Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Espresso Con Panna!
Oy, Don't Forget the Tea
Because not everyone drinks coffee.  Organic, English Breakfast tea, as low as $16/lb.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Espresso Con...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
Rusto
Rusto
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Miss Silvia
Grinder: SJ
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Thu Nov 26, 2009, 5:52pm
Subject: Re: Espresso Con Panna!

I can't believe that he has left out the two or more most important steps! After pulling the shot you have to fill your mouth with whipped cream. And after drinking the "Panna" you must repeat the previous step until you either run out of cream or pass out. Amateur!   ;p

Hey, man. Nice shot.
 View Profile Link to this post
coffeemakerstore

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Dec 9, 2009, 8:29pm

Thanks... that'll probably make espresso easier for me to drink.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sleekyG

Posted Tue Jan 12, 2010, 11:15pm

My older cousin loves making Espresso Con Panna every time we come by to their place. :D

Very nice article about it MarkPrince! :D Thanks a lot!
Pitruzzo

Espresso: Pavoni lever, R Silvia
Posted Sat Jun 12, 2010, 11:48pm

Ever heard of Italy? Caffe' con panna existed there long before Starbucks was even conceived. Sure, Starbucks invented coffee too. Starbucks are so unoriginal even their name comes from Herman Melville.
Endymion73

Posted Thu Nov 3, 2011, 10:13am

pstam Said:

As you said, "Essentially a Starbucks invention (but it has previous roots)...", so its name had some mistake of spelling.  In Italian, as my daughter pointed, it should be "Panne", not "Panna".  Since it can not be single, only plural form.

I think that it is better to consult an Italian for its correct spelling.

Posted February 15, 2005 link

It is actually the other way around.
I am an Italian native speaker and what you say is as wrong as it can get.
"Panna" is ALWAYS singular and never becomes plural, indeed, the whole name "caffè con panna" (or espresso con panna, but we call it caffé, not espresso, unless you work in a bar) is invariable.
For example, if you want to say that there are many types of cream, you'll say "ci sono tanti tipi di panna", if you say "tanti tipi di panne" you sound either uneducated, voluntarily "alternative" or foreign.
"Panne" exists only in the fixed expression "in panne" referred to cars or other vehicles, which basically means broken or otherwise unable to move for mechanical reasons. It's an old fashioned expression that probably now is obsolete.

That said,
Starbucks didn't invent anything. My father is 79 and has never been outside Italy, and we've been having coffee "con panna" ever since I was a kid (and I'm 38) usually, instead of canned whipped cream we buy cream from the gelataio and whip it just before adding it to the coffee.
You can also dress the "panna" with some cinnamon powder. Heaven in a cup of espresso.
parkerto
parkerto

Grinder: Hario Mini Mill
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: French Press
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011, 1:58pm

The Con Panna.  Perhaps the best espresso beverage on the planet when you have freshly piped whip cream.
toygrr
toygrr
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Sat May 5, 2012, 11:30pm

Marketed by Starbucks or not, I will admit that I do indulge in this Pretty often :)

Switch it up a bit, Easy guide ;D
TedM
TedM
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: Kyocera Hand
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 1:32am

I just stumbled across this.  I must entirely disagree w/the provenance of cafe' con panne.

Certainly in Milano, this is a popular drink.  I don't know about the rest of Italy, but it's quite common in the coffee bars of Milano.  I first discovered it there a few years ago, when a colleague I was visiting introduced it to me.  Luckily, I visit only infrequently or else I'd not fit through the front door anymore...

It is the most amazing drink - ever.  The contrast of textures...temperatures...sweet and sharp.....I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
Keurig

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 6:54am

Yeah I've drunk this a few times it's soo nice!
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Espresso Con...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.222229957581)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+