Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Guide Article Feedback
The Milk Frothing Guide
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > The Milk...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
malachi
malachi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Monster Mia (for now)_
Grinder: Monster Cimballi Junior
Vac Pot: Not any more
Drip: never
Roaster: Ecco, Stumptown, Intelli,...
Posted Sat May 22, 2004, 5:31pm
Subject: Re: The Milk Frothing Guide

non-pasteurized soy steams better than pasteurized soy - though neither steam as well as even non-fat milk. and rice milk steams for s**t.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
schuey100

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 4, 2004, 3:13pm

What a fantastic 'How-To'. The pictures helped a lot too.
davidkrauss

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Minni Mazer
Posted Fri Aug 6, 2004, 6:59am

HELP!!!!!!!
I'm having trouble frothing despite having read the wondeful article and practicing for a few months.  Yes I can surf, yes I'm using cold milk and yes - I'm getting decent microfoam.  The problem is I am left with too much hot milk and when I go for a rosette in my cup, it starts off with miilk and by the time i reach the foam, the cup is full.
Any suggestions?
 View Profile Link to this post
19Bars

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nespresso D300
Grinder: Burr of "corse"  :)
Posted Mon Jan 24, 2005, 10:39pm

Aaron DeLazzer's article is great. I want to buy the 20oz "needle nose" frothing pitcher mentioned as well as a good thermometer. I surfed the web but could not find the pitcher. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks. Ed
proximityzero
proximityzero
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Wega Mini Nova
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: vac pots are for pretentious...
Drip: Capresso ST600
Roaster: Behmor 1600, homebuilt fluid...
Posted Fri Apr 22, 2005, 8:35am

I think that home-espresso has similar pitchers. http://store.baristatools.com/5005b.html
Same ones used at espresso vivace for the same purpose. They have nice thermometers as well.
SkyRyders90

Espresso: LM GS/3
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Posted Sun Jul 10, 2005, 6:16am

More of a question than a comment - what are those great espresso cups with the rubber/silicone coating and no handle? I've never seen those before - love them.

-steve

-- Steve

All of life’s big problems include the words ‘indictment’ or ‘inoperable’ - everything else is small stuff. -- AB
Mr_Aroma
Mr_Aroma

Espresso: Rancillio Silvia
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Wed Aug 17, 2005, 1:01am

Hey, the whole milk frothing guide was fantastic. I was very new to the whole 'frothing' scene when I read it and it was very helpful. Now I am steaming like a pro.....well maybe not quite a pro.. but much better.
mikkelrev

Espresso: Alessi Coban
Posted Fri Oct 7, 2005, 9:06am

Hello!
Great guide!

I have a question though:
when using my steamer, sometimes it stops steaming before my milk gets hot, and there is no more steam/pressure. I just tested the steamer without any milk, and it would run for about 70 seconds, which ought to be enough to froth my milk.
Could this problem be because I have
a) just poured a double espresso shot?
b) a broken machine? (I use the Alessi Coban)
c) been using the wrong technique?
d) been steaming into milk, and the machine has had to work harder than it had to when the pitcher is empty, and therefor wont run for 70 seconds?

How long should a steam pipe be able to run for, on a decent domestic espresso machine?
I know that I shouldnt re-steam milk, but would a solution be turning of the steam and let new pressure build up for a short time, and start over again?

Regards, Adam.
ChicagoSandy
ChicagoSandy

Espresso: Quickmill "La Cora,"  Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Presses, Aeropress
Drip: postnasal, Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast2, SC/TO
Posted Fri Oct 7, 2005, 9:37am

Hate to break it to you, especially since you probably paid a pretty penny for it, but the Alessi Coban is not in the class of serious home espresso machines. It is, for all its gorgeous design (which explains the price), a basic pump machine in the same class as an entry-level Saeco, or even a Krups, DeLonghi, or Capresso Ultima thermoblock.  I have owned a few of this class of machine, and you are lucky if you get enough steam off of one cycle to froth enough milk for one small cappuccino.  I have seen a friend's Krups steam toy (non-pump) produce more frothing power on one fill-up than my Krups 964 or Capresso Ultima could muster--almost as much as my Saeco Rio Vapore or Estro Profi, both of which had true boilers.  Running out of steam is the other reason (the main one is inferior shot quality) why upgrade fever strikes basic-pump owners. Moving up to a Gaggia, FF or Silvia (or Isomac single boiler) will give you much more steaming power, though not as much as you'd get from even the cheapest heat-exchanger machine.  That being said, make sure the boiler has been descaled and your steam wand is not clogged.

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
-------------------
Life's too short to drink lousy coffee, play crummy guitars and write with ballpoint pens.
mikkelrev

Espresso: Alessi Coban
Posted Fri Oct 7, 2005, 10:52am

Hey.
I knew that the Coban wasn't such a great machine before purchasing it, after reading a few reviews, but the looks of it caught me and since I'm new to this addiction, (espresso, that is) I thought it'd do. Well, I'll have to work my way around the steaming, and perhaps I shouldn't expect to make great foam, and the next time I buy an espresso machine I'll upgrade a level or two.
Thanks anyway :)
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > The Milk...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207935094833)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+