Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Use a Pour Over Brewer
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cremaman
cremaman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Giotto, Stainless Steel Moka...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Krups Blade
Drip: Melitta Cone Filter Holder
Roaster: Popcorn Popper
Posted Fri Oct 28, 2005, 6:55am
Subject: Re: How to Use a Pour Over Brewer

I use the Melitta pour over at work, but I use a slightly different method. Instead of placing the grounds into the filter and pouring the water over them, I first put the grounds and the water in a paper cup, letting them sit for a few minutes, (stirring occasionally), and then I pour the mixture into the filter.
I believe that this technique lets me get away with using a cheap blade grinder and results in a stronger, richer brew although one with more caffeine in it.
 View Profile Link to this post
scubadoo97
scubadoo97

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: got one of those too
Drip: Aeropress, Clarity, FP,...
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Sat Oct 29, 2005, 6:11am

aurelio Said:

But please tell us more about cloth filters!!  Where to buy 'em?  Which brand!  How to clean them!
Aurelio

Posted October 23, 2005 link

I have what is called a colador de tela.  It is the same thing.  A cloth filter with a handle.  It is used to make Cuban coffee.  If you have a latin market in your area take a look.  Usually can be found for around $1.50

link
rcs914
rcs914
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar OC, PID'd Silvia
Grinder: Lux & Cimbali Jr
Vac Pot: E-santos,Santos, Hario
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Roaster: Turbo Crazy
Posted Mon Nov 7, 2005, 3:44am

scubadoo97 Said:

I have what is called a colador de tela.  It is the same thing.  A cloth filter with a handle.  It is used to make Cuban coffee.  If you have a latin market in your area take a look.  Usually can be found for around $1.50

link

Posted October 29, 2005 link

They sell those in Wal-mart here.  I call them  "Coffee Socks".  

Chris

Please remember CoffeeKids throughout the year:  www.coffeekids.org
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
BRB
BRB

Espresso: La Pavoni PUB Automatic
Grinder: built in
Drip: Bunn
Posted Mon Nov 7, 2005, 10:03am

One issue here... prices are in US funds (Amazon. com)...
Andijazz

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional
Grinder: Kitchen Aid Mill (Model A-9)
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum Santos Mini
Posted Sat Nov 19, 2005, 6:37am

Mark, I have a Kitchen Aid model A-9 coffee mill. I really like it. What do you think of this coffee mill as far as grinding in comparison to others you mentioned? I'll welcome anyone's input as well. Thanks.
Chockfull
Chockfull

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Anfim
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C-50
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: i-Roast
Posted Fri Nov 25, 2005, 8:44pm

Very interesting method.  I like the photos especially.  As I got further into the piece it occurred to me that this method is really very similar to that I have used since the 60s (exclusively until recently)--Chemex.  Substitute a cloth filter in the Chemex and you would essentially duplicate this system.  All the use and care instructions about water temperature and such comments from readers would apply.

As for comments about where to get cloth filter: could these be so difficult to make?  From experience with the Sunbeam C-50 vacuum brewer I should emphasize that cloth filters seem to accumulate rancid oils over time and can be renewed with alkaline cleaners such as household ammonia or Urnex Cafiza.
shurdell

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: 1
Vac Pot: 1
Drip: 1
Posted Tue Nov 29, 2005, 1:08am

Sounds so good the way you put it, I want some coffee and I am already having a cup. lol.
Java_Dave
Java_Dave

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Melitta Pour-Over
Roaster: Toastmaster :-)
Posted Sat Dec 3, 2005, 11:15am

Great article!  I had never heard of cloth filters before and will now give one a try.

One thing I might add that hasn't been suggested yet:  When using my Melitta brew cup I pour the water over the ground coffee and then cover the top of the Melitta brew cup with a small plate or saucer.  I find this keeps the heat in during the brewing process and results in a much hotter cup of coffee.  I also preheat my mug with hot tap water.

"Some of the best coffee I ever tasted was done in a home corn popper."  Jabez Burns
randikash

Posted Mon Dec 5, 2005, 6:18pm

Hi, I'm new!  What an interesting site!

I have two questions on this tutorial. Looking at the photos, it seems that the coffee is being held in a small filter in the upper part of the pot. So it is not circulating through all the water? Does it make a difference than if you mix all the water with the grounds, then filter it?

I use my Melitta pot (manual, not automatic pot) kind of backwards from how it is supposed to be used. I put the grounds in the pot then add the water and stir (like a huge french press. I cover the pot and let it sit 4-5 minutes. Then I filter it, usually with the gold filter, into a thermos.

I'm no expert because I was born without being able to smell, so my taster certainly isn't up to yours, but I am always looking for a better way to brew. Trying to figure out if the coffee shop coffee is better just because it's stronger, or what!

Also, I'm interested in how the filters get washed. If they are not available in the US, can we make them from fabric?

Sincerely, Lily Winter (randikash)
coffeeblack

Grinder: Braun
Drip: paper / cone
Posted Thu Dec 8, 2005, 1:59pm

Have you been compared to the Nuclear Power Industry lately?  They also like to overlook the end product of their process.  
   Please include your cleanup methods when "how to"- ing  - -  or perhaps you might post a discussion of less water-wasting methods of cleanup, which is my peeve when considering frenchpress or cloth filter methods.  Also info regarding the effects of grounds on gardening welcome.
   And there was a question about Why pour hot water Through coffee instead of Combining hot water and coffee and Then Filtering that  - -  would that not produce a stronger cuppa??
   Thank you for being out there and helping with improving life's necessities, much appreciation and gratitude  - -
showing page 3 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.443321943283)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+