Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Guide Article Feedback
The Milk Frothing Guide
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > The Milk...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
blkeagl
blkeagl
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, Silex
Drip: Whassat?
Roaster: Hottop Bean Roaster, HW...
Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003, 2:37pm
Subject: Re: The Milk Frothing Guide

Hi Aaron,

Lovely guide. This web site has been needing more info such as this article. I sure could have used it when I was learning to steam. I still picked up good tips and reminders and now I'll be able to point my wife at it so she can learn at her leisure.

Critiques would be:

• I could have done without the commentary in drink making on what I should be drinking after 10:00 am. I know it was mainly meant humerously and in a teasing way, but it has nothing to do with milk frothing and is of course personal preference.

I certainly wasn't offended, but I could see people becoming so and it frankly added nothing to the article.

• There were more difficult to understand sentences and awkward grammatical constructs  (this is the editors fault, not the writers) than I would have expected from such a professionally presented article like this.

I know I shouldn't complain since I love the article so much and would give it a VERY high rating if ratings still existed, but hey, just wanted to offer areas where it could be improved even more.

Thanks and best regards,

Tarik
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
jester

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003, 9:13pm

Hi Tarik,

Thank you for the very kind critical feedback.  

You did indeed take my comments about espresso drinking times with a pinch of salt as it was intended.  It was meant as food for thought, to spark discussion and finally to add just a lick of colour to what I fear could be an otherwise painfully dry "How-to" article.  

You may have heard about espresso drinking etiquette but I fear than many have not.  I hope that the article might be the first place that some folks, who are new to espresso may have a chance to read of such a thing as espresso etiquette and how certain coffees slip nicely into certain times of the day or certain situations.  These are rough guidelines, much like you often encounter with wines.   Milk with the meal, milk after the meal, breaks from the Italian tradition from which our lovely espresso stems.

You comments about some of the difficult sentences and awkward grammatical constructs is well taken.  I worry about what on one hand may be considered a certain style of writing (i.e. mine) clashing with what is good grammer.  I got none of that good grammer eh?  I would be very quick to admit that I need help in that department and am thrilled that you blame it not on the writer but on my editors.  I couldn't agree more, I need a new editor. :)  I hope that I push the limits of what is grammatically acceptable at the same time as keeping a style of writing that is a little bit fresh and fun.   Your comments graciously suggest that I still have a bit of work to do in that direction and for that I thank you.

Aaron
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003, 11:01pm

blkeagl Said:

There were more difficult to understand sentences and awkward grammatical constructs  (this is the editors fault, not the writers) than I would have expected from such a professionally presented article like this.

Posted November 19, 2003 link

Sure... diss the editor :P

:)

I should post the raw Word article so you see exactly how much editing had to be done <grin> You'll then see the real brilliance behind the Milk Frothing Guide.

:) :) :) :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
blkeagl
blkeagl

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, Silex
Drip: Whassat?
Roaster: Hottop Bean Roaster, HW...
Posted Mon Nov 24, 2003, 12:06pm

Aaron and Mark,

The important point, of course, beyond the espresso drinking etiquette (and I've even heard varying stories about that from friends who've been to Italy) and the occasional awkward sentence is that your meaning was clear, your teasing was entertaining, and clarity is the most important aspect of ANY article, guide, or informative piece.

You both could also just as easily say that I'm getting more than I paid for anyway, coming here! And you would be correct, of course! :-)  

I don't envy you the work and effort that must go into production of such a website, hence, my comments are meant only as supportive critique. I hope you weren't offended.

Anyway, as I said, I give this article a very high rating on my recommended reading list.

Regards,

Tarik

PS - I'm one of those freaks who started in espresso with vanilla latte's and still greatly enjoy something called a latte machiatto, which is kind of the reverse of a normal machiotto.  But you're right, it's really a morning drink for me and I have truly come to appreciate straight espresso (although less often depending on the freshness of my home-roast) and normal cappa's and machiotto's... I still save those yummy mocha's and flavored latte's for the right moods and/or to use up some aging beans (too frugal to just toss them, which is silly considering how much I've spent).
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
el_cabong
el_cabong

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,  Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario Deco, Cory ACB-2
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Roaster: HWP, HG/CIB, SC/CO
Posted Wed Dec 3, 2003, 4:47pm

I found what I'm not sure is a subtle joke, or just a humorous mistake in the frothing guide. On the captions for the Solis frothing example. The second photograph includes the caption "With very cold milk and a cold picture..."

Here in good ol' "Merica" it is not at all uncommon to hear a painting or photograph referred to as a "pitcher". e.g. "Golly Barbara, ain't that a purty pitcher?!" or " I don't think I like those pitchers that Peecasso fella makes."

This is the first time I have ever seen a container type object referred to as a "picture."

Silly, I know, but I'm easily entertained.
CaffeineK8

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Dec 6, 2003, 12:58am
Subject: how about Soy milk frothing ?

How about Soy milk, seems to be an extra challenge, however if I mix some cream or milk product it does just fine with foam..however Soy by itself is a challenge. I own a Starbucks Barista and I am just starting with the machine.
beauraines

Espresso: Capresso C1000
Drip: Cuisinart Automatic Grind...
Posted Thu Jan 1, 2004, 10:40pm

I've been using a machine with a frothing aid for about a year now and it wasn't until I read this guide that I started to make "good" foam.

This guide explained some things that my manual didn't.

Thank you very much!!

Beau
espressobecky
espressobecky

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: French Press, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Apr 14, 2004, 9:07am

Very well done.

I didn't think that I'd be reading anything new, and was pleasantly surprised to see how in-depth you went.  That and the often humorous commentary kept me interested.  

Becky

...and on that note, I need a coffee.
coffeehabit
coffeehabit
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Kony
Vac Pot: none
Roaster: manual 1k drum roaster
Posted Sun Apr 18, 2004, 12:34am

Well, as opposed to some I not only loved the article and will learn latte art - but I also love the small teasers.
Yes, latte is for children, and it is by time that someone has the guts to say so&#61514;
For newbies like me it can be the breaker between having good coffee and just remembering how it feels or, even worse, someone might think that a chain coffee, small cappuccino with 2 shots, is really an espresso.
Luckily I learned to drink coffee over at the Mediterranean, where an ordinary coffee is superior to 99% of what you may find around here, but with the help of Vivace and Aaron I will soon be able to drink this heaven again daily.
espressobsessed
espressobsessed
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco Strada & GB5
Grinder: LM Vulcano, Anfim, Ditting
Vac Pot: Hario Deco
Drip: Metal filter pourover, FP &...
Roaster: Ambex ym-5 with Drumroaster...
Posted Mon Apr 19, 2004, 11:36pm

First off, thanks for putting together such a comprehensive article.  I read it twice, learned SO much!

But, I admit, I am a soy/rice milk drinker.  I would have appreciated more info on soy, especially since it doesn't froth as beautifully as skim.  

Thanks!

blog: espressolab.ca
work: museocoffee.com

owner/barista at Museo Coffee
Saskatoon SK Canada
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > The Milk...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.247335910797)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+