Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Guide Article Feedback
The Milk Frothing Guide
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > The Milk...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
jester

Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Nov 7, 2003, 1:00am
Subject: The Milk Frothing Guide

The Milk Frothing Guide

Everything you could possibly want to know about milk and milk frothing is presented to you by CoffeeGeek.com, Aaron De Lazzer, and Mark Prince.
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Nov 9, 2003, 5:30pm
Subject: Re: The Milk Frothing Guide

There's one note I want to let everyone know.

We're seriously considering adding a "Version" count to guides. They're so massive, but I'm always of the mind they can be added to or corrected.

For instance, one thing is missing from the latte art portion of the guide - a visual how to. I'm shooting Sammy Piccolo on Wednesday at my house for that, and after post processing, should have the photos online by Thursday or Friday.

In my mind, that takes the guide from Version 0.95 to Version 1.0.

But if, in six months, we add some major stuff, how to indicate it... a version change is probably the best way. I gotta figure out how to indicate that on the guide and how to decide when a version change is major enough to relist the guide on the front page. Maybe a .x increment is enough. So minor edits would be 1.01 etc, and a major change would be 1.1. A complete rewrite would be a 2.0 upgrade :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sjames
sjames
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Expobar eb-61 Office Leva
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Unibuy Syphon
Drip: Are you talking to me?????
Roaster: Genovese Coffee
Posted Sun Nov 9, 2003, 6:19pm

Awesome guide!!!!

You guys are going to put me out of a job!  Great instructions and pics.  Anyone who is new to this can print this out (or take your laptop to the machine)  and steam some magic.  It just takes patience.

Cheers ;-)

Simon James.

Kit:  Expobar EB61 Leva, Mazzer Mini, Pullman Flat & Convex Tampers, Unibuy TCA-3 Syphon.
Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10678575@N07/sets/
Blog - http://sdotjames.wordpress.com/
Rawman
Rawman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Mon Nov 10, 2003, 12:47am

Hi, excellent  guide.  It makes me think that I could actually do this at home.   I have a question about your section on lactose.  Is it possible to make decent drinks using lactose free milk?  I'm lactose intolerant and was planning on trying this once I got my Expobar (Control or Pulser).

Thanks!

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
sjames
sjames
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Expobar eb-61 Office Leva
Vac Pot: Unibuy Syphon
Drip: Are you talking to me?????
Roaster: Genovese Coffee
Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 8:10pm

Mark,

Great thinking, having version #'s.

How could I possibly justify charging $$$ to train people who want to make coffee at home, when they can just look through the CG Guides?  So much for that business idea.  (Sob!)

Cheers ;-)

Simon James.

Kit:  Expobar EB61 Leva, Mazzer Mini, Pullman Flat & Convex Tampers, Unibuy TCA-3 Syphon.
Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10678575@N07/sets/
Blog - http://sdotjames.wordpress.com/
jester

Posted Wed Nov 12, 2003, 11:36pm

Excellent question about the lactose free milk rawman.

We here at the Vancouver office of CoffeeGeek (different from the CoffeeGeek World Headquaters which is located in Richmond) put our best people on the job to answer your question.

Lactaid was purchased, shots poured and milk steamed...

First I was thinking that the milk might taste funny (i.e. not as sweet because the milk sugar had been removed) but that it would foam easily since there should still be lots of protein and fat, our key foaming facilitators.  

Well the milk does taste funny, it tastes sweeter!  It's so sweet I thought they had added sugar but apparently the enzymatic process they use to break down the lactose results in the sweeter taste.  This is the first time I had ever tasted Lactaid...you'll see.  The increase in sweetness is really noticeable only when tasting the cold milk.  Once the milk is steamed it tastes pretty much like regular ol' 2%.

The included picture is to assure you that there is latte art in your future and that lactose free milk will not hold you back in pouring fabulous latte art.

My apologies that the pic isn't super sharp but hopefully you get the idea.  The lactaid performed really well for the couple of lattes I made and didn't behave in any odd or frustrating fashion (i.e. like soy milk).  Seems to work just like regular ol'milk.

Aaron

jester: DSCN2622lactase1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
yobob

Espresso: Starbies Digital Italia,...
Grinder: Bodum Antigua
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, French Press
Drip: Melitta 1:1, thinking about...
Posted Thu Nov 13, 2003, 9:11am

I have a machine with a frothing aid, and couldn't seem to find the groove---sometimes decent foam, mostly not.  I had assumed the side holes were exits, and I adjusted them in an attempt to get a swirl going in the milk.  (The manual didn't tell me how it should have been done.)
After reading your article, I went home, adjusted the adapter so the side holes would both be at the same level in reference to the surface of the milk, and gave it a try, making sure to "surf" the surface as described.
Wow!  Instant success!  What a difference!  
Thanks for a very helpful article!
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Fri Nov 14, 2003, 9:18am

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the speedy answer to my question, and for the picture.  Everyone always tells me that lactose free milk is sweeter.  I wouldn't know since I haven't tasted the other in a long time.  Now all that remains is to convince my wife that yes we do need $750 worth of machine.  :)

Thanks!
medegraa
medegraa

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maesto
Drip: Melitta Fast Brew
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Mon Nov 17, 2003, 7:36am

Aaron,

Thanks for the awesome article.  I was looking to make more foam for Cappi's and I never could make enough.  Your article taught me two things: one, start with more than enough milk.  I was being skimpy and was steaming 6 oz in a 12 oz pitcher so I wouldn't waste any.  Then I would stretch only to 100F.  Now i'm stretching to 120F and using ~10 oz in a 20 oz and making plenty of foam.

The article was very comprehensive and well written.  Great Job!!!

Mike.
el_cabong
el_cabong

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,  Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario Deco, Cory ACB-2
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Roaster: HWP, HG/CIB, SC/CO
Posted Mon Nov 17, 2003, 10:51pm

Aaron - Just a quick note of thanks for an excellent guide. I was able to drastically improve my frothing immediately, just by reading the captions on the Solis example photos (I did read the rest of the article though).

I have read several other extensive how-to's on frothing, but they seemed to cover more chemistry than technique. I found myself thinking "I don't need to know about chemical properties of milk fat, just tell me where to put the steam tip!"

Once again thanks for cutting through the crap and teaching how to do it best with the tools at hand.

Joel
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > The Milk...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.245124101639)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+