Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Ascaso Arc Espresso Machine
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Ascaso Arc...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Jun 30, 2004, 12:00am
Subject: Ascaso Arc Espresso Machine

Ascaso Arc Espresso Machine

Coming in as an underdog, price-point leading consumer espresso machine, the Innova Arc shows a lot of promise in this First Look.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CremaGuy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Anita HX
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Pitcher/Strnr, Presto...
Roaster: P1 Poppery (modified), FR+...
Posted Tue Jul 6, 2004, 9:24am
Subject: Re: Innova Arc Espresso Machine

Hi Mark,
     Nice review.  Interesting machine; looks good!  Is the boiler brass?  Do they have another model with a 3-way valve?  Is the boiler located directly above the grouphead (like a Gaggia) or offset from it (Like a Silvia) ?

Patrick
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Jul 6, 2004, 2:41pm

CremaGuy Said:

Hi Mark,
     Nice review.  Interesting machine; looks good!  Is the boiler brass?  Do they have another model with a 3-way valve?  Is the boiler located directly above the grouphead (like a Gaggia) or offset from it (Like a Silvia) ?

Patrick

Posted July 6, 2004 link

Thanks
Yes
No
Yes

:)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
stash
stash

Espresso: ECM Botticelli II, Bialetti...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zass 169DG
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum eSantos
Drip: Presto Scandi
Roaster: Hottop & I-Roast
Posted Tue Jul 6, 2004, 7:25pm

Thanks Mark... very nice review.  I am still shopping for a low cost semi-automatic machine and the Innova looks promising.  I did a search for the Innova machines, and came up with a couple of interesting tidbits:
1)  Innova advertises the portafilter as 58mm, not 57mm.  Can you confirm which is correct ?
2)  Innova represents the boiler as either a 225 cc brass unit -or- as a brass or aluminum thermoblock ?  Again, can you confirm which is correct for the Arc ?
3)  One internet retailer in New York is selling the Arc for $700 US, and the Dream for $1000 US.  Seems a bit out of whack compared to the price from Morala Imports.
4)  The water tank for the Arc (2.0 liter) is actually larger than for the Elipse (1.8 l) or the Dream (1.3 l).  You'd think it would be the other way around.

Lastly, when you get around to the detailed review, can you identify the major differences between the three Innova machines ?
cordovero
cordovero

Espresso: Delonghi Perfecta (formerly:...
Grinder: Mazzer
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: I-Roast (formerly: Bemor)
Posted Wed Jul 7, 2004, 9:55am

Thanks, Mark...  I look forward to the full review when it's ready.  I am often recommending/helping friends and family to upgrade to espresso machines and matching grinders at budget prices.  As such, I have had best luck recommending Gaggia Carrezza's and Baby's at discounted prices rather than FF!!'s.  If there is any chance you could compare the Arc to Gaggia's in your full review -- even some throwaway comments based on your past experiences-- I would be appreciative.  - C.
MarkPrince

Posted Wed Jul 7, 2004, 10:09am

stash Said:

1)  Innova advertises the portafilter as 58mm, not 57mm.  Can you confirm which is correct ?
2)  Innova represents the boiler as either a 225 cc brass unit -or- as a brass or aluminum thermoblock ?  Again, can you confirm which is correct for the Arc ?
3)  One internet retailer in New York is selling the Arc for $700 US, and the Dream for $1000 US.  Seems a bit out of whack compared to the price from Morala Imports.
4)  The water tank for the Arc (2.0 liter) is actually larger than for the Elipse (1.8 l) or the Dream (1.3 l).  You'd think it would be the other way around.

Lastly, when you get around to the detailed review, can you identify the major differences between the three Innova machines ?

Posted July 6, 2004 link

Shoot, forgot to address the PF issue in my first look. I've "called" them on this as well - written a letter to innova saying they need to correct that bit of misinformation.

1. The filter basket is 57mm. A "large" 57mm, but a 58mm tamper will NOT fit into the basket.
  2. My test unit has a boiler. I think the all-pod version might be a thermoblock.
  3. The US prices are very whacked out. That's all I can say. Shop around. Inquire if Morala will ship to the US. Call the NY retailer and ask why their mark up is so high.
  4. The water reservoir in the Arc is the biggest of the three - the reservoir is essentially the entire back trunk lower portion of the machine on all three units, and the Arc has the largest back trunk of the three.

Some differences between the Arc and Dream:

- Dream's body is all polished aluminum in the "naked version" (and most expensive).
- Dream has a pressure guage
- Dream's body is cast aluminum throughout, a much more expensive process than plastic / steel plating. This was explained to me as the biggest factor in the almost 80% price increase.

Otherwise, the machines are near identical inside.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
kaanage

Espresso: Bezerra BZ99, Gaggia...
Grinder: NS MCF, Imat Lux, Cunil...
Posted Wed Jul 7, 2004, 9:35pm

It looks like a repackaged version of the LeLit/Nemox/Quaha Junior (brass boiler/57mm PF version).

Is there any chance you could have a look at one of those and comment, Mark?

Greg

do'in it on the cheap
espressobsessed
espressobsessed
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco Strada & GB5
Grinder: LM Vulcano, Anfim, Ditting
Vac Pot: Hario Deco
Drip: Metal filter pourover, FP &...
Roaster: Ambex ym-5 with Drumroaster...
Posted Thu Jul 8, 2004, 9:36am

It does look a lot like the Nemox Junior.  Good eye.

I thought using black plastic was a risky design move; this places it, visually, as a cousin to Krups' machines.  All the same, using chromed metal for the "backsplash" is a very clever design - I think this must be what makes the machine look "more expensive."  Interesting.

Mark, if you're reading this, care to drop any hints on when we might be seeing a Euro2000 review?  :)

-Jimmy

blog: espressolab.ca
work: museocoffee.com

owner/barista at Museo Coffee
Saskatoon SK Canada
UrbanFigaro
UrbanFigaro

Espresso: SGL Big Bar
Drip: Chemex, Melitta Clarity
Roaster: Gimme Coffee, Intelligentsia
Posted Mon Jul 12, 2004, 9:11pm

stash Said:

Posted July 6, 2004 link

Innova doesn't have UL approval for these machines yet, so they aren't available in the US.  The word from Innova is 2-4 months.  I emailed TheCoffee.com about the price on their website.  They said that the internet price was a mistake, and sent me a price list.  Here's the pertinent information:

ARC
Fixed filter holder (pod only)
 - aluminum: $ 580.00
 - brass : $ 660.00
movable filter holderVersatile (ground + pod): $ 550.00
Aluminum polish body: + $ 35.00
2 Years Limited Warranty

ELIPSE (not available)

DREAM
Fixed filter holder (pod only)
 - aluminum: $ 730.00
 - brass : $ 810.00
movable filter holderVersatile (ground + pod): $ 699.00
Aluminum polish body: + $ 85.00
2 Years Limited Warranty

These prices still seem high, but with it not yet available in the US, it seems to me like they are probably rough estimates.  This is my first post, so I feel that I should add that I am in no way affilliated with Innova or TheCoffee.com.  Hope this helps!
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Jul 13, 2004, 12:47am

Those TheCoffee.com prices are thru the stratosphere. You're much better off buying the machines from either Morala (less than $300 USD for the Arc), or there are other vendors in the US who do sell them. You'll have to hunt around though.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Ascaso Arc...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309448003769)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+