Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 30 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Nathan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia v3
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario
Posted Wed May 18, 2011, 7:16pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine

Well you can be at Kees, Marzocco, Synesso levels, or not. So to me it appears as if the e-61 machines that exist are some of the better ones, if you're not at the ~$3000+++ level. If I could get a Speedster I would.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
aecletec

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Presso
Grinder: Faema A6
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed May 18, 2011, 7:20pm

tallyjd Said:

Apparently a lot of companies did not get the memo that the E61 was the bees knees...La Marzocco, Synesso, Slayer, Kees, etc etc.

Posted May 18, 2011 link

You mean they weren't a fan of flushing before every shot...? ;)

I really like the idea of this heated grouphead design with all those features at the price (plus Breville has a good customer support history here) and depending on how it and other new tech fares a-la the Crossland Machine, Mypressi Airo, etc... this may be my new toy...
 View Profile Link to this post
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Modded Oscar
Grinder: Grindmaster 875, WTB...
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, Counter...
Posted Wed May 18, 2011, 10:16pm

It's nice to see a company that pays attention to what consumers, as well as coffee folks, have to say about machine design.

I don't know if Breville will ever have a stellar reputation in this community, but this machine just seems cool, and from a business person's standpoint it will be very interesting to see what such a large company can do with their big R&D budget and far reaching distribution to improve peoples "in the cup" results, who aren't true coffee enthusiasts. (Those who shop at department stores for coffee equipment)

It's clear that this machine is aimed at someone who wants a better espresso, but doesn't want to devote their entire kitchens and lives to it like some of us may want to. I know that I'm in no rush to switch from plumbed to pour-over, or commercial to consumer, but if this thing holds up in the real world, durability-wise, It may be a good stepping stone for non-coffeegeeks to a better cup.

The price obviously reflects the market that it's aimed at, and a machine that can scace within 1F as I think mark was alluding to in the article, may just be a steal at this price point.

They should send one of these to Chris Tacy, I'd love to see an insane, torture review of this thing a-la HB.

Very interesting.

-James

Load and Lock.
JeffPersson
JeffPersson

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II & TWIST v2
Grinder: SM90, Preciso, Porlex, PeDe...
Vac Pot: Yama 8-cup
Drip: trifectaMB, HG, Chemex...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu May 19, 2011, 9:36am

Well this is a very timely First Look. I've been saving to get an Alex Duetto II for my first machine as I really wanted a solid DB machine and was looking for 58mm because of some concerns I had heard about fissuring in the smaller portafilter models. While the durability of the Alex Duetto II is likely to be more substantial (and for almost double the price it should) I don't know that my needs warrant that increase. I'll be using it mostly on weekends for a couple drinks at a time, something the Brevell should be fine for. I'm also an early adopter when it comes to other things, so being a part of the beta group to test it's longevity is not a huge concern for me. I will probably wait until the full review to see the full feedback on the shot consistency and quality before deciding.

By the way, is there any information on who will carry these in the US?

My wife plans to sign me up for the first season of Coffee Gadget Hoarders.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu May 19, 2011, 12:28pm

Still waiting on that information, Jeff. Details are still firming up for final US price, availability (which may not be till August), etc.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Thu May 19, 2011, 2:55pm

I want to clear something up that I read on the Coffeesnobs site in Australia.

I didn't rate this product 9.6. I didn't give it any rating. The "9.6" comes from CoffeeGeek members who are rating the quality of the article, not the product.

Also, I am updating the article tonight with some clarifications, and some further details regarding the way this product was tested and the warranty information.

(btw, really appreciate so many people voting the article quality so highly) :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Nathan

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia v3
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario
Posted Thu May 19, 2011, 5:16pm

I don't want to seem like the jerk, it does indeed look like a compelling product. I'd be interested in trying one out.

But I wonder how things will work out in regards to small parts. A lot of people around here are saying the grouphead gasket needs replacing yearly etc. A lot of machines are using standard parts that are pretty easy to come by. I imagine having to bring in a machine, or even exchange it when you have a small part like the grouphead gasket would be an issue.
MarkPrince

Posted Thu May 19, 2011, 5:20pm

Nathan Said:

But I wonder how things will work out in regards to small parts. A lot of people around here are saying the grouphead gasket needs replacing yearly etc. A lot of machines are using standard parts that are pretty easy to come by. I imagine having to bring in a machine, or even exchange it when you have a small part like the grouphead gasket would be an issue.

Posted May 19, 2011 link

Breville's engineers talked to me about that a bit - they said they're using a combination of materials in the grouphead's gasket / seal design that is designed for long longevity.

Their torture test included simulating 15,000 drink builds:

- PF insert
- run shot 30 secs (with a modified Scace)
- run hot water
- run steam for a specified time (can't remember, but it was the time required to do normal milk for 2 cups)

Fifteen Thousand Times. 8-O

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu May 19, 2011, 10:30pm

Mark...a superb First Look, very even handed, informative and entertaining. LOTS of hours, I imagine.

In response to Nathan, the Aussie's are pretty serious folks about coffee, so I have a feeling Breville will do all they can to make this machine as sturdy and care free as possible. As you mentioned, there is competition over there.

No triple basket option might be a problem for some of the more serious triple restretto lovers, but hopefully will not discourage those who find a 16-18 gram dose sufficient for 1.5/2oz shot. Like you, I love the steam system, and PID on the group. Sure beats the little $3 temp strip glued to the group of my Cremina. LOL

I'll be curious to see how quiet they can make the vibe pump (relatively speaking) as I'm spoiled with my lever..heehee, and my friend's Duetto rotary, which is quiet as a mouse. If they can get to Anita's level, or a bit quieter, that's all one could ask.

Question: does the machine HAVE to operate with the filter? if so, how much for the replacement filter, would you guess?
Dumb question...with a SS boiler, would it be correct to assume that scaling issues (using proper hardness water) might be a bit less a problem than with a brass boiler? Thus a longer period of time before having to do the dreaded descaling?

I guess they didn't provide the handy drain plug at the bottom of the boilers?

Still, this baby is loaded with LOTS of wonderful features, and hopefully things like a faulty pump or guage COULD be user serviced. I do like tinkering with my Cremina, once Doug and Barb calmed me down a bit. LOL

Again, thanks for all the hard work and excellent photos.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
citrofia

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia x3, bezzera, faema...
Grinder: breville, solis, rocky...
Posted Sat May 21, 2011, 6:46am

Wow, I'm a little stunned!
All this in one machine...and from a toaster manufacturer?!

They must have spent a huge amount on R&D for this - it's light years above their other products, and a complete change in market direction for that matter.
It's a generalisation, but in the past they've made 'appliance grade' machines that have been sold at all the usual stockists to people who wouldn't really be interested in pre-infusion or tuning in the grind.  

Now they seem to be aiming at the Silvia owner with upgraditis or aspiring HX owners who are tempted by all the gadgets.
Which is actually a pretty ballsy thing to do because for it to be successful they will need to make a machine that lasts, that people can get parts for, and that you can get serviced without sending it back to aussie.
I doubt the current range would last more than 5 years of regular use and the replacement parts list wouldn't extend much past group seals. Servicing is currently non existent (department stores aren't interested in afters sales service), with replacement being the usual answer. (a friend has a mid-range Sunbeam, his 3rd replacement in 5 years).

I would be very surprised if they make any suggestion of it being user-serviceable. I can imagine their lawyers going green at the thought of Joe Bloggs wading through wiring looms trying to drain a boiler.

Anyway, a great First Look and I'm quietly excited to see what this thing can do.

Iain
showing page 3 of 30 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.265721082687)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+