Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Guide Article Feedback
How to Buy an Espresso Machine
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > How to Buy an...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu May 3, 2007, 6:51pm
Subject: Re: How to Buy an Espresso Machine

welone Said:

A must for anyone standing at the edge of the infamous 'rabbit hole'. definitely saves a huge read-up when starting!

Concerning the important details of the machine, I would add the absolute boiler size for the lower end single boiler machines. My gaggia classic (with a 3.5 oz boiler) drops 8 to 16 degrees Fahrenheit during a double shot which is quite a different compared to a Rancilio Silvia (12 oz boiler) for which only a gew degrees (less than  5 degF) are reported. I'm well aware that the imperative of rock stable intrashot stability is a controversial topic - but nevertheless I've never seen someone advocating for a drop of 10 degrees Fahrenheit during an extraction. On the other hand there are also advantages to small boilers, especially when coupled with a powerful heating element. It's a good option for people who want to have minimum initial heat up time and a quick cool down from steaming to brewing temperature. Furthermore there also appeared a machine with a steaming microswitch which greatly improves the ease and durability of streaming with small boilers (it automatically turns on the heating elements the moment the steam valve is being opened).

Posted May 3, 2007 link

You should have seen the content chopped from this Guide!

The thing is, by the time I hit 10,000 words, I knew some stuff had to go. By the time I was up to 12,000 words, I was begging Cindy to gut parts of it! And still, the entire guide clocks in somewhere around 16.500 words.

I had some details in the semi auto pages about how to tweak and get the most out of the most popular machines, like the gaggias and silvias and so on, including some tips on how to temp surf the silvia, using the steam switch to stabilize the temperature more, etc, but ultimately, pulled it all out. Maybe I can get someone who has more current experience with a Silvia than I have to write the ultimate "how to" on using the Silvia, and we'll put that up as its own article.

But I'm glad you wrote the above - that's what I was hoping for in the thread for this guide - people writing their own contributions to make this resource as good as possible.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mcKoffee
mcKoffee
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBM DD, Bricoletta, Audrey,...
Grinder: Major,SJ, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Gold Royal Balance
Drip: When it rains...Aero,...
Roaster: USRC3k,CCR HT, Behmor, Cafe...
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 9:42am

MarkPrince Said:

You, sir, are hardcore! :D
Mark

Posted May 3, 2007 link

I've been called worse! :-O  Just in case someone thinks I'm making this up, and while I don't make 'em often, made one this morning. Milk texture wasn't the best and no comments on mach art or uh, lack there of, but it tasted good! (and to make matters worse using skim milk 'cuz SO says so)

For scale, that demi is one Dr. John passed out at his booth NASCORE '02, 4oz filled to the very rim.

FWIW using 2 hole restrictor tip like GP2 but the brushed SS one from EPNW. Bric's boiler 1.1-1.2bar swing inc. overshoot. (Have tight 0.05bar heater toggle Barksdale pstat)

mcKoffee: Mach1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
mcKoffee
mcKoffee

Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 9:43am

pic 2

mcKoffee: Mach2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

mcKoffee
mcKoffee

Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 9:43am

pic 3
Empty milk pitcher, no milk waste machiatto!

mcKoffee: Mach3.jpg
(Click for larger image)

CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 9:59am

Very nice Mike! {:-D

I have a Malabar Gold glass I got personally too from Dr. John @ the Atlantic City Coffeefest on Sat June 8th 2002 & that same style & size ss cream pitcher from 1st-line in 2001. {;-)

CraigA: Pict0243.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
mcKoffee
mcKoffee

Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 10:55am

CraigA Said:

Verynice Mike! {:-D

I have a Malabar Gold glass I got personally too from Dr. John @ the Atlantic City Coffeefest on Sat June 8th 2002 & that same style & size ss cream pitcher from 1st-line in 2001. {;-)

Posted May 4, 2007 link

Cool, yours is more vintage than mine, Nov. '02 IRRC. And yours still pristine. The paint had partially chipped off one of the two I was able to snag so finished the job and had them "etch printed" along with the other clear glass demi's I had made for the Sweet Maria's home roaster's List Pacifc Nortwest Gathering III in '05.

Have you tried steaming just enough milk for one machiatto yet!? :-) It's an interesting challenge!

CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 11:05am

Thanks for that info!

Yep, I tried it a couple of years ago before the OPV mod, pid., but I did have my 150C steam stat installed then (stock is 140C). {:-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
mcKoffee
mcKoffee

Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 12:21pm

CraigA Said:

Yep, I tried it a couple of years ago before the OPV mod, pid., but I did have my 150C steam stat installed then (stock is 140C). {:-D

Posted May 4, 2007 link

Just curious, how were your results? Don't think boiler temp/pressure would make too much difference in being able to pull it off if you played the steam via the valve. (Which was how this Article Feedback thread got quasy hi-jacked:-0)

MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 12:28pm

mcKoffee Said:

Just curious, how were your results? Don't think boiler temp/pressure would make too much difference in being able to pull it off if you played the steam via the valve. (Which was how this Article Feedback thread got quasy hi-jacked:-0)

Posted May 4, 2007 link

Actually - yeah ;)

The discussion is very interesting, but I was wondering if you could spin it off to a new thread, and keep this thread about the Guide?

Thanks!

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 12:35pm

I'd like to see a discussion of the features, pro/con, of the different group heads.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > How to Buy an...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337229013443)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+