Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Macap M5 Dosing Espresso Grinder
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Macap M5 Dosing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DavidMLewis

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Infuze
Drip: Clever
Roaster: Hottop, HWP
Posted Mon Aug 9, 2004, 11:00am
Subject: Re: Macap M5 Dosing Espresso Grinder

Hi Mark,

Nice work, as always. There are two things I think you might add when you do the detailed review. One is, as another poster said, to mention whether the grinder has something like the Mazzer's mechanism to take the play out of the threads. In other words, do you get the same shot times when you come to a given setting from each direction? The second would be, with a stepped grinder, to mention the size of the steps in microns of burr spacing change per step. The Rocky, for example, has 90 detents per revolution and 1.25 mm pitch on the burr carrier threads, so the burr spacing changes by 13.9 microns per detent. A useful metric for comparison. Thanks again for the great work.

Best,
   David
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SwimmerDave
SwimmerDave

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Macap M4/M5
Drip: Mr. Coffee Thermal
Roaster: HotTop, Variac'ed Pumper
Posted Mon Aug 9, 2004, 2:38pm
Subject: Thanks for the review

Mark,
  Thanks for the time and attention spent in researching and writing this first-look review. An M4 I ordered from Chris' arrives tomorrow and I feel like I already know it :-)

David
 View Profile Link to this post
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Aug 9, 2004, 8:08pm

Mark,

We applaud you for a good job on the Macap First Look. Although almost all items are on the mark, we would just like to point out a two 'minor' details that were overlooked and would avoid any confusion by the coffeegeek community...

a) There are three holes on the front portion of the doser. Macap has included a tamper which can be assembled (only 2 holes required) into the doser, and

b) Limiter on grind adjustment wheel - this item serves a dual purpose. It actually needs to align with the open slot in the bean hopper to prevent the accidental removal of the bean hopper by an unsuspecting person.

Sincerely,
Jim
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
dalton
dalton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Francis! X5,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum 1 cup, many presspots
Roaster: Z&D
Posted Thu Aug 12, 2004, 3:34pm

Nice review!  It's funny how Coffeegeek's first looks rival most any other consumer guide's complete reviews.

Dalton

randyr

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM 2grp FB70
Grinder: LM Swift, Mahkonig Guatemala
Drip: Fetco CBS-31AAP
Posted Tue Oct 19, 2004, 9:01am

I'm surprised you didn't mention that Macap is best known in the US for their automatic tamper.

I'd really like to see a comparison of profesional grade grinders that are reasonably priced including the Mazzer Mini, the Macap and the Cimbali Jr grinder, the Pasquini Moka, the Rancilio MD40 grinder and possibly the La Pavoni proffesional grinder that 1st-line sells.

The reason I say this is because I have not been impressed with the Mazzer (especially since it isn't available without a timer anymore,) while the Cimbali Jr is probably the best. The Mazzer is harder to clean and noisier than other profesional grinders that I have used in my limited experience. I have a Mazzer Super Jolly but it is my understanding that all Mazzers are built basically the same other than the electronic doser model.

The only Mazzer I think would be really worth owning compared to other professional grinders is the Mazzer Robur or Mazzer Kony that both have connical burrs.
William

Espresso: Cremina, La Scala Butterfly,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Sat Oct 23, 2004, 4:50pm

Hi,
the Macap M5 looks identical to the La Scala M5 (www.lascala.it).
Both come from Venezia.... Is it the same machine?

William
NeoMatrix
NeoMatrix

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Robur
Posted Sun Nov 28, 2004, 2:24pm

randyr Said:

...I'd really like to see a comparison of profesional grade grinders that are reasonably priced including the Mazzer Mini, the Macap and the Cimbali Jr grinder, the Pasquini Moka, the Rancilio MD40 grinder and possibly the La Pavoni proffesional grinder that 1st-line sells....

Posted October 19, 2004 link

Your wish has been granted....at least with respect to comparison of the Mazzer Mini, Macap and the Cimbali Jr......

Home-Barista.com's Feature Spotlight on Espresso Grinders

Wes
Kimpil

Expertise: Beginner

Posted Tue Aug 2, 2005, 1:08am

Thank you for this 1. impression review. Now it's almost a year to date since this first impression was published, vhen can we expect the full detailed review?
CraigWilton

Espresso: Imat Mokita Combi
Posted Mon Jun 12, 2006, 6:05pm

Crikey,

I had just about settled on the Mazzer Mini after almost settling on the Rocky - now I find this!

The thing that has me going about the M5 is the comments by Mark about the Doser.  A machine at this level that sorts out the doser issues such as left over grinds etc would normally have my vote.  If only the M5 had stepless grind adjustments then I would be sold no doubt.

I'm too used to the stepless adjustments on the Lux that's built into my Imat Mokita Combi.

Anyhow, when I make my mind up either way, it will be a welcome adiditon to the Vibiemme Domobar Super in August  :D
deylat2

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2007, 10:02pm

I am quitedisapointed tht nomntionwas mageoftheabilityoftheM5 togring coffee beans oreither  drip mrthods nor "Frenchpress" coarde grinding. espresso maybe thedomin ofpreference for true coffeeafficionados butsubstantially morecoffeeisconsumed as standard coffee cupsthan is esoresso,
additionally  someofus findthat"Turkish/Greek coffee isth bestwaytoenjoya mallshot and nothing eerseemstobesaidanboutexpensive grinders beingableto grindtotheultra finepowderrequired for the Middle-eastern  prefered drink. Mysupermarket monster  grinder has a setting  forTurkishm,whichItried buttheresult was closer toth medium fine grinds needed  for mypour over manual coffee drip units; longdicontinued plain manualsand a pouroverinto a  thermalcaraffee thtakllow mevariabletimingofthe extrction bymanupulatingtheopeningofthe  crdude  thougheffectiverelease valve.The recommended 4 minute timingyiels a brew a  bitanemic  formytatsteandI go fora seven toten minute extraction, dependingonhecoffee andthereis no need to  : think ofChemexwith adjustabletimingt. itis not a simplepush a button  dealandrequiresmy 10 minute attention but mycoffee is unequaled  by  anyautomatic dripolator andI've tried and discarded a coupleof gozensofsuch machines in all priceranges, noneever couldextract all I wanted from mycoffees: notonly  cnI brew as littleas  one mug( 12 to 14 Ozs butI gaetbetter resultdfrom, let'ssay,a $10 Mexican Chiapas than other get froma pricey MokhaSanaani or a ridiculoudslyiverpriced  Jamaica  Blue Mountain orequally pricey true Kona. The best I ever brewed  were the weeklyrandom  offerings of  roastd coffees  by Sweet Maria.( my apartment isnotconducivetohomeroasting.as an aside,I have  found  sweetMarias' offering  equalorsuperior toeither Intelligentsia orPeets , nevermind  Star bucks and Sattle's  Best, neither  merit  myattention(offering prefround"gourmet" coffee  tellsthetale! Longrant butI said my mind ...
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Macap M5 Dosing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.234395980835)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+