Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Guide Article Feedback
How to Buy an Espresso Machine
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > How to Buy an...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
vernonbishop
vernonbishop
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: KitchenAid KPES100NP
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky w/doser
Vac Pot: Bonjour French Press
Drip: Capresso
Roaster: None
Posted Wed May 26, 2010, 12:30pm
Subject: Re: How to Buy an Espresso Machine

Thanks for the great guide for beginners!!  I really appreciate that you don't have to buy a $10K espresso machine with a $3K grinder and all the really expensive stuff that I cannot afford in my lifetime, in order to enjoy espresso!!  :-)

I just upgraded and I really like what I have and for my rather limited budget ($1,000 for everything), I really can't wait to make better espresso and other drinks for myself!!!  :-)

Thanks again Mark, way to go!!!  :-)

Vernon
 View Profile Link to this post
christmanj

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Nov 27, 2010, 11:56am

Thank you for this guide!  Highly recommend this! Wish I would have seen it sooner.
AlexD

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 1:43pm

Great document for anybody looking to get started in the world of making espresso at home.  Helped me get an idea of what I needed to budget for to have a solid set up for the home.  Before reading this all I was looking at was the espresso machine, not the grinder and accessories.  It gave me a new perspective in my search.
PamStackhouse

Drip: Mr. Coffee
Posted Fri Jul 8, 2011, 10:41pm

Mr. Prince, just discovered your site this afternoon when searching on the web for a coffee/espresso maker.  Started reading your article & within about 3 sentences discovered how illiterate I really am.  I then started reading the review you did on the new Briel double broiler machine & thought what a great machine!  I think if I were to buy it I would have to perform CPR on my husband when he saw the cost & I must admit it all seems extremely overwhelming.  I didn't even understand half the terms you used regarding the process of using the machine.  Is there a machine that someone as inexperienced as I am could buy to "learn on and then move up to the more expensive models?  I am already looking for a better grinder (I really did pay attention), as I currently have a (collective gasp) blade grinder.  Maybe something in the $300 - $400 range just to learn the basics? I will have your web site to refer to for pointers as I begin the process but I have been looking for hours now & am still over whelmed.  Thanks for any suggestions you or any other coffee geek family member might have. I will also re-read your article to see if I can glean more pearls from it!
PS This is also the first time I have ever written anything in a forum before so if this was the wrong place to put my request any guidance to the correct forum would be greatly appreciated.
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Modded Oscar
Grinder: Anfim Lusso, GM 875
Vac Pot: Air Pot
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, CC
Posted Fri Jul 8, 2011, 11:04pm

PamStackhouse Said:

Mr. Prince, just discovered your site this afternoon when searching on the web for a coffee/espresso maker.  Started reading your article & within about 3 sentences discovered how illiterate I really am.  I then started reading the review you did on the new Briel double broiler machine & thought what a great machine!  I think if I were to buy it I would have to perform CPR on my husband when he saw the cost & I must admit it all seems extremely overwhelming.  I didn't even understand half the terms you used regarding the process of using the machine.  Is there a machine that someone as inexperienced as I am could buy to "learn on and then move up to the more expensive models?  I am already looking for a better grinder (I really did pay attention), as I currently have a (collective gasp) blade grinder.  Maybe something in the $300 - $400 range just to learn the basics? I will have your web site to refer to for pointers as I begin the process but I have been looking for hours now & am still over whelmed.  Thanks for any suggestions you or any other coffee geek family member might have. I will also re-read your article to see if I can glean more pearls from it!
PS This is also the first time I have ever written anything in a forum before so if this was the wrong place to put my request any guidance to the correct forum would be greatly appreciated.

Posted July 8, 2011 link

Here is a great starter article to read.

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtobuyanespressomachine

You can of course come back with more questions if you have them, Mark is a busy guy so I thought I'd start you in the right direction in the mean time.

Good luck and welcome to CG,
-James

Edit: Did I just link you back to the same article by mistake? I thought you said you had read the review of the Breville Dual Boiler, LOL. See what happens when you stay up too late on the computer? This is the article I was going for. http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide.html

Load and Lock.
mikeelovescoffee
mikeelovescoffee

Posted Mon Jul 11, 2011, 4:29pm

I have been a long time reader of your site and thought its about time to become a member and start contributing to the community. I have been lingering with the idea of getting a Rancilio Silvia and this article really sealed the deal for me. Now I just have to decide where to buy it from. Any articles on the best retailers that sell the Rancilio Silvia? Thanks for all the info..
jdr1963

Posted Fri Aug 12, 2011, 10:31am

I am looking for a home espresso machine that uses the "spinning" technique to brew instead of the pump. Anyone know who makes one?
Thanks,
John
reshma

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Feb 3, 2012, 5:16pm
Subject: What coffee to use for coffee and espresso maker

i am about to purchase a coffee/espresso maker. Can you please advise what coffee is best to use in the machine for both types of beverages and where i can find the best most economically priced coffee.
thanks.
mogan

Espresso: Yes
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 11:18pm

Aaaah.. I just got mine a fortnight ago. I wish I had known this earlier I could have made a better purchase!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > How to Buy an...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23254609108)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+