

Hario's working to find a new US distributor.

Which is my way of letting any vendors / importers out there know, it's available. If you're interested, contact me and I'll forward you the Hario rep's contact info in Japan.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
maynard_g
maynard_g

Espresso: VBM Domobar
Grinder: La San Marco SM90
Drip: TechniVorm; Clever Coffee...
Roaster: Sunbeam gas grill
Posted Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:25pm

Pour hot water into your cup to preheat it, then toss it before pouring in the coffee.  Making a single cup of coffee in a brewer and pouring the brew into a cold cup will cool the coffee too much for many people's liking.

I would actually not preheat that cup, for if you pour the right temp water (196-202?) over those grounds, that will heat the cup just fine, and the coffee will still be plenty hot (if not too hot) to drink.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MAgeek

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Anita
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed Oct 26, 2005, 9:19pm

Could I add another testamonial to unbreakable pourover filter holders:  combined with a stainless  thermos and a hot pot for boiling water, they are an essential coffee survival tool while traveling weekends in New England.

Some of you may consider paper filters and preground beans (enough for a saturday and a sunday morning) a little beyond the pale.  However, I'd argue there's a huge upside to having real coffee in bed, huddled under a down comforter just after waking from a cool fall or winter night at a bed and breakfast.  

Having it without the french press cleanup drill or the silly conversations over bad brown water downstairs makes things all the more delicious.

Thanks
Marty
showing page 2 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270120859146)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+