Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 30 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Spitz
Spitz
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBM DD v3
Grinder: Compak K10 PB
Vac Pot: Hario Vac
Drip: 8c Chemex, Hario Hand-Drip,...
Roaster: Hottop P
Posted Sat May 21, 2011, 10:27am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine

We'll see, I'm interested definitely... Want real world usage
 View Profile Link to this post
JtothaR
JtothaR

Espresso: Modded Oscar
Grinder: Grindmaster 875, WTB...
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, Counter...
Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 1:04am

IMAWriter Said:

No triple basket option might be a problem for some of the more serious triple restretto lovers, but hopefully will not discourage those who find a 16-18 gram dose sufficient for 1.5/2oz shot.

Posted May 19, 2011 link

60mm Hole saw + Stock PF + VST = Triple ristretto =D

-James

Load and Lock.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 3:13am

I'm doing some edits to the article. Some are clarifications, some additions, some corrections:

Corrected: Boiler sizes and wattages

Brew boiler 300ml 600W
Steam boiler 950ml 1000W
Group Head 100W, although the Aus is a 200W element, we're only pushing 100W through it.

The controller on the steam boiler is a thermister, not a thermostat.

Store Shelf Date for Australia is pushed back to July for now (TBA).
Store Shelf Date for US is in August (TBA)

Cup Warming Tray is painted cast aluminum, not plastic or a high tech plastic composite material.

Clarification:
The portafilter WILL work with some triple baskets, including the LM and some Synesso variants. The VST 21/22g also fits in, but literally just barely. Since I believe there needs to be a few mm clearance between the bottom of the basket and the portafilter (for no drag or blocking of the liquid flow), I've amended this to say "some triples will fit, others are too tight". Triples will fit if you leave the black nylon insert in place in the portafilter.

Additions:

Warranty information for Australia
Details on torture testing that Breville did for this product.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Endo
Endo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 9:40am

Brilliant design! Well thought out and innovative.

I always said it was just a matter of time.  Serves the Italian companies right for sitting on their butts feeding us 1960's technology for the last 20 years. Reminds me of when the GM thought Honda was just a joke in the 80s.

Am I ever glad I didn't buy that GS/3 !
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 10:02am

Endo Said:

Brilliant design! Well thought out and innovative.

I always said it was just a matter of time.  Serves the Italian companies right for sitting on their butts feeding us 1960's technology for the last 20 years. Reminds me of when the GM thought Honda was just a joke in the 80s.

Am I ever glad I didn't buy that GS/3 !

Posted May 22, 2011 link

To be FAIR, until we know the steaming ability, shot consistency, and durability of this intriguing machine, to totally dismiss the GS3 is perhaps a bit hasty.
I trust Mark's opinions implicitly, but will withhold a final judgement till he has a true production model and can really run it through it's paces, something that can take several months, I believe?
However, at a price point basically 1/3 that of the GS3, the Breville MUST be taken seriously.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Beezer
Beezer

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: La Cimbali Max Hybrid
Posted Mon May 23, 2011, 10:31am

This seems like a really interesting and exciting machine, especially if it is sold for $1,300 or so in the US.  I like the idea of a PID controlled group (should make flushing unecessary), fully adjustable preinfusion (both for time and pressure), adjustable dosing, very nice controls and layout, and lots of thoughtful features like power cord storage and even a lighted water tank.  It just seems like a very carefully thought out machine.  

I didn't see anything about adjusting brew pressure.  Is that set through the main computer menu, or do you have to adjust the OPV inside the machine like on most other vibe pump machines?  Seems like it should be controllable through the front panel like preinfusion and dosing.  

I do have some concerns about longevity and user servicablity, especially since Breville does not have a great reputation when it comes to customer service.  There seems to be a lot of stuff to go wrong in the machine, and it would be a shame to spend $1,300 and then have to throw it away and get a new machine in a few years.  But I'm encouraged by the fact that the machine has been torture tested and has a relatively long warranty.  With any luck, they will back up their warranty with excellent customer service.

