Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 27 of 30 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Thu Oct 27, 2011, 8:27pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine

i'm a member of and poster to, coffeesnobs in oz.  didn't know about the crema forums.  perhaps i'll give it a go.

cheers,
peter
(formerly of kooyong, vic, aus)
 View Profile Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Fri Oct 28, 2011, 4:24pm

Dr_Coffee_House Said:

1: OPV 's are not set as advertised, with the current batch.

2: Turn around time for an adjustment or repair; is subject to the workload of the service agents and that means a "drop of and collect" and may be 10days.

3: The group handle can not be removed, should one wish to customise

Posted October 27, 2011 link

This isn't what I've seen at CoffeeSnobs in the mid-priced machines forum.

The evidence of maladjusted OPVs is mixed, at best. Some users have reported gauge readings of 11.5 bar that came down to 9 bar when they reduced their dose a little, These users report excellent taste. I think this represents the current norm.

Breville is making adjustment available, with at least one service center in each major city set up and ready to go. Some service centers are better than others, as you would expect. Apparently they've been advised to set the OPV to less than 10 bar with the blind, and some users report that the service center set it to exactly 9 bar, which results in under-extraction. These users have to go back and get it set to 9.5 bar with the blind to get 9.0 in real life.

This is the first I've seen about the group handle.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sat Oct 29, 2011, 12:56pm

Just fyi, here's a link to the first in a series of posts by Dan Kehn (HB) on this machine: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
Dr_Coffee_House
Dr_Coffee_House

Espresso: Minnore III, BCF, DCM Others
Grinder: MaCap, BZ02, Vario,Eureka
Vac Pot: a few
Drip: one
Roaster: HT, KKTO and Antique French...
Posted Mon Oct 31, 2011, 4:23pm

jbviau Said:

Just fyi, here's a link to the first in a series of posts by Dan Kehn (HB) on this machine: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Posted October 29, 2011 link

And we now see some of the USA people getting involved...  And it is interesting to see the same issue, here is thanks to those involved.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/549808

Bling does not make coffee.... Get over it.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Mon Oct 31, 2011, 5:02pm

The CG owner's thread for the BES900XL is certainly interesting, especially the advice on how to adjust the OPV: click here. It appears that the first batch of BES900XLs in the USA have maladjusted OPVs, and probably for a very funny reason.

They calibrated the OPV with a Scace II installed in the machine, and the Scace itself limits the pressure to something close to 9.5 bar. When you replace the Scace with a blind, you find out that the OPV is actually set to 13+ bar. So they have a so-called calibration step in manufacturing that's a complete waste of time.

Fortunately, the OPV is adjustable, but the fiasco makes you wonder if the Breville people know what they're doing at all.

Is there a taste difference between a machine that's putting 9 bar through the puck with the right combination of time and volume due to the grind, dose, and tamp, and one that puts 9 bar through any old combination of GDT because the OPV won't have it any other way? Maybe not, but I'm no expert on these things.

Still, it seems like the adjustment is pretty straightforward.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
RobertD
RobertD

Espresso: Breville BES900XL "Dual...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Novo is local - yippee!
Posted Fri Nov 4, 2011, 5:57pm
Subject: VST 15/18/22 baskets all work OK

I'm pleased that the 22 g VST basket is working fine on my machine, in contrast with the difficulty that you initially had reported in your "First Look":

> one that fit too tightly to allow unimpeded flow from the basket (a VST 22g)

I'm using both 18 g and 22 g ridged VST baskets (that I had originally purchased and used on my Silvia) on my BES900XL.

Robert
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Sat Nov 5, 2011, 11:44am

Fortunately, the OPV is adjustable, but the fiasco makes you wonder if the Breville people know what they're doing at all.

This kind of thing is a possibility, (probability) with manufacturing businesses that have many layers between the guys who design and build, and the guys who sell, market, what-have-you.  The same thing happens in the car business, especially on the domestic side, where the "shots" are called by bean counters. The engineers obviously know plenty, but are often overruled.  Europeans like BMW tend to have more engineers at the top decision-making levels, and it shows in their products.  Back to your quote... ultimately you're right... at a big appliance manufacturer like Breville, probably 95% of the employees really do not know what they are talking about, but that is by design, and comes with the territory.  Not unusual.  And no reason not to buy a great product from them, either.  IMHO.

-Peter
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Sun Nov 6, 2011, 6:36pm

I'm specifically referring to the calibration step. It appears that the engineering folks have been misled about what you can do with a Scace II, and also about what the factory is actually doing. It appears that the OPVs aren't being calibrated in manufacturing at all, and even if they were they wouldn't be right because they're trying to calibrate a self-regulated stream of water. The Scace II doesn't block the flow, so it can't really be used to calibrate an OPV. It's fine for measuring temperature, but that's all it's good for.

jaandreasen

Posted Tue Dec 6, 2011, 4:58pm

Just an FYI to everyone out there, Williams Sonoma in U.S. is currently offering a 30% discount on the Dual Boiler.  Just picked it up for a pretty penny.
lbp775

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 1:56pm

jaandreasen Said:

Just an FYI to everyone out there, Williams Sonoma in U.S. is currently offering a 30% discount on the Dual Boiler.  Just picked it up for a pretty penny.

Posted December 6, 2011 link

Thanks for the heads up.  I was able to pick one up for $910 out the door.
showing page 27 of 30 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281980037689)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+