Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Guide Article Feedback
How to Buy an Espresso Machine
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > How to Buy an...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 12:39pm
Subject: Re: How to Buy an Espresso Machine

mcKoffee Said:

Just curious, how were your results? Don't think boiler temp/pressure would make too much difference in being able to pull it off if you played the steam via the valve. (Which was how this Article Feedback thread got quasy hi-jacked:-0)

Posted May 4, 2007 link

Yes, exactly.. those mods came much later.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
mcKoffee
mcKoffee

Espresso: VBM DD, Bricoletta, Audrey,...
Grinder: Major,SJ, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Gold Royal Balance
Drip: When it rains...Aero,...
Roaster: USRC3k,CCR HT, Behmor, Cafe...
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 12:48pm

MarkPrince Said:

Actually - yeah ;)

The discussion is very interesting, but I was wondering if you could spin it off to a new thread, and keep this thread about the Guide?

Thanks!

Mark

Posted May 4, 2007 link

Sorry Mark, any further steam play discussion move to this thread
"How many of you adjust steaming power with the steam valve?"

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
LarryLaurel

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Tue May 8, 2007, 12:36pm

Excellent guide, Mark, but in the grinders section, you said...

At the end of the day, it may boil down to aesthetics when considering which one is right for you - the Mazzer is available in black, painted grey, stainless, and chrome, whereas the Macap is only available in chrome / brown smoke plastic.

Re. the Macap, that just ain't so, as the beautiful black M4 in my kitchen will attest.  Actually, according to the Macap web site, the M4 doserless comes in silver, gunmetal, black, red, and chrome, while the doser version adds the copper, and brass finishes.  All of these might not be available in every country, but we do have more choices than chrome here in the USA.

Other than that, and a couple of punctuation glitches, this is the guide which should have been around since day 1.

Good job!

Larry
 View Profile Link to this post
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2007, 5:49pm

Nice job! Good writing, clean layout, and wonderful photography, as usual.

Just one comment: a bottomless portafilter would be a great addition to the list of recommended accessories.

And one question: where can I buy a Robur for $1500?

For a long time, I've been a fan and promoter of the Mazzer Mini grinder, and I remain so - it's a great choice that gives you the legendary Mazzer quality in a size that fits on most kitchen counters, and it won't break the bank as the Mazzer Robur (at $1500) might.

____
John
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sun Jul 8, 2007, 11:21am

MarkPrince Said:

How to Buy an Espresso Machine has seen some updates, and it ran for such a short time on the front page, I've updated it and set the publication date to this month to get it back up front and centre.

Thanks Larry for the info on the Macap. I'll go in and change that information. AFAIK, the colours imported into the US are pretty limited though?

Mark

Posted December 26, 2009 link

Nice job, Mark. One suggestion (of course): add a few words about choosing between a heat exchanger and single boiler, such as which sort of use patterns each is best suited for.

Marshall
harrymanback
harrymanback

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Sun Jul 8, 2007, 7:53pm

when i got to the bottom of page two, grinders, i read: "in my main espresso room...."  holy moses, man!  how many espresso rooms you got?  is there a room just for press-pots?

but seriously, i know this guide wasn't supposed to be specifically about brands (although it did flirt with them in some areas), but i wish coffeegeek would do a first or in depth review of the expobar brewtus ii.  and i agree with rmongiovi in that a discussion of groupheads or even portafilters would be great.

and actually, while home-barista has a nice review of both machines, i'd like to see a straight head to head: la spaziale vivaldi s1 vs. expobar brewtus ii.  53mm vs. the traditional 58?  3-way electric solenoid vs. 3-way manual lever?  rotary pump vs. vibe pump?

ok, i digress.  seriously, main espresso room?  dude!

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sindikato

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2007, 2:52am

i need help regarding a 2nd hand carimali expresso machine..problem is i dont have any idea on how to use it..been to carilmali site cant understand french..i need a manual,....thanks
fatnat79

Espresso: Grimac Mini
Grinder: K30 ES
Vac Pot: Yama / Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Gene Cafe / Popcorn Roaster
Posted Wed Jul 11, 2007, 11:26pm

Very informative guide Mark, thanks for that.  I know this article is for the first time espresso machine buyer, but I have a question to add on.  I have used a Rancilio Silvia for a few years now and am starting to get that upgrade itch.  Do you (or anyone else) have any thoughts on what the next machine upgrade might be? I definitely want a HX machine as I would like to be able to switch from brewing and steaming w/o the wait,  which is my main concern, but are there any other major upgrade features that I should be on the lookout for when shopping for the next bigger and better machine?  Thanks for any input.

P.S. I'll be on the lookout for that next "how to" article for the Silvia. =)
shinnara

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2007, 10:53pm
Subject: service of la marzocco

i sent inquiry e-mails to la marzocco but a reply e-mail doesn't come.
it seems that they don't reply.
please consider it before you order a product to them.
i have already ordered gs/3 last january and even now it has not delivered to me.
hedgehogfrenzy

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2007, 3:27pm
Subject: Krups Machine

OK, OK...I'll admit it...I own a Krups XP series machine.  Since I bought that, I've been reading up on this subject of espresso, and learned quite a bit.  I've spent a lot of time with my machine and gotten pretty good results...better than a lot of places I used to get espresso from.  But, has anyone heard of/seen a way to make the XP machines have a un-pressurized filter.  I'd be curious if this would make my shots better, I'm under the impression it would.  It's still a couple of years till I can upgrade.

I'm still new to the board, let me know if this would be better else-ware.
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > How to Buy an...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29153585434)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+