It seems to me that this machine may not be a GS/3 killer given the fact that it only has 1C temp adjustability, versus the much finer adjustability of the GS/3.  But it may be a Vivaldi/Izzo Alex Duetto/VBM Double Domo killer if the quality and reliability is good.  It's hard to justify spending upwards of $2,000 on a double boiler machine when you can get the same or better results with a machine that costs $1,300.  Of course, some people will want the glamor of a real Italian machine, and others will want the assurance that a dealer like Chris or Jim is there to help with any problems, but I suspect many will opt for the cheaper and more high tech solution.
freddiman

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue May 31, 2011, 3:20am

Hey Mark,

Got a question regarding the Pre-infusion, you said in the article that we can have 60% power for pre-infusion if you want to. Does it mean that the BDB (Breville Dual Boiler) can do presure profiling as well? Can we set the first 3s at 20% the other 3s at 60% for the pre-infusion?
ilcaffedio

Espresso: Astra G.A.
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 31, 2011, 5:54am

MarkPrince Said:

The controller on the steam boiler is a thermister, not a thermostat.

Posted May 22, 2011 link

I found it interesting all the way up to this point.  No anti-Breville snobbery.
But I have to say even though it's on the steam boiler, they should be using a thermocouple at minimum.  The increased accuracy of a thermocouple far outweighs the (perhaps negligible) additional cost over a thermistor.  Thus I see that as a petty cost-saving measure, and an indicator that there will be others (such as non-upgradable firmware).  Although vastly different from others in it's price range, this is still a $1200-$1300 machine.
jennifer2002

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: ECM A1
Posted Wed Jun 1, 2011, 6:51pm

Thanks for the initial review.  The machine was launched in a very cool coffee venue so Breville really are thinking hard and putting serious money into this machine.
interesting point that this machine was launched in aussie on the 18th June. Some stores here in Australia are taking pre orders for the July customer sale date I was told. $1498 australian.   Strange it is dearer than in america when it is designed and launched here, but our market is always more expensive for espresso machines and most other appliances.  Seing as our dollar is about $1.06 to the US it should be $1200 launch price.   America will get a $1300 launch price.
Your review is excellent of the machine. Agree on everything. Breville have a pretty good consumer reputation here. and again the review is right, no house in australia has drip filter machines in their kitchens, only espresso machines. I dont think the major stores even sell drip coffee machines. Starbucks had them here in their 90 stores, but the chain failed and now only 6 stores remain. Starbucks comments were that aussies like stronger coffee than their normal customer, and while this may be so I think it is more a case of there are so many coffee shops and espresso has been around for a long long time with all our migrant immigration. especially from italy.  Melbourne and Sydney has thousands of coffee shops and barista competitions and various contests seem to be all the rage.
McDonalds even is launching this Sunday a big ad campaign costing millions in australia that it will stop serving crap coffee and employ baristas. No I am not kidding.  I can send a link if its needed.
I think the machine will sell well, most people want a solid machine in their kitchen that will not break and Breville pretty much have that reputation.  It may not be for geeks, but for the average user I think its a great machine. Long term if you use a credit card and get double warranty it gives us in australia four years back up. You cant beat that. No espresso machine in the world has it, and it would encourage me to recommend it to friends for this reason alone.

Anyway in aussie the machine is called the Breville BES900             and has a RRP of $1,500.

thanks again for the review.  I think the american model number is different due to the 110volts and different power needs.

Click Here (www.tested.com)    not sure if i can link this as it from another site, but it is a good demo video from the guys behind the machine. delete it if needed.
hermeneut

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluizione...
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario; Rocky Doser...
Vac Pot: Why?
Drip: Why?
Posted Thu Jun 2, 2011, 12:29pm

Was gutted to be told by Breville UK that this machine will not be launching here.  Which is what I expected: Breville in the UK is a junk brand - disposable, plastic, garishly designed rubbish which one discards after six to twelve months, because it has broken down and is too cheap to be repaired.  

I'm gutted: if this machine is as good as it promises to be, it hits this particular coffee geek's sweet spot: high-end features, but not intimidating for my wife (who is terrified of the Silvia, never mind the Izzo Alex Duetto I'd had in mind...).

Typical - but Britain is the country of freeze-dried junk and Nespresso; I shouldn't have expected anything else :-(
showing page 4 of 30 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271042108536)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+